What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithE, AnotherSpin, vandermolen and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

steve ridgway

Murail - Winter Fragments (totally inappropriately :-[).

André

Quote from: JBS on June 10, 2021, 05:59:03 PM
Second the Becker.

Third the Becker. Few complete sets of anything have given me as much pleasure as this.

André

A wonderful program let down by an atrocious performance. I never thought I'd say something bad about Marilyn Horne's voice but here she is in dismal form. She shouts - not a single soft tone to be heard - and wobbles from first note to last. I listened to the Barber group and took it off the player in disgust.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on June 11, 2021, 04:36:38 AM
Martinu: Symphony No. 1 [Thomson]

What a wonderful sound world this work is and Thomson probes and explores it very well. The musical language of the first movement is dramatic and its presentation is very exciting. The Scherzo is filled with unbridled energy and vitality and is a powerful presentation. The drive and forward momentum is terrific. The Trio section is somewhat an oasis of relatively  reduced calm but, effectively, not very much so as the intensity does not reduce very much. The conclusion is terrifically exciting. The third movement, Largo, is a total contrast to what has preceded it. It is quite dark and desolate in its musical language and this is a powerful presentation of that musical message. The energy, drive and vitality of the first two movements is resumed here. This is powerful and exciting music given a very fine airing here which is well driven to a very fine conclusion.

When I was first getting into Martinů, the Thomson cycle was my go-to set as I found the performances quite exciting and hard-hitting. Nowadays, I can barely listen to any of these performances and this is mainly because I feel Thomson misses some of the more poetic moments in the music. Also, I've always felt the Scottish National Orchestra were, at the time, out of their element. But really it boiled down to these performances being what I personally perceive as being driven too hard by Thomson. I don't think these symphonies sound good when they're being played breathless --- they need more time to develop organically. This is why I believe Bělohlávek to have the full measure of Martinů's style, because not only has he practically lived with his music throughout his professional life, but he brought a level of understanding and sympathy to his performances that simply cannot be ignored. Just my two cents.

André

I found the Symphony for Strings too spicy and acerbic for comfort, but all the other works are quite wonderful.

Another excellent program by Dale Kavanagh. She has a knack for exploring the fringes of the guitar repertoire, especially its recent additions. The Domeniconi concerto is a real find, a beautiful work of some substance. The Genzmer piece displays a more reserved, cerebral mien. Excellent sound.

Papy Oli

JS Bach - Musical Offering BWV 1079 (Linde Consort)
Olivier

Brian

Quote from: André on June 11, 2021, 07:59:13 AM
Another excellent program by Dale Kavanagh. She has a knack for exploring the fringes of the guitar repertoire, especially its recent additions. The Domeniconi concerto is a real find, a beautiful work of some substance. The Genzmer piece displays a more reserved, cerebral mien. Excellent sound.
Dale Kavanagh has a new album this month playing her own compositions.

Traverso

Beethoven

Symphony No. 5 & 6

Concertgebouworkest

Mandryka

Trying to work out whether I care enough about Heinrich Isaac's masses to buy the new recording from Cinquecento. The answer is yes.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Vivaldi, Antonio (1678-1741) - Cello Concertos w/ Roel Dieltiens and Ensemble Explorations - he performs a dozen 'solo' concertos and two w/ other instruments; Vivaldi wrote about 27 concertos for 'solo cello' and a number of others for joint instruments, including cello - the 'complete' set in my collection is w/ Francesco Galligioni doing all 27 works in a 4-disc Brilliant double jewel box; also own two CDs w/ Christophe Coin, as part of the large Naive boxes - all shown below; of course, there are many recordings of these cello works, so I'm sure many have their preferences.  Dave :)

Symphonic Addict

Strauss: Violin Sonata in E flat major

Happy birthday, Richard!

I didn't recall how gorgeous this sonata is. It has the composer's trademarks.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 10, 2021, 05:57:16 PM
Polish Songs Opus 74
First time I've ever listened to these works

Anna Haase soprano
Lucius Ruhl piano
Recorded for Ars Produktion Germany 2006

This performance is available only via Brilliant. But Ms. Haase recorded them a second time for Ars Produktion the next year with a different pianist, and that can be found on Amazon.  The 2007 performance is about 5 minutes quicker, and orders the songs differently.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on June 11, 2021, 03:07:02 AM
I am blessed this year with divers maladies, but this last one will prevent me from listening at least a week. I had some loss of hearing in the upper frequencies, especially the left ear, wich also gave me pain. Checking this morning with my doc, turns out that both ears have a smear prop, quite large, she could only see a half moon of my membrane, and there was a slight infection in my left ear because of it. I got the proverbial drops, to make the infection less insistent, and the other ear I will use some olive oil to get the stuff soft, for Monday afternoon she will flush both ears, and my hearing should be back to normal. Which would be fine, for I decided to buy an Esoteric player, and fase the Nu-Vista out. But I also have to rebuild the electrics in both office and listening room, also, so that will keep me occupied for at least a week.
Just to know for all that might be interested.
Cheers.

PS. That will not keep me from ordering some new exciting things this weekend at JPC :laugh:

Zorg goed voor je oren, mijn vriend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 11, 2021, 05:10:27 AM
Thank you John. I have a few recordings of American composers conducted by him and I generally like them. I will look for his recordings of Hindemith and de Falla.

I really enjoy his Wm Schuman & Hanson.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Igor Stravinsky
Symphony in Three Movements
Symphony in C
Symphony of Psalms

Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Sir Georg Solti

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 10, 2021, 06:27:31 PM
What's your (and other members') opinion of Gerard Schwarz as a conductor in general?  Thanks.

Like the others have said, he seems to be a successful advocate of American composers, and he had Seattle sounding good too. Hovhaness and Hanson stand out in my mind in particular, although there were many more underplayed American composers he surveyed. I didn't think he was as successful with the central symphonic repertoire, but I think his legacy stands well enough among modern Americana.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

André

Quote from: Brian on June 11, 2021, 08:30:09 AM
Dale Kavanagh has a new album this month playing her own compositions.

I should check that out, thanks Brian !

Currently re-listening to that disc  :)

SonicMan46

Vanhal, Johann (1739-1813) - Windy Chamber Music w/ the instruments and performers on the cover art below (click to enlarge) - for those interested, there is a thread HERE w/ plenty of recorded works shown and discussed, especially his Symphonies.  Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 10, 2021, 06:27:31 PM
What's your (and other members') opinion of Gerard Schwarz as a conductor in general?  Thanks.

Schwarz is one of those conductors I have very mixed feelings about.  Eternally grateful for the repertoire he has championed - much of which is wonderful - but rarely thrilled by the result!  I feel sometimes I like the music in spite of the conducting.  Whenever Schwarz has recorded standard repertoire when multiple alternative versions exist I would say rarely if ever is his version at the top or even near the top of the pile.  I know that his brief tenure as the Principal Conductor of the orchestra in Liverpool was greeted with very mixed response.  From friends invloved with the orchestra, I believe he was liked on a personal level but not found to be that inspiring for players or audiences.  Yet clearly the chemistry worked in Seattle.

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 11, 2021, 11:44:09 AM
Igor Stravinsky
Symphony in Three Movements
Symphony in C
Symphony of Psalms

Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Sir Georg Solti

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA