What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 05, 2021, 07:07:30 PM
My all-time favorite piano trio. I'm in the Pezzo elegiaco. I'm liking this performance thus far.

Great work. Massive in every sense.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2021, 11:52:28 AM
Disc 71: Russian Masters

Glinka
Ruslan & Lyudmila Overture

Borodin
In the Steppes of Central Asia

Glière
Russian Sailors' Dance from The Red Poppy

Ippolitov-Ivanov
Caucasian Sketches, Op. 10
2. In the Village
4. Procession of the Sardar

Engelbert Brenner, Eng hn
Leonard Davis, va

Mussorgsky
Dawn Over the Moscow River (Prelude to Act I of Khovanshchina)

Prokofiev
Scythian Suite, Op. 20
March from The Love for Three Oranges Suite, Op. 33a
Lieutenant Kijé Suite, Op. 60
3. Kijé's Wedding
4. Troika

Shostakovich
Polka from The Age of Gold Suite, Op. 22a
NY Phil

Lenny

Lopatnikoff

Concertino for Orchestra, Op. 30
Columbia Symphony Orchestra
Lenny
A great programme Karl. I wonder if you've noticed how similar the 'March' from 'The Love of Three Oranges' is to 'The Parade of the Ewoks' from 'Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi'(John Williams)  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No.1.

Olivier

vandermolen

Sibelius: Symphony No.1 BBC SO/Malcolm Sargent

I think very highly of Sargent's Sibelius recording and this version of No.5 is my favourite recording of the symphony:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Traverso

Debussy

Préludes Livre 2

Messiaen

Regard de L'Esprit de joie
Regard du silence
Vingt Regards sur L'Enfant-Jéssus

Le Merle bleu
Cataloque d'oiseaux-Livre 1

foxandpeng

Pēteris Vasks
Flute Concerto
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

aligreto

Palestrina: Missa l'homme armé [Pro Cantione Antiqua]

This Mass is one of the highlights of Palestrina's output for me. It is polyphony at its peak and it is given a very fine presentation here. The voices are written to blend together so wonderfully.

vandermolen

David Diamond: Symphony No.1 - one of my favourite American symphonies:

aligreto

Brahms: Symphony No. 3 [Walter]

Yes, the quality of the recorded sonics is not pristine here but, really, who cares when one is offered a magnificent performance such as this. The delivery of the first movement is truly full blooded and grandiose. Turn up the volume: you will rarely hear the likes of it! The presentation of the inner movements is also very powerful. Due diligence is brought to bear on both the interpretation and presentation of the music which is absolutely top quality throughout. The final movement is terrifically exciting. Once again, turn up the volume for a very engaging visceral and sonic experience. The forward momentum of the music is really terrific. This is a truly wonderful and exciting performance of this work.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 05, 2021, 11:22:30 PM
The Stamitz family and I never quite got along. The Mannheim School seem to have little attraction on me in general...

But I will explore Pleyel, thanks for your posts on him!  :)

Hi Que - well, I have just a modest collection (8 discs) of Carl Stamitz, none of his father, Johann, nor his younger brother, Anton - so not as interested in the 'family' vs. Ignaz Pleyel. :)  Dave

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on June 06, 2021, 12:22:50 AM

He is cuddling himself! ;D

I don't ever remember a photo of anyone else ever doing it  ;D

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - Mandolin Transcriptions w/ Avi Avital, Shalev Ad-El (harpsichord),  and Kammerakademie Potsdam (chamber ensemble).  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2021, 02:28:02 AM
David Diamond: Symphony No.1 - one of my favourite American symphonies:

I like the 1st, but the 3rd and 4th are my favorite Diamond symphonies without a doubt.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2021, 10:44:59 PM
Perhaps the best recording of the 1936 version. Nice new avatar image John!

Thanks! I wouldn't disagree, Jeffrey. This is a smoking hot performance. Previn has the full measure of this symphony.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2021, 10:46:41 PM
That's a wonderful VW collection.

It really is, indeed. When I saw that EMI had boxed up all of their Vaughan Williams Boult in a single box, it was too good to pass up (I also bought that Elgar Boult box set, too). I cannot think of one weak performance in this entire set.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2021, 12:40:58 AM
Sibelius: Symphony No.1 BBC SO/Malcolm Sargent

I think very highly of Sargent's Sibelius recording and this version of No.5 is my favourite recording of the symphony:

No.5 enjoyed a "Classics for Pleasure" LP release Jeffrey but nothing beats the image of Sibelius in the original issue.

Not sure the Vienna Phil recorded too much Sibelius and with Sargent at the helm even less of any composer. Did this make it to CD, Jeffrey?

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

NP:

Arnold
Symphony No. 4, Op. 71
London PO
Arnold

Wanderer

Beethoven Day 2021

The Symphonies :
13:00 : Bonn: Symphony n°1 : Daniel Harding, Mahler Chamber Orchestra
14:00 Dublin: Symphony n°2 : Jaime Martín, RTÉ National Symphonic Orchestra
15:00 Helsinki: Symphony n°3 : Nicolas Collon, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
16:00 Luxembourg: Symphoni n°4 : Gustavo Gimeno, Orchestre philharmonique du Luxembourg, Sylvia Camarda
17:00 Prague: Symphony n°5 : Steven Mercurio, Czech National Symphony Orchestra
18:00 Lugano: Symphony n°6 : Diego Fasolis, I Barocchisti
19:00 Delphi : Symphony n°7 : Teodor Currentzis , MusicAeterna, Sasha Waltz
20:15: Strasbourg : Symphony n°8 : Marko Letonja, Orchestre philharmonique de Strasbourg
21:00 Vienna : Symphony n°9 : Karina Canellakis, Wiener Symphoniker

SonicMan46

English Music for Viols w/ Fretwork - 5-disc set (contents below) - listening to John Jenkins (1592-1678) and William Lawes (1602-1645); Paul Nicholson on organ.  Dave :)

Iota

Quote from: Que on June 05, 2021, 11:27:19 PM
Morning listening:

I would urge anyone who is interested in English Renaissance, to investigate this series!  :)

Quite expensive on disc but generally available streaming.

I was on the verge of streaming that yesterday, but instead went with Blue heron singing the lovely Taverner motet Dum transisset sabbatum, and some other Taverner with the Tallis Scholars. But your adjuration will ensure an imminent return to my original intent.

Also played:

Bruckner: Symphony No.7

Continuing my Venzago/Bruckner odyssey. I must say I've never enjoyed Bruckner quite in this way before, it really is as if somebody has opened the windows and let the fresh air and sunlight come streaming in.