What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 14, 2021, 09:18:25 AM
Yes, shorter with cuts (and fast interpretation). Good idea.  :D

-1 for the cuts.  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: PaulR on June 14, 2021, 12:16:08 PM
Afternoon!

Viola Sonata #1

The Viola Sonata (arr. from his Clarinet Sonata) is a real stunner. I dare to say it sounds better on the viola.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 14, 2021, 03:15:09 PM

Richard Wetz: Symphony No.2 in A major, op.47; Kleist Overture, op.16. Werner Andreas Albert, Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz

Wow, I'm really enjoying this disc. I don't often go for the "unsung late Romantics", but there is something in Wetz's music that speaks to me. Clearly, he drew much influence from the music of Anton Bruckner, but there is maybe something more intimate or even sentimental in Wetz's melodicism, and perhaps more early 20th century color to his orchestral pallet. I would love to hear more, though little has been recorded.

That's my favorite symphony by Wetz. I love all of them, but to these ears the 2nd is the most cohesive of the bunch.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP:

Dvořák
String Quartet No. 10 in E-flat major, Op. 51 (B. 92) "Slavonic"
Panocha Quartet

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Daverz on June 14, 2021, 03:06:49 PM

Looks like a poster for a 3-way Fight Night. Who will win? (just kidding we all know who wins)

Symphonic Addict

Halffter: Rapsodia Portuguesa for piano and orchestra
Guarnieri: Chôro for violin and orchestra
Howells: Fantasia for cello and orchestra

The Halffter and the Guarnieri left me astounded by the inventiveness of the music. Time well spent with them. The Howells, with its pastoral mood, was good too, but not as remarkable as the others.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Kodály: Sonata for solo cello

This work has its reputation very well gained. One of the crowning achievements for solo cello music. The performance is just flawless.

Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No. 2

The 1st movement possesses a sort of bittersweet lyricism, whilst the 2nd one is sweeter, even tender. I didn't recall how magical that movement is. The final movement contains the pyrotechnics of the whole work, but it's the least interesting overall.

Delius: In a Summer Garden

This performance opened my ears to this subtle and evocative composition. It's much better than I thought. Refinement aplenty.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2021, 07:55:55 PMProkofiev: Violin Concerto No. 2

The 1st movement possesses a sort of bittersweet lyricism, whilst the 2nd one is sweeter, even tender. I didn't recall how magical that movement is. The final movement contains the pyrotechnics of the whole work, but it's the least interesting overall.

Delius: In a Summer Garden

This performance opened my ears to this subtle and evocative composition. It's much better than I thought. Refinement aplenty.

Thumbs up to both! I heartily concur.

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 13, 2021, 01:59:55 PM
Charles Ives
Three Places in New England
New England Holidays
They Are There!

Baltimore Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
David Zinman

Zinman and Baltimore are a little too gentle with this music, but it is a decent recording of Ives' homage to his home.

Interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2021, 04:55:39 PM
The Viola Sonata (arr. from his Clarinet Sonata) is a real stunner. I dare to say it sounds better on the viola.

You know how to hurt a guy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2021, 07:55:55 PM
Kodály: Sonata for solo cello

This work has its reputation very well gained. One of the crowning achievements for solo cello music. The performance is just flawless.

Fabulous piece & execution (the Kodály)! I love the last mvt of the Prokofiev g minor vn cto!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Druzhinin
Sonata for Viola Solo
Julia Rebekka Adler

Great piece!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

George Lloyd PC No.4 (1st movement). This is a fine GL sampler. The PC No.4 has a most memorable 'big tune' in the first movement.
Now playing - Karl-Birger Blomdahl: Symphony No.1 (1943), Swedish RSO, Leif Segerstam.
This is my favourite of the Blomdahl symphonies; rather influenced, I think, by the music of Blomdahl's teacher, Hilding Rosenberg (especially the Symphony No.2 'Grave'):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

Traverso

Holmboe

String Quartets 1-3 & 4

Traverso

VonStupp

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2021, 07:55:55 PM

I always thought the Mordkovitch/Järvi team-ups were very good, their Prokofiev and Shostakovitch in particular.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony 1 in C Major, op. 21
Symphony 2 in D Major, op. 36

Berlin Philharmonic
Herbert von Karajan (1977)

Traversing Karajan's 70's Beethoven cycle today. If I remember, these early symphonies are big readings.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 14, 2021, 03:15:09 PM

Richard Wetz: Symphony No.2 in A major, op.47; Kleist Overture, op.16. Werner Andreas Albert, Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz

Wow, I'm really enjoying this disc. I don't often go for the "unsung late Romantics", but there is something in Wetz's music that speaks to me. Clearly, he drew much influence from the music of Anton Bruckner, but there is maybe something more intimate or even sentimental in Wetz's melodicism, and perhaps more early 20th century color to his orchestral pallet. I would love to hear more, though little has been recorded.

Round 2 with Wetz's second symphony this morning.