What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Lisztianwagner and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

NP:

Two back-to-back Viola Sonatas

Hindemith
Viola Sonata (1939)
Kim Kashkashian, Robert Levin

Martinů
Viola Sonata, H 355
Maxim Rysanov, Katya Apekisheva

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 16, 2021, 06:24:08 PM

It's on Apple Music, listening to it now too! Never thought I needed to hear a Previn/Beethoven record, but I'm digging this a lot, including these movement timings. This needs to be on my CD shelf pronto.
Mark this day in the history books...a new record has been inducted into the GMG Cult Library!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2021, 06:39:51 PM
Mark this day in the history books...a new record has been inducted into the GMG Cult Library!

It's got my vote. Good find, Brian.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 16, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
The whole symphony is magnificent, but the slow movement is to die for.

This is exactly what I thought when listening to his 8th tonight. I should revisit the 2nd.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 16, 2021, 06:42:36 PM
This is exactly what I thought when listening to his 8th tonight. I should revisit the 2nd.

It could be the highlight of that symphony. Now I've come to think that Glazunov wrote some truly gorgeous slow movements. The ones in the 5th and 7th symphonies stand out as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

John Alden Carpenter: Skyscrapers
Gian Carlo Menotti: Sebastian

Two short ballets that pack a punch of fresh ideas. Quite neat discoveries I must say

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 16, 2021, 06:39:30 PM
NP:

Two back-to-back Viola Sonatas

Hindemith
Viola Sonata (1939)
Kim Kashkashian, Robert Levin

Top-notch recordings and performances of his viola works.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 16, 2021, 07:31:37 PM
It could be the highlight of that symphony. Now I've come to think that Glazunov wrote some truly gorgeous slow movements. The ones in the 5th and 7th symphonies stand out as well.

That he did, Cesar. The more time I spend with Glazunov, the more I love his music.

Thread duty -

Shostakovich
Violin Concerto No. 2 in C-sharp minor, Op. 129
Ibragimova
State Academic SO of Russia 'Evgeny Svetlanov'
Jurowski

I have since come around to both of these performances of these concerti. I think Ibragimova and Jurowski have the full measure of this music. Obviously, both of these incredible musicians are too young to remember the bleak period of their country's history. Ibragimova moved to England with her family when she was still young, so she wasn't exposed to the same environment that Jurowski was exposed to who was born in Moscow, but like Ibragimova, he moved with his family, but to Germany. Anyway, I suppose this is my long-winded way of saying that I believe that they brought their own unique perspectives to this music and either musician can say that their favorite composer is Brahms or Bach, but the reality is this music is truly in their blood and the performances reveal this or, at least, in my view they do.

Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 60, "Leningrad"
USSR Ministry of Culture SO
Rozhdestvensky

Despite the shortcomings in fidelity (strings are a bit too recessed and the brass and percussion in climaxes will peel the paint of a wall), I think these are extraordinary performances. Rozhdestvensky obviously knew this music inside out. I bought his set several years ago for an expensive price, but it was worth it as this cycle is one I'd put up against Kondrashin and Haitink (my two other favorites).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 04:41:07 PM

Symphony no 1.

I've always liked Menuhin's way with Elgar's orchestral works: unfussy, direct and rather bold even if it's not especially fast. It surely helps he knew Elgar and performed the violin concerto under his baton.

Technically, Menuhin was notoriously wayward and vague as a conductor but I completely agree with you about his Elgar recordings - both these symphonies on (as was) Virgin and his Enigma (on Tring) are really very good indeed.

Traverso

Shostakovich

24 Preludes & Fugues

vandermolen

Bliss: Concerto for Two Pianos (arr. three hands), Sellick and Smith, conducted by Malcolm Arnold.
This short work is very different to the epic Piano Concerto but I enjoy it just as much. This CD from the Bliss boxed set is especially fine, featuring Adam Zero (ballet suite), Discourse for Orchestra, the Concerto for two pianos and the Christopher Columbus (film suite). I really like this boxed set (the only one devoted to Bliss's music), although it's a bit odd that you get two recordings of 'Music for Strings' and none of 'Morning Heroes' (arguably Bliss's greatest work) or 'Meditations on a Theme by John Blow', even though these were both recorded by EMI:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 16, 2021, 08:59:03 PM
NP:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 60, "Leningrad"
USSR Ministry of Culture SO
Rozhdestvensky

Despite the shortcomings in fidelity (strings are a bit too recessed and the brass and percussion in climaxes will peel the paint of a wall), I think these are extraordinary performances. Rozhdestvensky obviously knew this music inside out. I bought his set several years ago for an expensive price, but it was worth it as this cycle is one I'd put up against Kondrashin and Haitink (my two other favorites).
+1 I think very highly of these performances.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 24 [Moravec/Marriner]

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on June 16, 2021, 01:01:25 PM
Ina Boyle: Symphony No.1 "Glencree" (In the Wicklow Hills).

I have that CD and, as it happens, I also live relatively near to Glencree. The music is evocative of the landscape.

QuoteAs it is numbered I guess there is more. I do hope so.

Perhaps via streaming but I have been unable to get a hard copy of any more of Boyle's music on CD other than a few songs on a compilation.

VonStupp

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony 9 in d minor "Choral", op. 125
Anna Tomowa-Sintow, Agnes Baltsa,
Peter Schreier, José Van Dam
Berlin Philharmonic & Vienna Singverein
Herbert von Karajan (1977)

Is it sacrilege to say I never much cared for Beethoven's 9th Symphony? I can't quite place my finger on why, either. Maybe too much anticipation for the big event?

Regardless, many seem to think this recording as Karajan's best of this particular work. The soloists are great, that is for sure, although I never cared for the Vienna Singerverein during Karajan's reign.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 in D major. André Previn, London Symphony Orchestra

I think I'm enjoying this symphony more than usual. With the London and Sea symphonies, this was always one of my least favorite RVW symphonies—to say the following will endear me to no one here, but I've always found the slow movement of the 5th somewhat cloying. Today I am finding it less so and getting somewhat more out of it. Maybe the work is growing on me with time and space; it's been well over a year since I've listened to it last. Great performance from Previn and the Londoners.

Biffo

William Alwyn: Sinfonietta for Strings - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Richard Hickox

Traverso

Schubert

Symphony No.8  (1957)

Concertgebouworkest  Eduard van Beinum

Papy Oli

Bach - Psalm 51 (Tilge, Höchste...) / Hengelbrock

Olivier