What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2021, 07:03:02 PM
Something random...

Carter
Horn Concerto
Martin Owen, horn
BBC SO
Knussen

Was in Symphony Hall for the première (played by our Jas Sommerville) as was the composer, whom I met during the intermission.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on May 13, 2021, 12:53:49 AM
Yes it is. The whole system or lets say 3 of them had to be reset. I took measures to prevent a next time, by putting audio quest Niagara power surge protectors between the secondary and third system, my primary system was already protected by the Thor made by Nordost. I looked at all the fuses in amplifiers, and additional electronics but nothing had to be replaced. The electrical wiring in the listening room will be replaced, and I will put Hi-end sockets in this room that will keep the power lines better in place. I had quite a scare, but fortunately got a second chance.

Very glad of the outcome!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Mendelssohn
Vn Cto in e minor, Op. 64

Schumann
Vc Cto in a minor, Op. 129
Pinchas Zukerman, vn
Leonard Rose, vc
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Lully - Comédies-Ballets (Minkowski)

Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2021, 07:11:26 AM
Was in Symphony Hall for the première (played by our Jas Sommerville) as was the composer, whom I met during the intermission.

Very nice, Karl. Carter seemed like a down-to-earth guy.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2021, 07:16:34 AM

Schumann

Leonard Rose, vc
NY Phil
Lenny[/b]

One of my favourite violin concertos (after Shostakovich 1 and Sibelius)

Traverso

Beethoven

piano sonatas 4-6-7 & 8

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2021, 07:16:34 AM
Mendelssohn
Vn Cto in e minor, Op. 64

Schumann
Pinchas Zukerman, vn
Leonard Rose, vc
NY Phil
Lenny

Much as I did enjoy this. the next CD is one of my favorites in the set:

Nielsen
Fl Cto FS 119
Cl Cto FS 129

Hindemith
Vn Cto

Julius Baker, fl
Stanley Drucker, cl
Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 08:04:36 AM
One of my favourite violin concertos (after Shostakovich 1 and Sibelius)

It's always a beaut, Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Mendelssohn, Felix - Songs Without Words w/ Ronald Brautigam on a Paul McNulty fortepiano (after an 1830 Pleyel) - my first listen on Spotify - I have other recordings on a modern piano, so now on a great sounding reproduction instrument - reviews attached for those interested; physical discs not inexpensive - I guess that BIS could package these as a double set at a more fair price?  Otherwise, the Spotify sound is fine sent to my den stereo.  Dave :)

P.S. for Felix fans, there has been a lot of activity in his thread HERE; also, in 2014, Todd started an excellent review thread on the 'Songs w/o Words' HERE.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2021, 09:23:39 AM
Mendelssohn, Felix - Songs Without Words w/ Ronald Brautigam on a Paul McNulty fortepiano (after an 1830 Pleyel) - my first listen on Spotify - I have other recordings on a modern piano, so now on a great sounding reproduction instrument - reviews attached for those interested; physical discs not inexpensive - I guess that BIS could package these as a double set at a more fair price?  Otherwise, the Spotify sound is fine sent to my den stereo.  Dave :)

P.S. for Felix fans, there has been a lot of activity in his thread HERE; also, in 2014, Todd started an excellent review thread on the 'Songs w/o Words' HERE.

Those have been on my wishlist for ages!  ???

But... as on other occasions, BIS is playing hard to get...  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2021, 10:57:23 AM
Those have been on my wishlist for ages!  ???

But... as on other occasions, BIS is playing hard to get...  8)

Yep! Now they are SACD (which does me no good), but for me $33 USD + across the pond shipping at Presto - $20 both for MP3 DLs which includes booklets - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Que

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2021, 06:41:18 AM
This entire recording:

I had already listened to the various orchesterlieder from this recording but went back and listened to Vier Letzte Lieder and now playing through the recording again. What can I say that hasn't already been said before about this recording? Not much! Schwarzkopf has an individual feel for these works. In the Vier Letzte Lieder, the closest comparison I can make is Cheryl Studer not in terms of timbre, but the highly personal feeling she puts into the words that somehow transcend everything and make the music about Strauss and not herself. Szell's accompaniment, like Sinopoli's, is also on the same lines as Schwarzkopf --- a different perspective, but never about himself. Incredible music-making and the fidelity of this recording is first-rate --- the remastering sounds wonderful.

One of my favourite albums to listen to on vinyl, through valve amps and "warm" sounding speakers. Absolutely divine!

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 12 Op. 26 [Backhaus]

Irons

Alwyn: 1st Symphony.

The cover design - by Keith Hensby as always for Lyrita - is most apt as Alwyn's 1st could easily described as cosmic. My impression was of a timeless vast unpopulated landscape. A stunning symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

When I was a teen the Monteux performance of the Franck symphony was my introduction to the work. I loved the piece  so much that I soon bought another version of it (pictured above). I was sorely disappointed, finding it turgid and uninspiring. Over the years I've become a discriminating fan of Furtwängler's art - sort of a hit and miss scorecard. When he hits, it's bonanza. When he misses, he sounds out of sorts. I've reconciled myself with his view of the work, meaning I now see where he comes from and where he's taking it. I just don't think it's appropriate to Franck's symphony. There's a level of tension allied to a transparency of textures that elude him. I have a dozen other versions that I prefer to this.

I kept that disc (in lp) for a long time because of Ferrier's singing of 3 Rückert lieder - my introduction to that great artist's unique voice.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on May 13, 2021, 01:06:39 PM
One of my favourite albums to listen to on vinyl, through valve amps and "warm" sounding speakers. Absolutely divine!

I can certainly hear how it would sound on vinyl. I'm not a big fan of classical on vinyl (jazz on vinyl is a different story), but I can imagine this sounding fantastic.