What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 14, 2021, 02:18:47 AM

Bohuslav Martinů: Symphony No.1. Bryden Thomson, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Enjoying this work. There is a kind of perpetual motion feeling to it.

A fine work indeed.

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all

Starting this twofer.

Olivier

Harry

Quote from: Biffo on June 14, 2021, 04:11:13 AM
Cécile Chaminade: Callirhoë – Ballet Symphonique, Op 37 - BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Martin Yates - tuneful, colourful ballet - shame Chaminade didn't get a chance to write more large scale pieces.

Agreed!
This ballet is very dear to me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2021, 11:15:29 PM
That's a marvellous disc, also for the Henry V and Battle of Britain music - I actually enjoy every track on it.

Yes, indeed. I'd venture further and say that EMI box set is a must-buy for any Walton fan.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 14, 2021, 02:18:47 AM

Bohuslav Martinů: Symphony No.1. Bryden Thomson, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Enjoying this work. There is a kind of perpetual motion feeling to it.

Martinů's 1st still knocks me out whenever I hear it. Of course, he arrived at his symphonies later in life, so his style was already fully-formed.

Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
String Quartet No. 3 in F major, Op. 73
Two Pieces for String Octet, Op. 11
Piano Quintet in G minor, Op. 57

Sviatoslav Richter, piano
Borodin Quartet

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2021, 06:07:32 AM
Yes, indeed. I'd venture further and say that EMI box set is a must-buy for any Walton fan.

+1.  Excellent box. Too bad it is oop.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 14, 2021, 06:13:22 AM
+1.  Excellent box. Too bad it is oop.

Already? Wow...I could've swore that when Warner took over, they reissued it with their logo on it.

Harry

Richard Franck.

Trio in B minor, opus 20 & E flat major, opus 32-for Piano, violin & Cello.

Christoph Schickedanz, Violin.
Thomas Blees, Cello.
Bernhard Fograscher, Piano.

One of those fine Franck recordings on audite. Good performance and sound, but my ears are still sore after an extensive bathing. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

steve ridgway

Schuller - The Past Is In The Present.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2021, 09:12:20 PM
One last listen for the night:

Walton
As You Like It Suite
London Philharmonic
Carl Davis

From this set -

Very much the "forgotten" Walton/Shakespeare score but it is another cracker.  I like the version Marriner did as part of the Chandos/Walton Edition too

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 14, 2021, 06:55:44 AM
Very much the "forgotten" Walton/Shakespeare score but it is another cracker.  I like the version Marriner did as part of the Chandos/Walton Edition too

I absolutely loathe narration, so this why I could never get into those Walton works. The music, however, is first-rate.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 14, 2021, 06:55:44 AM

I like the performance of As You Like It in the disc. Powerful and dramatic.

SonicMan46

Robert de Visée - Chamber Music for the King w/ Manuel Staropoli and friends on recorders, Baroque flutes, theorbo, viola da gambas, and harpsichord - liberties have been taken with the scores and instrumentation as noted by 'quibbles' in the attached reviews, but for me in the relaxation of my den, the music pleases - recommended if you enjoy this French Baroque era and the period instruments used.  Dave :)

QuoteRobert de Visée (c. 1655 – 1732/1733) was a lutenist, guitarist, theorbist and viol player at the court of the French kings Louis XIV and Louis XV, as well as a singer and composer for lute, theorbo and guitar. (Source)

Irons

Quote from: T. D. on June 13, 2021, 07:04:07 AM
Motivated by posts in "Purchases Today":

Picked up this budget set a few years ago (it's now on the even cheaper Alto) and it's become a favorite.

Not sure, but I think I go further back (Olympia). I have Borodin and Fitzwilliam on vinyl but prefer the Shostakovich ensemble on CD - not a statement I often make viz LP and CD. The recording is on the edge which for this music I like.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello Dear GmG menbers, I received an album I had  a pain to order  for 5 years Jachet DE Mantoue, ensemble Jachet DE Mantoue (Northen France).

[asin]B0000634W1[/asin]
Two was listening to Manuel Cardoso on Tallis Scholars I had sold it in a past to re order it now, that a bit dumb, but i love the  album... this perticular.

Have a nice day folks