What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp, Papy Oli and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2021, 05:43:02 PM
NP:

Diamond
Symphony No. 3
Seattle Symphony
Schwarz

A fabulous symphony. A cannot stress how grateful I am for Gerard Schwarz's championship of so many of mid-20th Century American composers. He has done them a great service. If the academics had their way, this kind of music wouldn't ever see the light of day. Take from that statement what you will.
One of the Great American Symphonies IMO and ranks with those by Harris, Copland, Schuman and Hanson. Schwarz's performance seems excellent, although I'm unaware of any alternative. The Delos release is preferable to the Naxos as it includes the lyrical and memorable Suite for Romeo and Juliet. I've been listening to Symphony No.1 and 'The Enormous Room' with great pleasure recently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Holst - A Choral Symphony.

A first listen methinks.

Olivier

aligreto

Beethoven: String Quartets [Gewandhaus Quartet]

String Quartet Op. 95

I am always fascinated by the fact that you listen to a piece of music there is quite often something that you did not notice before in it. In this case it is the busy viola work in the first movement. What truly wonderful string writing in the slow movement; it is superb. The third movement Scherzo is also wonderful. The music is terrifically edgy with a calm trio section to calm things down but even this has something of an edge to it. The Final movement is a real mixed bag in terms of tones and tempi but it certainly finishes with a flourish.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 11, 2021, 12:08:47 AM
Good morning all,

Holst - A Choral Symphony.

A first listen methinks.

A good one, that  8)

Traverso

Beethoven

Symphony No 4 & 7

Concertgebouworkest

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on June 11, 2021, 01:16:24 AM
Beethoven: String Quartets [Gewandhaus Quartet]

String Quartet Op. 95

I am always fascinated by the fact that you listen to a piece of music there is quite often something that you did not notice before in it. In this case it is the busy viola work in the first movement. What truly wonderful string writing in the slow movement; it is superb. The third movement Scherzo is also wonderful. The music is terrifically edgy with a calm trio section to calm things down but even this has something of an edge to it. The Final movement is a real mixed bag in terms of tones and tempi but it certainly finishes with a flourish.

This is a real fine set,good recorded too. :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on June 11, 2021, 01:18:28 AM

This is a real fine set,good recorded too. :)

Yes, it is Jan. I had a chance some years ago to buy it but I turned it down for some reason back then. I am very glad that I have it now  :)

Que

Quote from: Traverso on June 11, 2021, 01:17:05 AM
Beethoven

Symphony No 4 & 7

Concertgebouworkest

One of my favourite "traditional" LvB symphonies cycles!  :)

Traverso

Quote from: Que on June 11, 2021, 01:46:59 AM

And rightly so... :)

The singing strings in these lyrical perfomances are wonderful ,the recording is vivid and clear,in my opinion this is one of the most attractive sets available.

Harry

I am blessed this year with divers maladies, but this last one will prevent me from listening at least a week. I had some loss of hearing in the upper frequencies, especially the left ear, wich also gave me pain. Checking this morning with my doc, turns out that both ears have a smear prop, quite large, she could only see a half moon of my membrane, and there was a slight infection in my left ear because of it. I got the proverbial drops, to make the infection less insistent, and the other ear I will use some olive oil to get the stuff soft, for Monday afternoon she will flush both ears, and my hearing should be back to normal. Which would be fine, for I decided to buy an Esoteric player, and fase the Nu-Vista out. But I also have to rebuild the electrics in both office and listening room, also, so that will keep me occupied for at least a week.
Just to know for all that might be interested.
Cheers.

PS. That will not keep me from ordering some new exciting things this weekend at JPC :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Quote from: Que on June 11, 2021, 01:46:59 AM

One of my favourites also. I bought it back in 1970; it came in a massive box with a gold embossed medallion of Beethoven on the cover. Nos 4 & 8 are my favourite performances  from this cycle. I used to love No 6 but now find it too slow.

Edit: Now listening to Symphony No 4 from the set (on LP)

aligreto

Martinu: Symphony No. 1 [Thomson]

What a wonderful sound world this work is and Thomson probes and explores it very well. The musical language of the first movement is dramatic and its presentation is very exciting. The Scherzo is filled with unbridled energy and vitality and is a powerful presentation. The drive and forward momentum is terrific. The Trio section is somewhat an oasis of relatively  reduced calm but, effectively, not very much so as the intensity does not reduce very much. The conclusion is terrifically exciting. The third movement, Largo, is a total contrast to what has preceded it. It is quite dark and desolate in its musical language and this is a powerful presentation of that musical message. The energy, drive and vitality of the first two movements is resumed here. This is powerful and exciting music given a very fine airing here which is well driven to a very fine conclusion.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 10, 2021, 07:13:52 PM
I think he's a fine conductor who has done some excellent work. Of course, it's his championship of many of these mid-20th Century American composers that he's probably most known for. But he's turned in some good Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov, Falla, Hindemith et. al.

Thank you John. I have a few recordings of American composers conducted by him and I generally like them. I will look for his recordings of Hindemith and de Falla.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Godzilla Symphonic Concert. Akira Ifukube.

Biffo

Arthur Butterworth: Symphony No 5 - Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by the composer - from the CD, newly arrived today.

Papy Oli

Holst - The Planets (Boult, London Philarmonic Orchestra)

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: "Harry" on June 11, 2021, 03:07:02 AM
I am blessed this year with divers maladies, but this last one will prevent me from listening at least a week. I had some loss of hearing in the upper frequencies, especially the left ear, wich also gave me pain. Checking this morning with my doc, turns out that both ears have a smear prop, quite large, she could only see a half moon of my membrane, and there was a slight infection in my left ear because of it. I got the proverbial drops, to make the infection less insistent, and the other ear I will use some olive oil to get the stuff soft, for Monday afternoon she will flush both ears, and my hearing should be back to normal. Which would be fine, for I decided to buy an Esoteric player, and fase the Nu-Vista out. But I also have to rebuild the electrics in both office and listening room, also, so that will keep me occupied for at least a week.
Just to know for all that might be interested.
Cheers.

PS. That will not keep me from ordering some new exciting things this weekend at JPC :laugh:

That's the spirit! These things come to test us but we appreciate all the more when sorted.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on June 11, 2021, 05:36:19 AM
Arthur Butterworth: Symphony No 5 - Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by the composer - from the CD, newly arrived today.

A fine symphony indeed.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Well, started the box below about a week ago, then we took a 4-day vacation to the mountains (Asheville, NC) - now back and listening the the remaining 3 discs - Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2021, 06:59:34 AM
English Music for Viols w/ Fretwork - 5-disc set (contents below) - listening to John Jenkins (1592-1678) and William Lawes (1602-1645); Paul Nicholson on organ.  Dave :)