Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1090980 times)

vers la flamme, Sergeant Rock, ritter, "Harry" and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #40280 on: May 13, 2021, 09:57:23 AM »
Mendelssohn, Felix - Songs Without Words w/ Ronald Brautigam on a Paul McNulty fortepiano (after an 1830 Pleyel) - my first listen on Spotify - I have other recordings on a modern piano, so now on a great sounding reproduction instrument - reviews attached for those interested; physical discs not inexpensive - I guess that BIS could package these as a double set at a more fair price?  Otherwise, the Spotify sound is fine sent to my den stereo.  Dave :)

P.S. for Felix fans, there has been a lot of activity in his thread HERE; also, in 2014, Todd started an excellent review thread on the 'Songs w/o Words' HERE.

Those have been on my wishlist for ages!  ???

But... as on other occasions, BIS is playing hard to get...  8)

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #40281 on: May 13, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »
Those have been on my wishlist for ages!  ???

But... as on other occasions, BIS is playing hard to get...  8)

Yep! Now they are SACD (which does me no good), but for me $33 USD + across the pond shipping at Presto - $20 both for MP3 DLs which includes booklets - Dave :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #40282 on: May 13, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »
Well, this is indeed a beauty:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-ReOj-e05JQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-ReOj-e05JQ</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40283 on: May 13, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #40284 on: May 13, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
This entire recording:

I had already listened to the various orchesterlieder from this recording but went back and listened to Vier Letzte Lieder and now playing through the recording again. What can I say that hasn’t already been said before about this recording? Not much! Schwarzkopf has an individual feel for these works. In the Vier Letzte Lieder, the closest comparison I can make is Cheryl Studer not in terms of timbre, but the highly personal feeling she puts into the words that somehow transcend everything and make the music about Strauss and not herself. Szell’s accompaniment, like Sinopoli’s, is also on the same lines as Schwarzkopf --- a different perspective, but never about himself. Incredible music-making and the fidelity of this recording is first-rate --- the remastering sounds wonderful.

One of my favourite albums to listen to on vinyl, through valve amps and "warm" sounding speakers. Absolutely divine!
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #40285 on: May 13, 2021, 12:08:45 PM »
Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 12 Op. 26 [Backhaus]

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #40286 on: May 13, 2021, 12:15:04 PM »
Alwyn: 1st Symphony.

The cover design - by Keith Hensby as always for Lyrita - is most apt as Alwyn's 1st could easily described as cosmic. My impression was of a timeless vast unpopulated landscape. A stunning symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #40287 on: May 13, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »

When I was a teen the Monteux performance of the Franck symphony was my introduction to the work. I loved the piece  so much that I soon bought another version of it (pictured above). I was sorely disappointed, finding it turgid and uninspiring. Over the years I’ve become a discriminating fan of Furtwängler’s art - sort of a hit and miss scorecard. When he hits, it’s bonanza. When he misses, he sounds out of sorts. I’ve reconciled myself with his view of the work, meaning I now see where he comes from and where he’s taking it. I just don’t think it’s appropriate to Franck’s symphony. There’s a level of tension allied to a transparency of textures that elude him. I have a dozen other versions that I prefer to this.

I kept that disc (in lp) for a long time because of Ferrier’s singing of 3 Rückert lieder - my introduction to that great artist’s unique voice.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #40288 on: May 13, 2021, 05:42:39 PM »
Well, this is indeed a beauty:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-ReOj-e05JQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-ReOj-e05JQ</a>

Indeed. I love that piece.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #40289 on: May 13, 2021, 05:45:17 PM »
One of my favourite albums to listen to on vinyl, through valve amps and "warm" sounding speakers. Absolutely divine!

I can certainly hear how it would sound on vinyl. I’m not a big fan of classical on vinyl (jazz on vinyl is a different story), but I can imagine this sounding fantastic.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #40290 on: May 13, 2021, 05:47:16 PM »
Listening to this recording yet again:

Not very often will I play an album again from start to finish after I just listened to it, but this recording has completely exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40291 on: May 13, 2021, 10:56:16 PM »
Morning listening:

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #40292 on: May 14, 2021, 12:24:30 AM »

Wonderfully joyful music making from Kremer and Argerich.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #40293 on: May 14, 2021, 02:14:47 AM »
Johann Friedrich Fasch.

Overture in D minor.
"Jauchzet dem Hern" ( New Year' s Cantata)
Laetatus sum.
Concerto in B flat major.
"Sanftes Brausen, Süßes Sausen".

Klaus Mertens, Deborah York.
Academia Daniel, Shalev Ad-El.
Recorded 1999.

The Overture and Concerto with in the frontline the "Chalumeau" are fantastically done, and so well recorded. In this respect one can consider me an admirer of this ensemble, of which I have many recordings already, mostly instrumental. Gili Rinat is the soloist in both orchestral works, and superb she is. Three vocal works on this CD. Klaus Mertens is in my book a Bariton much liked, and he is partnered with Deborah York, the last one always being a hit or run story. I heard too many things of here that I did not like. "Laetatus sum" is within acceptable bounds, but she is notably dominant, especially when she sings top notes.

There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #40294 on: May 14, 2021, 02:21:11 AM »
Mozart: Piano Concerto No 25 in C major, K 503 - Daniel Barenboim soloist & conductor  with the English Chamber Orchestra

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #40295 on: May 14, 2021, 02:34:59 AM »
Beethoven

piano sonatas 9-10-11 & 12

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #40296 on: May 14, 2021, 04:00:15 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hbx1lgcUtMM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Hbx1lgcUtMM</a>

I think that Richter somehow stops Grieg from sounding like pipe and slippers music. Nice to be reminded of what a really great musician can do.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:05:43 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #40297 on: May 14, 2021, 04:09:29 AM »
Listening to this recording yet again:

Not very often will I play an album again from start to finish after I just listened to it, but this recording has completely exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable.

Excellent, John  8)

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #40298 on: May 14, 2021, 04:22:57 AM »
Ariosti - Stockholm Sonatas Vol.1

Olivier

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #40299 on: May 14, 2021, 04:30:49 AM »
Nikolai Miaskovsky.

Complete Symphonies, CD X.

Symphony No. 3 in A minor & Symphony Suite in A minor.

State SO of the Russian Federation, Evgeny Svetlanov.

Miaskovsky knew a thing or two about brass. The first movement of the 3th Symphony clearly and loudly, prominent of blaring trumpets, but quite delicious. The non troppo vivo also harbours lovely searing melodies. He never seems to get out of breath of that sort of excellence. It goes on in the Symphony Suite, the second movement is a real stunner as the following Allegretto-Vivace. I just saw on my listening notes that this is actually the 7th time I have listened to the whole set, that makes me kind of a veteran :) I missed two dates on a piece of scribbled  paper tucked away below in the box..., started in 2009 onwards. And I am still impressed with the music.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.