What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 18, 2021, 07:33:08 AM
Occasionally mentioned here before.  If you are a francophile musically speaking this is for you;

Just delightful music from start to end.  Not epic, not heaven-storming, not profound or heart-rending.  Just beautiful
+1 Great set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 18, 2021, 07:47:37 AM

Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony

Franck: symphony in d minor
Ibert: Escales
d'Indy: symphonie cévenole
Roussel: Bacchus et Ariane, 2nd suite
Honegger: symphony no 5
Saint-Saëns: symphony no 3

Reference performances for all the works here. The Roussel and Honegger are in mono, so more modern releases should have priority over these, but that does not diminish their artistic value. A great set (2 discs).
Totally agree. I especially like the performance of Honegger's craggy 5th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on June 18, 2021, 07:11:27 AM
No. The best is this

Oh did he compose music too?

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 18, 2021, 05:43:24 AM
Alan Hovhaness

Symphonies back to back today, including others not shown... Saint Vartan, All Men Are Brothers, Vahaken, etc.

I've always enjoyed Hovhaness and rarely tire of his tunefulness, brass and strings melodies, and accessibility. Couldn't listen only to him, but that could be said for every composer I enjoy.

Love the DRD & Keith Brion discs.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Bach - Missa Brevis in F, BWV 233 (Herreweghe, Collegium Vocale Gent)

Olivier

vandermolen

NYM's swan song - Symphony No.27
More feeling at the start than in the recent Petrenko I think - good as that one is:

Mandryka

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 18, 2021, 09:07:47 AM
Oh did he compose music too?

I think it's very disputable -- he may have sponsored them in some way.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bhodges

Now listening to Messiaen's Quatuor pour la fin du temps, livestreamed with members of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. The performance should be available later, and it's well worth catching. It reminds me of hearing the same piece, years ago, with principals from the Met Orchestra -- repertoire they don't usually play.

Sound and video are superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izqaPR0MZ3E

Arno Piters - clarinet
Marc Daniel van Biemen - violin
Johan Van Iersel - cello
Jeroen Bal - piano

--Bruce

VonStupp

Max Bruch
Symphony 1 in E-flat Major, op. 28
Symphony 2 in f minor, op. 36
Romanze in a minor, op. 42
Salvatore Accardo, violin
Gewandhaus, Kurt Masur (rec. 1977-88)

Bruch's are solid symphonies in the German Romantic tradition, tuneful and well-structured. Masur's recordings are not state-of-the-art sonically, but certainly more than serviceable on the audio front, and very well played by the Gewandhaus. I love Accardo in the violin concertante works.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2021, 12:37:10 AM
Englund: 1st Symphony "War".

Presumably an ADD recording from 1979 which is very good indeed. Turku Philharmonic conducted by Pertti Pekkonen.

A very good work. His birthday was yesterday, btw.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 18, 2021, 05:20:22 AM
Respighi, Suite in E major.

A symphony in all but name. It reminds me of Braga Santos in some fragments.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

You normally don't associate Weber with masses, but yes, he composed two, and they're quite good, actually.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: VonStupp on June 18, 2021, 10:36:22 AM
Max Bruch
Symphony 1 in E-flat Major, op. 28
Symphony 2 in f minor, op. 36
Romanze in a minor, op. 42
Salvatore Accardo, violin
Gewandhaus, Kurt Masur (rec. 1977-88)

Bruch's are solid symphonies in the German Romantic tradition, tuneful and well-structured. Masur's recordings are not state-of-the-art sonically, but certainly more than serviceable. I love Accardo in the violin concertante works.

Yes, the sound quality of these recordings have a sort of reverberation that is not always pleasant, but the performances do justice to the works. For the symphonies, this release is in excellent performances and sound too:

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2021, 08:10:20 AM
Kalnins: Symphony No.6 (2001). Can't stop playing this one.

I understand you advocate both the composer and this collection of his works, Jeffrey ? Economically it seems more advantageous than buying them separately. So, if everything in it is worth it... but is it ? I've never heard anything by Kalnins  :(

André

Mathias is not an 'easy' composer. Like his countryman Hoddinott, he does not attempt to charm and his style is on the left side of modernity, relying more on textures and direct expression than on tunefulness and thematic development. I have half a dozen discs of his music and find that this is an apparent but not 'real' difficulty. Mathias is a most communicative composer, aiming clearly to establish a link with his audience.

In view of this, this program of songs and chamber music is nothing short than ideal. Instead of the usual mix of works for a defined group of players, what we have is an alternance of songs (baritone and piano) and instrumental works in different forms: for two trumpets, two pianos, two violins, clarinet and piano, flute and piano, harp solo (his big Sonata op 66), and a 4tet of flute, oboe, bassoon and piano. The sung languages are English and Welsh. It's impossible to be bored or put off by this ingenious and yes, charming program. The sung items adopt a more conventional tonal and folk-based idiom, the instumental ones being those that adopt a more modernistic stance. Texts and translations available on the Naxos website. I printed them just in case they would disappear in the ethernet.

Brian

Quote from: André on June 18, 2021, 11:14:40 AM
I understand you advocate both the composer and this collection of his works, Jeffrey ? Economically it seems more advantageous than buying them separately. So, if everything in it is worth it... but is it ? I've never heard anything by Kalnins  :(
I listened to a couple of the Kalnins symphonies on streaming, but forgot to take notes or post about them. :( Don't remember anything about them, but it seems promising that I listened to more than one.

VonStupp

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 18, 2021, 11:01:36 AM
Yes, the sound quality of these recordings have a sort of reverberation that is not always pleasant, but the performances do justice to the works. For the symphonies, this release is in excellent performances and sound too:

For the longest time, there seemed to be only two complete Bruch symphony cycles, the Masur I'm listening to and Conlon with his Cologne orchestra. It's nice to see another in the ring after all these years; these symphonies deserve some advocacy.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!

Weinberg
Sonata for Viola Solo № 2, Op. 123
Julia Rebekka Adler
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

It's surprisingly good! I never realised until I heard it read how dramatic it is.  Someone (Karl!) ought to make an opera of this book.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2021, 07:15:17 AM

A fine looking lady. How challenging it must have been in her time living her whole life in the same house in rural Ireland and yet crossing the Irish sea at every opportunity for teaching and encouragement from RVW. That took not a little courage and determination I would guess.

I will listen to the String Quartet over the weekend.

Please post your thoughts after listening, good or bad  :)