What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, DavidW, Harry, Mandryka (+ 1 Hidden) and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

From this set:

[asin]B014EM31FU[/asin]

Pierre de la Rue: Missa Cum lucunditate
Johannes Ockeghem: Ave Maria
Adrian Willaert: O crux splendidor
Heinrich Isaac: Virgo Prudentissima
Jean Mouton: Noe, Noe; Nesciens Mater

Henry's Eight, Jonathan Brown

Quote from: Mandryka on May 16, 2021, 12:09:23 AM
I much prefer Andrew Kirkman's performance of that mass.

With the Binchois Consort. Never done an A-B, but that's also a vey nice performance.  :)

Papy Oli

Might as well continue as it is a highly enjoyable set.

Hamilton Harty
Children of Lir
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

Olivier

Biffo

Holst: Indra, Op 13 - BBC Philharmonic conducted by Sir Andrew Davis - saw the work mentioned in the Holst Favourites thread and decided to refresh my memory; a pleasant and joyful start to the day's listening

aligreto

Adams: Phrygian Gates [Russo/Ehnes]

I like this music very much. I like the musical language and I like the delivery of the musical message. I like the variety of tone and moods contained within the work and I like its forward momentum of the music. The work is always evolving, interesting and sometimes very compelling. This is a very fine piece of music and it works towards a very fine conclusion.

Biffo

Mozart: Piano Concerto No 26 in D major Coronation, K 537 - Daniel Barenboim soloist & conductor with the English Chamber Orchestra

aligreto

Varese: Octandre [Boulez]

I have liked this work from when I first heard it. I find the textures and sonorities to be exciting and appealing.

Mandryka

Very good - instrument, sound, programme, and I think his sobriety is very effective in Italian music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brahmsian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 15, 2021, 05:11:32 PM
Korngold: String Sextet
Taneyev: String Trio in E flat major

Both delightful pieces in their own ways.

I should revisit the Taneyev string trio disc with the Leopold Trio, as it has been awhile!  :)

Madiel

Haydn, Symphony No.72
Szymanowski, Symphony No.3

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Artem

I like the Appalachian Spring a lot. Don't know how the performance ranks compared with the others out there.

Iota

Quote from: André on May 14, 2021, 10:39:18 AM

Disc one.

Herrmann's way with movie music is unbelievable. Contrary to Max Steiner's all-purpose romanticism/heroism, Herrmann creates an entirely original sound world for each film. Going from The Day the Earth Stood Still to Fahrenheit 451 , then to Gulliver's Travels is to have a unique experience each time. And what is one to say of the incredible sounds he creates for Journey to the Centre of the Earth? Jules Vernes would have been very, very happy.

I think maybe this disc is calling me, my encounters with H have always been positive, but have rarely just sat down and listened to it outside of its cinematographic context, and now feels like a good time.

Here:

Shostakovich Violin Concerto No.2

The opening three or four mins of this concerto sound like voices in the head competing for attention, a striking duality between solo instrument and orchestra. The unearthly duet that opens the 2nd movement though seems to bring the same opposing partners together. Rivetting stuff.
At this point I'm not sure I can say the same for the DSCH's frenetic folk mode (in last movt e.g) that I have often previously thrilled to, it's not quite reaching me at the moment. Though in the manner of these things it may be back. And it's not anything to do with the performance, which is all round top table fare.

Artem

This is a very well programmed disk.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 16, 2021, 03:44:20 AM
I should revisit the Taneyev string trio disc with the Leopold Trio, as it has been awhile!  :)

Taneyev at his most unbuttoned, un-academic and tuneful self.  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Adams: Hallelujah Junction [Russo/Ehnes]

This is a very upbeat piece of music which is very well driven. There is wonderful interplay between the two pianos. I enjoyed the syncopation in the second half of the work; it instills a great sense of energy, determination and deliberation.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 16, 2021, 12:55:11 AM
Might as well continue as it is a highly enjoyable set.

Hamilton Harty
Children of Lir
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

Harty's masterpiece I think and very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 16, 2021, 12:26:43 AM
Interesting. Hopefully you will in due course comment on the other performances of the set, Jeffrey.
I'm inclined to agree with the Third Ear record guide Lol (which pre-dates the Lloyd-Jones set), which states that Hickox is best in No.1 and Alwyn in No.2, otherwise they are evenly matched and both fine sets. The Hickox recording of No.1 is excellent. I wouldn't be without either set and the Lyrita LPs were singled out for special praise.

Now playing:
Koechlin: Persian Hours - a lovely, dreamy, atmospheric work (piano version):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on May 16, 2021, 04:52:48 AMHere:

Shostakovich Violin Concerto No.2

The opening three or four mins of this concerto sound like voices in the head competing for attention, a striking duality between solo instrument and orchestra. The unearthly duet that opens the 2nd movement though seems to bring the same opposing partners together. Rivetting stuff.
At this point I'm not sure I can say the same for the DSCH's frenetic folk mode (in last movt e.g) that I have often previously thrilled to, it's not quite reaching me at the moment. Though in the manner of these things it may be back. And it's not anything to do with the performance, which is all round top table fare.

That is a fabulous recording. Dare I say it's one of the best things that Mordkovitch or Järvi has ever done.

SonicMan46

Rachmaninov, Sergei - Vespers, Op. 37 or All Night Vigil - seems that I own two recordings of this work w/ the performers on the cover art which have been kept in my collection while others have been culled out in the past - seem to be a LOT of recordings out there and I'm sure  many have their own favorites - Dave :)

not edward

Nørgård and Ruders played by Wilhelmina Smith:

[asin]B08NF3691Q[/asin]

A missed opportunity for me: there's five Nørgård sonatas, but Smith has only recorded the three of them that Morten Zeuthen already recorded to greater effect.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 16, 2021, 06:24:44 AM
Taneyev at his most unbuttoned, un-academic and tuneful self.  8)

I think that could be an accurate statement, Andrei.  See the "Twirbling Tones" thread.  :)