Psalmus Hungaricus, op. 13
London Symphony Orchestra
István Kertész

Missa Brevis
Pange Lingua
Psalm 114

Brighton Festival Chorus
László Heltay

I am convinced that Kodály's Psalmus Hungaricus is a masterpiece. Kertesz's performance from 1970 in London is a grand, Romantic version that wears its exotic, Hungarian emotions on its sleeve. Having heard Mackerras' Danish recording a week or so ago, I miss his heldentenor's weight, but this one's not-so-heavy, Italianate style is still attractive.

The Missa Brevis, Pange Lingua, and Psalm 114 are more traditional sounding to my ears, with nary a Nationalistic peep. If you like English cathedral-esque, classically-harmonized Mass settings, these will please greatly, probably moreso considering the British choir. Most interesting is a remarkable tribute to Palestrina in the a cappella middle section of Pange Lingua, and Kodály's general delight in chant and older choral influences of Haydn, Handel, and Bach.

János Ferencsik has an orchestrated version of Kodály's Missa Brevis on Hungaroton, and it is probably my preference. This one with organ sounds a little chaste, but it is still beautiful. I won't be able to get to the 2nd half of this recording until midweek.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2021, 06:53:54 AM
Going to start listening to Langgaard's symphonies and SQs again.

NP:

Langgaard
Symphony No. 1, "Klippepastoraler" (Pastorals Of The Rocks)
Danish NSO
Dausgaard

Pounds the table!  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 07, 2021, 07:41:45 AM
Pounds the table!  :)

8) Hard to believe he wrote this when he was in his teens. It sounds like the work of a mature composer. Interesting side story: this symphony was premiered by the Berlin Philharmonic with great success, but success at home didn't happen. I never understood why the Danes didn't take to Langgaard's music. I know he's kind of all-over-the-map from a stylistic point-of-view, but none of it is inaccessible as he never really lost his Late-Romantic roots. It's a shame the only real success Langgaard has had is after he's long been dead.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2021, 07:45:15 AM
8) Hard to believe he wrote this when he was in his teens. It sounds like the work of a mature composer. Interesting side story: this symphony was premiered by the Berlin Philharmonic with great success, but success at home didn't happen. I never understood why the Danes didn't take to Langgaard's music. I know he's kind of all-over-the-map from a stylistic point-of-view, but none of it is inaccessible as he never really lost his Late-Romantic roots. It's a shame the only real success Langgaard has had is after he's long been dead.

I always am astonished by how accomplished this symphony is whenever I listen to it. It could be called bombastic, but I don't care, this is glorious and epic music at its best. Yes, Langgaard didn't have a good fate in his lifetime, that's a real shame. He was an uneven composer, but when he wanted to be good, he really succeeded at it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 07, 2021, 07:54:26 AM
I always am astonished by how accomplished this symphony is whenever I listen to it. It could be called bombastic, but I don't care, this is glorious and epic music at its best. Yes, Langgaard didn't have a good fate in his lifetime, that's a real shame. He was an uneven composer, but when he wanted to be good, he really succeeded at it.

Yeah, I don't care if it's bombastic --- if it means something to me, then that's all that matters. But, personally, I like bombast or as the critics sometimes call it: 'empty rhetoric'. :D

Mirror Image

NP:

Saint-Saëns
Violin Sonata No. 2 in E-flat major, Op. 104
Philippe Graffin, Pascal Devoyon

After the explosions of magnificence that was Langgaard's 1st symphony, this is a nice change of pace.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 07, 2021, 05:58:01 AM
I do too. I like the Macal recording.
+2

TD
David Diamond: 'The Enormous Room' (after e e cummings):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

NP:

Saint-Saëns
Symphony No. 3 in C minor, "Organ", Op. 78
Peter Hurford, organ
Orchestre symphonique de Montréal
Dutoit

An excellent performance all-around.

Traverso

Mirror Image

NP:

Langgaard
Symphony No. 2, "Varbrud" (Awakening Of Spring), BVN 53
Inger Dam-Jensen, soprano
Danish NSO
Dausgaard

Irons

Arthur Butterworth

I cannot speak too highly of this CD which I enjoyed immensely. Butterworth's music is evocative and I very much like his style of using large forces sparingly. Three Nocturnes "Northern Summer Nights" is the best new piece (for me) I have heard in a long time and looking forward to get fully acquainted with the symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brian

Decided to spend some quality time with real low notes.

Schoeck, Brahms (arranged), Verbesselt, Jonathan Russell, Poulenc, Yosuke Fukuda

Daverz

Quote from: Irons on June 07, 2021, 01:01:52 PM
Arthur Butterworth

I cannot speak too highly of this CD which I enjoyed immensely. Butterworth's music is evocative and I very much like his style of using large forces sparingly. Three Nocturnes "Northern Summer Nights" is the best new piece (for me) I have heard in a long time and looking forward to get fully acquainted with the symphony.

The Butterworth Symphony No. 5 is a fine work. 

TD: Shostakovich

The Shostakovich is with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Daverz on June 07, 2021, 01:58:29 PM

You listened to the David Hurwitz video, didn't ya?  :D

Daverz

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 07, 2021, 02:01:36 PM
You listened to the David Hurwitz video, didn't ya?  :D

Yes, though I don't find this recording of the Shostakovich 4 very moving for some reason (not a very helpful report, I'm afraid). 

I think I'll try one of the Kondrashin or Rozhdestvensky recordings next.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on June 07, 2021, 02:21:26 PM
Yes, though I don't find this recording of the Shostakovich 4 very moving for some reason (not a very helpful report, I'm afraid). 

I think I'll try one of the Kondrashin or Rozhdestvensky recordings next.

You can't go wrong with either Kondrashin or Rozhdestvensky in the 4th. Superb performances from both.

NP:

Saint-Saëns
Symphony in F, "Urbs Roma"
Utah SO
Fischer

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on June 07, 2021, 01:58:29 PM
The Butterworth Symphony No. 5 is a fine work. 

The cover showing the last flicker of the Seraphim label's motto that punned on the name of their parent label (Angel): Angels of a higher order.

TD
CD 17 of the WarnerStravinsky Edition
The solo piano works on this recording, except for the Three Movements From Petrushka (which is grouped with the transcriptions on CD 18, and played there by Beatrice Rana)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Now playing this new arrival:

Strauss
Josephs Legende, Op. 63
Budapest Festival Orchestra
Fischer

André

Like the better-known theremin and ondes Martenot, the trautonium is an electronic instrument created around 1930 by Friedrich Trautwein of the Radio Testing Centre of the Prussian Ministry of Culture. It was championed by Hindemith, who composed 7 trios. The RTC was disbanded by the nazis who didn't like its kind of experimental projects, and Hindemith left Germany, almost sealing the fate of the trautonium as a musical instrument. Harald Genzmer (pupil of Hindemith) developed an interest for it and wrote works for 'mixture trautonium' in solo, duo or concertante settings between 1935 and 1960. Its main proponent as a player was Oskar Sala, who also composed for it in film soundtracks, most notably Hitchcock's The Birds (attack of the gulls). 

So, next time you hear someone making a wheezing bodily sound you can say 'I didn't know you had a trautonium.'

foxandpeng

Pēteris Vasks
Symphony 2
Distant Light

Third hearing of this in the last few hours, following his Flute Concerto and Symphony 3. I'm captivated by the haunting beauty of the VC, but the symphonies are excellent also.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy