What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 18, 2021, 09:34:10 AM
I stumbled upon this too and am also enjoying it greatly so far.

Grisey - Quatre Chants Pour Franchir Le Seuil.

This is, IMHO, Grisey's masterpiece (though Les espaces acoustiques, too). A few years ago the New York Philharmonic (again) did it twice, with the great soprano Barbara Hannigan and Alan Gilbert conducting. I was so bowled over the first time that I went back the next night -- only because I thought I might never hear it live again. (The score sounds quite challenging to perform, especially for musicians unfamiliar with microtonal notation.)

Anyway, Quatre chants is quite a profound experience, using fragments of texts worn away by time. If you want another one for comparison (I've not heard the one you cite), this version with Alice Teyssier is quite good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ69BApIozg&t=16s

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2021, 10:34:19 AM
This all'altra mano is one of my favorites in the set (and notwithstanding the fact that the Rakóczy March and the Roman Carnival are frequent WCRB fare:

Berlioz
Grande Ouverture de Benvenuto Cellini, Op. 23
Le Carnaval romain, Op. 9
Roméo et Juliette, Op. 17 (excerpts)
Marche hongroise from La Damnation de Faust
NY Phil
Lenny

Lovely! I love Berlioz so much.

André

The Ariel Songs, based on Shakespeare and the Mass are a capella vocal works. It was a good idea to separate them with the big, ruminative Passacaglia for organ. The quiet, reflective mood is maintained while sameness is avoided. Fine late night listening stuff.

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Das Lied von der Erde
Brigitte Fassbaender (mezzo), Francisco Araiza (tenor)
Berliners
Giulini

This is shaping up to becoming one of my favorite Das Lied performances. Certainly up there with Baker/King/Haitink and Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer.

Papy Oli

Bach - Cantata BWV 63 (Christen, atzet diesen Tag)

Olivier

aligreto

Buckley: Guitar Sonata No. 1 [Feeley]

There is some very adventurous, exuberant and exciting music in the first movement. The slow movement is a considerable contrast in tone and content to the first. It is reflective and atmospheric. The music of the final movement reverts to that of the first in terms of tone and pace. It is well driven and delivered.

Mirror Image

NP:

Bernstein
Serenade, after Plato's Symposium
Zino Francescatti, violin
New York Philharmonic
Bernstein

From this glorious box set:

I still feel this performance from Francescatti is the one to beat. I definitely prefer it to the Kremer recording on DG (also with Bernstein at the helm).

aligreto

Undersea

I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2021, 01:50:05 PM
NP:

Bernstein
Zino Francescatti, violin
New York Philharmonic
Bernstein

From this glorious box set:

I still feel this performance from Francescatti is the one to beat. I definitely prefer it to the Kremer recording on DG (also with Bernstein at the helm).

And for me:

Lenny
Symphony № 2, « The Age of Anxiety »
Philippe Entremont, pf

Facsimile, Choreographic Essay for Orchestra
NY Phil
Lenny

I had forgotten how good Facsimile is.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Lenny
Lukas Foss, pf

Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

This afternoon

Essentially a pasticcio with which Vivaldi had a tenous relationship. May have written a bit of the music. May have arranged the interpolated arias. May have merely approved of it. May have not even known it exists. (He did write an opera to the libretto and with the title used here, but that score has been lost. This score derives from it, very much altered.)

Ignoring the subject of its link to Vivaldi, it's a 2 hour session of nice Baroque opera.

Now
CD2

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

String Quartets 1 and 2

A brief first quartet that didn't leave me indifferent, but the 2nd quartet is certainly impressive. Its two slow movements (2nd and 4th movements) contain some deep and touching music. These works look promising.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2021, 03:09:23 PM
And for me:

Lenny
Philippe Entremont, pf

NY Phil
Lenny

Very nice, Karl. 8) Yeah, Facsimile is a great piece. I should revisit that one as well.

But for now:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 6 in A major, WAB 106
Staatskapelle Dresden
Haitink

I think one of the keys to getting this symphony to sound right or at least right to my ears lies within that massive Adagio. If there's any hesitation or some kind of wrong step, this whole organism could simply fall apart. The next test would be those rhythms in the Scherzo.

bhodges

Janáček: Sinfonietta (Ančerl / Czech Philharmonic Orchestra) - From 1980, a version with the Netherlands Dance Theatre, choreographed by Jiří Kylián. A little more conservative than I expected, given the choreographer, but still pretty great. The final minutes are stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p77tfnqXOzY

--Bruce

Mirror Image

First-Listen Tuesday

Strauss
Friedenstag, Op. 81
Tom Martinsen (tenor), Deborah Voigt (soprano), Sabine Brohm (soprano), Alfred Reiter (bass), Sami Luttinen (baritone), Jochen Kupfer (baritone), Albert Dohmen (baritone), Sami Luttinen (bass), Attila Jun (bass), Jürgen Commichau (bass), Jochen Schmeckenbecher (baritone), Jon Villars (tenor), Matthias Henneberg (baritone), André Eckert (bass), Rafael Harnisch (tenor), Johan Botha (tenor), Norbert Klesse (bass), Ekkehard Pansa (bass), Matthias Brauer (chorus master)
Chor der Staatsoper Dresden
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sinopoli

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello and Goodnight fellas I am listening to a superbe  double album Lassus Lamentations de Job - ensemble Raphael Passaquet (Mint & Rare)  that nice bye.

JBS

CDs 12 and 13: ClavierUbung III, Canonic Variations on Von Himmel Hoch, and 3 Preludes and Fugues

[Amazon doesn't seem to list the re-issues. I have the one with the fun cover, with Frederick the Great chasing the King of Saxony]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 18, 2021, 07:32:54 AM
The Alwyn 2nd is a fine symphony indeed.

I did find it amusing that Alwyn is quoted as saying that he is not interested in melody, only structure. A huge contradiction as the 1st Quartet contains in the second part of the slow movement a melody that rivals that of the corresponding movements of the quartets of Borodin 2nd and Tchaikovsky 1st.
Interesting Lol. I have a CD of Alwyn's SQs but hardly know them. I must investigate them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2021, 03:09:23 PM
And for me:

Lenny
Philippe Entremont, pf

NY Phil
Lenny

Facsimile is one of my favourite works by Bernstein.

Now playing:
Ippolitov-Ivanov - Caucasian Sketches.
This is as good a performance as I have heard - warm-hearted and beautifully recorded.
I fished this CD out (not sure that I've played it before  ::)) for Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Russian Easter Festival Overture', following recent discussion here but I decided to play it right through, with much pleasure:
Glinka: Overture to Russlan and Ludmilla
Ippolitov-Ivanov (as above)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival Overture (also a very fine performance and recording)
Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini
Polonaise from Eugene Onegin
A nice programme of works:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).