What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway, Harry and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Listening to this recording yet again:

Not very often will I play an album again from start to finish after I just listened to it, but this recording has completely exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable.

Que

Tsaraslondon

Wonderfully joyful music making from Kremer and Argerich.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Harry

Johann Friedrich Fasch.

Overture in D minor.
"Jauchzet dem Hern" ( New Year' s Cantata)
Laetatus sum.
Concerto in B flat major.
"Sanftes Brausen, Süßes Sausen".

Klaus Mertens, Deborah York.
Academia Daniel, Shalev Ad-El.
Recorded 1999.

The Overture and Concerto with in the frontline the "Chalumeau" are fantastically done, and so well recorded. In this respect one can consider me an admirer of this ensemble, of which I have many recordings already, mostly instrumental. Gili Rinat is the soloist in both orchestral works, and superb she is. Three vocal works on this CD. Klaus Mertens is in my book a Bariton much liked, and he is partnered with Deborah York, the last one always being a hit or run story. I heard too many things of here that I did not like. "Laetatus sum" is within acceptable bounds, but she is notably dominant, especially when she sings top notes.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Mozart: Piano Concerto No 25 in C major, K 503 - Daniel Barenboim soloist & conductor  with the English Chamber Orchestra

Traverso

Beethoven

piano sonatas 9-10-11 & 12

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/Hbx1lgcUtMM

I think that Richter somehow stops Grieg from sounding like pipe and slippers music. Nice to be reminded of what a really great musician can do.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2021, 06:47:16 PM
Listening to this recording yet again:

Not very often will I play an album again from start to finish after I just listened to it, but this recording has completely exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable.

Excellent, John  8)

Papy Oli

Ariosti - Stockholm Sonatas Vol.1

Olivier

Harry

Nikolai Miaskovsky.

Complete Symphonies, CD X.

Symphony No. 3 in A minor & Symphony Suite in A minor.

State SO of the Russian Federation, Evgeny Svetlanov.

Miaskovsky knew a thing or two about brass. The first movement of the 3th Symphony clearly and loudly, prominent of blaring trumpets, but quite delicious. The non troppo vivo also harbours lovely searing melodies. He never seems to get out of breath of that sort of excellence. It goes on in the Symphony Suite, the second movement is a real stunner as the following Allegretto-Vivace. I just saw on my listening notes that this is actually the 7th time I have listened to the whole set, that makes me kind of a veteran :) I missed two dates on a piece of scribbled  paper tucked away below in the box..., started in 2009 onwards. And I am still impressed with the music.

Madiel

At least some of this album, covering slightly later than music than Volume 1.

Some of it of substance, though there are still a lot of fragments and sketches that Sibelius, more than most composers, would probably be unhappy about having before the public.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Just in:

When I ordered it, I did notice it wasn't cheap.

But it turns out this is a 2CD set, with the Concerti per viola d'amore on the 2nd disc. All the better!  :D

But now: the Concerti per archi.

Biffo

Schoenberg:

Verklärte Nacht, Op 4 - BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Edward Gardner

5 Pieces for Orchestra, Op 16 - BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Pierre Boulez

Pelleas und Melisande Op 5 - New Philharmonia conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 14, 2021, 05:22:57 AM
Ariosti - Stockholm Sonatas Vol.1

How did you get on with that one Olivier?

Harry

Benjamin Britten.
Orchestral Works, Volume IV.

Simple Symphony.
Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge.
Prelude and Fugue.
Lachrymae.

Lars Anders Tomter, Viola.
Norwegian Chamber Orchestra, Iona Brown.
Recorded in 1988, 1990, & 1991.

The Simple Symphony is a real charmer, and well orchestrated, with some stunning dramatic effects in the Sentimental Sarabande, but also gaiety in the Playful Pizzicato. Played with great aplomb by the Norwegian forces.
The Variations are in itself a masterwork, in which all his skills for orchestration come to the surface like a bubbling fountain, so many ideas in 27 minutes. Really very impressive. Strange emotions, and tonally pleasantly unsettling, it makes for quite an journey into Britten's music.
Prelude and Fugue & Lachrymae are two wonderful evocative and deep rooting compositions, especially Lachrymae made a huge impression on me.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on May 14, 2021, 06:32:32 AM
How did you get on with that one Olivier?

Lovely and relaxing, another one I can listen to in one single spell  :o

Basically delightful, Fergus  8) 
Olivier

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - String Quartets w/ Klenke Quartett - 5 disc set of Wolfie's last 10 'Mature' SQs; reviews attached w/ Dubins going bonkers!  Excellent bargain for $30 USD on Amazon USA.  Dave :)

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 14, 2021, 06:39:54 AM
Lovely and relaxing, another one I can listen to in one single spell  :o

Basically delightful, Fergus  8)

I am pleased that you were impressed  ;D

Papy Oli

Heinrich Schütz - Johannes Passion (Ars Nova, Paul Hillier)

Edit : and Die Sieben Worte, for good measure.

Olivier

not edward

Continuing on yesterday's Nielsen symphony theme:

[asin]B000EHQ8BO[/asin]

Martinon's ferocious, driven 4th. Maybe not a first choice but it's astonishing stuff.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music