Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1090938 times)

vers la flamme, Mandryka, ritter (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #40580 on: May 18, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
Lenny
Symphony № 2, « The Age of Anxiety »
Lukas Foss, pf

Serenade, after Plato's Symposium
Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #40581 on: May 18, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
This afternoon

Essentially a pasticcio with which Vivaldi had a tenous relationship. May have written a bit of the music. May have arranged the interpolated arias. May have merely approved of it. May have not even known it exists. (He did write an opera to the libretto and with the title used here, but that score has been lost. This score derives from it, very much altered.)

Ignoring the subject of its link to Vivaldi, it's a 2 hour session of nice Baroque opera.

Now
CD2

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #40582 on: May 18, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
String Quartets 1 and 2

A brief first quartet that didn't leave me indifferent, but the 2nd quartet is certainly impressive. Its two slow movements (2nd and 4th movements) contain some deep and touching music. These works look promising.

«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #40583 on: May 18, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
And for me:

Lenny
Philippe Entremont, pf

Facsimile, Choreographic Essay for Orchestra
NY Phil
Lenny

I had forgotten how good Facsimile is.

Very nice, Karl. 8) Yeah, Facsimile is a great piece. I should revisit that one as well.

But for now:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 6 in A major, WAB 106
Staatskapelle Dresden
Haitink

I think one of the keys to getting this symphony to sound right or at least right to my ears lies within that massive Adagio. If there’s any hesitation or some kind of wrong step, this whole organism could simply fall apart. The next test would be those rhythms in the Scherzo.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #40584 on: May 18, 2021, 03:25:07 PM »
Janáček: Sinfonietta (Ančerl / Czech Philharmonic Orchestra) - From 1980, a version with the Netherlands Dance Theatre, choreographed by Jiří Kylián. A little more conservative than I expected, given the choreographer, but still pretty great. The final minutes are stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p77tfnqXOzY

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #40585 on: May 18, 2021, 04:51:49 PM »
First-Listen Tuesday

Strauss
Friedenstag, Op. 81
Tom Martinsen (tenor), Deborah Voigt (soprano), Sabine Brohm (soprano), Alfred Reiter (bass), Sami Luttinen (baritone), Jochen Kupfer (baritone), Albert Dohmen (baritone), Sami Luttinen (bass), Attila Jun (bass), Jürgen Commichau (bass), Jochen Schmeckenbecher (baritone), Jon Villars (tenor), Matthias Henneberg (baritone), André Eckert (bass), Rafael Harnisch (tenor), Johan Botha (tenor), Norbert Klesse (bass), Ekkehard Pansa (bass), Matthias Brauer (chorus master)
Chor der Staatsoper Dresden
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sinopoli

“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • A person living in his dreams & Stouts Beer dude
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #40586 on: May 18, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »
Hello and Goodnight fellas I am listening to a superbe  double album Lassus Lamentations de Job - ensemble Raphael Passaquet (Mint & Rare)  that nice bye.
My works 26 yrs anniversary noisy hell production on Bandcamp featuring works 4 works whiteout: Hexen! smoke & fire, not on own N.H.P Record ,tell what ya think, need feedback from Students radio-show?:
https://bandcamp.com/baronvonblood lauch private, of Two LP's of WRECKAGE and TOTAL ANNIHILATION

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #40587 on: May 18, 2021, 06:06:02 PM »
CDs 12 and 13: ClavierUbung III, Canonic Variations on Von Himmel Hoch, and 3 Preludes and Fugues

[Amazon doesn't seem to list the re-issues. I have the one with the fun cover, with Frederick the Great chasing the King of Saxony]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40588 on: May 18, 2021, 09:50:01 PM »
The Alwyn 2nd is a fine symphony indeed.

I did find it amusing that Alwyn is quoted as saying that he is not interested in melody, only structure. A huge contradiction as the 1st Quartet contains in the second part of the slow movement a melody that rivals that of the corresponding movements of the quartets of Borodin 2nd and Tchaikovsky 1st.
Interesting Lol. I have a CD of Alwyn's SQs but hardly know them. I must investigate them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40589 on: May 18, 2021, 09:58:08 PM »
And for me:

Lenny
Philippe Entremont, pf

Facsimile, Choreographic Essay for Orchestra
NY Phil
Lenny

I had forgotten how good Facsimile is.
Facsimile is one of my favourite works by Bernstein.

Now playing:
Ippolitov-Ivanov - Caucasian Sketches.
This is as good a performance as I have heard - warm-hearted and beautifully recorded.
I fished this CD out (not sure that I've played it before  ::)) for Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Russian Easter Festival Overture', following recent discussion here but I decided to play it right through, with much pleasure:
Glinka: Overture to Russlan and Ludmilla
Ippolitov-Ivanov (as above)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival Overture (also a very fine performance and recording)
Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini
Polonaise from Eugene Onegin
A nice programme of works:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:11:47 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #40590 on: May 18, 2021, 10:18:54 PM »
String Quartets 1 and 2

A brief first quartet that didn't leave me indifferent, but the 2nd quartet is certainly impressive. Its two slow movements (2nd and 4th movements) contain some deep and touching music. These works look promising.

Noted.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40591 on: May 18, 2021, 10:22:02 PM »
Morning listening:

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #40592 on: May 18, 2021, 10:26:16 PM »
Interesting Lol. I have a CD of Alwyn's SQs but hardly know them. I must investigate them.

I find Alwyn's chamber music a tougher nut then his orchestral music Jeffrey but not the 1st Quartet. The theme I alluded to is magical.

More Alwyn: 3rd Symphony, Violin Concerto and String Trio.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #40593 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:20 PM »

This is shaping up to becoming one of my favorite Das Lied performances. Certainly up there with Baker/King/Haitink and Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer.
You mentioned my two absolute favorites there.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40594 on: May 18, 2021, 10:54:52 PM »
David Diamond: Symphony No.3 (in memory of his parents, 1945)
A truly inspiriting work and IMO one of the greatest American symphonies:

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #40595 on: May 18, 2021, 11:36:22 PM »
Cerha: Cello Concerto

Despite the composers reputation (he completed Berg's Lulu), the work is accessible and enjoyable.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40596 on: May 18, 2021, 11:51:05 PM »
I find Alwyn's chamber music a tougher nut then his orchestral music Jeffrey but not the 1st Quartet. The theme I alluded to is magical.

More Alwyn: 3rd Symphony, Violin Concerto and String Trio.

That CD featuring the Third Symphony and the Violin Concerto is, IMO, one of the great Alwyn discs Lol. John Ireland thought that Alwyn's 3rd Symphony was the greatest British symphony since Elgar. That might be overstating it a bit and seems a bit harsh on VW and Walton, not to mention Bax, but it is a fine work. I have a CD featuring the premiere performance under Beecham. I know that I drone on about it but the neglect of Alwyn's beautiful, moving, memorable and approachable Violin Concerto mystifies me.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40597 on: May 18, 2021, 11:51:51 PM »
Cerha: Cello Concerto

Despite the composers reputation (he completed Berg's Lulu), the work is accessible and enjoyable.
Sounds interesting!

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #40598 on: May 19, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »
Good morning all,

Bach - Cantata BWV 12, "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen"
(Herreweghe)
Olivier

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #40599 on: May 19, 2021, 12:20:33 AM »
Good morning all,

And to you, Olivier!

What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff