What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2021, 04:56:01 AM
Hi Que - love the Authentic Quartet, so I checked my database to 'match' the Benton Catalogue numbers - now she puts his 'String Quartets' in the B. 301-370 group - trying to search for Benton numbers for the Op. 41/42 works brought up the discussion quoted below - these appear to be originally 'String Trios' that were transcribed for SQuartet w/ Op. 41 No. 1/2 being B. 443-444, and Op. 42 being B. 446-447 - let me know if the booklet has any of this information, since I'm assuming it is correct?  If so, these works are not in my collection and would like to add the CD.  Thanks - Dave

No booklet, I'm afraid...Spotify. .. Sounded realy good though.  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2021, 10:09:14 AM
Reger looks like an understudy for the role of Auric Goldfinger here ....

:D :D :D

I always thought that Lara's husband (Tom Courtney) in Dr. Zhivago looks like Shostakovich.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 10, 2021, 11:40:40 AM
:D :D :D

I always thought that Lara's husband (Tom Courtney) in Dr. Zhivago looks like Shostakovich.

Yes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 11:10:56 AM
First listens to this disc of works by David Matthews, including the '80s variations on a Bach chorale and 2013-16 Ninth Symphony and Violin/Viola Concerto (inspired by Mozart, of course).

Also listened to the Eighth, off a newer CD conducted by Jac van Steen. Both very good but the Ninth - structured like Shostakovich's Ninth, although sounding nothing like it of course - really struck me as an incredible piece, with a beautiful opening theme developed into something much more complicated. It builds up to an incredible finale that seems to be going for a whiz-bang final coda but pulls back to a little more emotionally expressive place instead. Super impressive. Glad Sarge is joining the party. Let's make this a Matthews Moment!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 10, 2021, 11:16:14 AM
No booklet, I'm afraid...Spotify. .. Sounded realy good though.  :)

Thanks Que - will take a look at Pleyel on Spotify (not cheap on Amazon) - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 12:50:05 PMGlad Sarge is joining the party. Let's make this a Matthews Moment!

I'm continuing this Matthews' evening with his 7th Symphony (on YouTube). There is a percussion battle that reminds me of the Nielsen 4th.                 

Sarge

VonStupp

Igor Stravinsky
The Soldier's Tale
Sting, Ian McKellan, Vanessa Redgrave
London Sinfonietta
Kent Nagano

A little storytime before bed. Redgrave is all in as Beelzebub.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 10, 2021, 06:35:50 AM
Max Reger Piano Music, Jean Martin.

What do you think? I'm curious to hear more of Reger's piano music. Big fan of his organ music and his orchestral variations.

Sergeant Rock

David Matthews Symphony No 1, George Vass conducting the Ulster Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/v/WIloMWSo2N4

Sarge

André

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 12:50:05 PM
Also listened to the Eighth, off a newer CD conducted by Jac van Steen. Both very good but the Ninth - structured like Shostakovich's Ninth, although sounding nothing like it of course - really struck me as an incredible piece, with a beautiful opening theme developed into something much more complicated. It builds up to an incredible finale that seems to be going for a whiz-bang final coda but pulls back to a little more emotionally expressive place instead. Super impressive. Glad Sarge is joining the party. Let's make this a Matthews Moment!

Good to know, thanks Brian ! Symphony no 7 is in the pile and nos 8 and 9 on their way. Will report on the 7th soon.  :)

vers la flamme

Igor Stravinsky: Symphony in Three Movements. Igor Stravinsky, Columbia Symphony Orchestra

Been quite some time since I've heard this work. Good to get back to it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 10, 2021, 01:39:08 PM
What do you think? I'm curious to hear more of Reger's piano music. Big fan of his organ music and his orchestral variations.

Very nice performance and good recording sound. I recommend it.
Also the complete piano box by Markus Becker is vg as well. 

JBS

Polish Songs Opus 74
First time I've ever listened to these works

Anna Haase soprano
Lucius Ruhl piano
Recorded for Ars Produktion Germany 2006

This performance is available only via Brilliant. But Ms. Haase recorded them a second time for Ars Produktion the next year with a different pianist, and that can be found on Amazon.  The 2007 performance is about 5 minutes quicker, and orders the songs differently.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 10, 2021, 03:50:34 PM
Very nice performance and good recording sound. I recommend it.
Also the complete piano box by Markus Becker is vg as well.

Second the Becker.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2021, 05:43:02 PM
NP:

Diamond
Symphony No. 3
Seattle Symphony
Schwarz

A fabulous symphony. A cannot stress how grateful I am for Gerard Schwarz's championship of so many of mid-20th Century American composers. He has done them a great service. If the academics had their way, this kind of music wouldn't ever see the light of day. Take from that statement what you will.

What's your (and other members') opinion of Gerard Schwarz as a conductor in general?  Thanks.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 10, 2021, 06:27:31 PM
What's your (and other members') opinion of Gerard Schwarz as a conductor in general?  Thanks.

I think he's a fine conductor who has done some excellent work. Of course, it's his championship of many of these mid-20th Century American composers that he's probably most known for. But he's turned in some good Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov, Falla, Hindemith et. al.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2021, 10:04:17 AM
The greatest IMO of the Langgaard symphonies.

Honestly, while I do like Langgaard's orchestral works like Music of the Sphere, the opera Antikrist and the SQs, I'm finding his symphonies definitely uneven in quality. He's certainly not on the level of his fellow countryman Nielsen or Sibelius. I even think Atterberg's symphonies and Stenhammar's Symphony No. 2 are better. I'd say I'm most impressed with his 6th. This, for me, catches him in those rarer moments when he's not looking forwards or backwards and is able to bring more of his individuality to the music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 10, 2021, 07:18:25 PM
Honestly, while I do like Langgaard's orchestral works like Music of the Sphere, the opera Antikrist and the SQs, I'm finding his symphonies definitely uneven in quality. He's certainly not on the level of his fellow countryman Nielsen or Sibelius. I even think Atterberg's symphonies and Stenhammar's Symphony No. 2 are better. I'd say I'm most impressed with his 6th. This, for me, catches him in those rarer moments when he's not looking forwards or backwards and is able to bring more of his individuality to the music.
I think that the symphonies are very uneven but 4,6 and 10 are ones that I enjoy a great deal.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).