What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW, Madiel, Lisztianwagner and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on June 18, 2021, 11:14:40 AM
I understand you advocate both the composer and this collection of his works, Jeffrey ? Economically it seems more advantageous than buying them separately. So, if everything in it is worth it... but is it ? I've never heard anything by Kalnins  :(

I can unreservedly endorse Symphonies 6 & 7. #6 in particular is really quite an emotional work, with some beautiful choral and orchestral melodies, while #7 is a great ride. Lots of fun. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest, if these two are in any way representative.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 18, 2021, 09:49:43 AM
Bach - Missa Brevis in F, BWV 233 (Herreweghe, Collegium Vocale Gent)

Those are fine works and I hope that you enjoy them, Olivier.

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!
Skalkottas
Concertino for Oboe & Piano, AK 28
Alexeï Ogrintchouk, ob
Christophe Sirodeau, pf

Very nice ... and gives me an idea .....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Max Bruch
Symphony 3 in E major, op. 51
Adagio appassionato, op. 57
In Memoriam, op. 65
Konzertstück in f-sharp minor, op. 84
Salvatore Accardo, violin
Gewandhaus, Kurt Masur (rec. 1977-88)

Bruch's 3rd Symphony may be my favorite of his trio, with its throbbing 2nd movement theme and variations and his writing for winds. It's the violin concertante works that are the soul of this whole recorded presentation though; Accardo makes me sweat, he puts so much into these lovely pieces.

I'm not sure what happened to Bruch's Swedish Dances that I remember from the original Philips symphonies release, but I so rarely see those on record.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2021, 01:34:59 PM
Please post your thoughts after listening, good or bad  :)
I found this Ina Boyle CD to be very fine and a must for admirers of VW's music, although she has her own unique style.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!
Skalkottas
Sonata Concertante for Bassoon & Piano, AK 67
Marc Trenel, bn
Christophe Sirodeau, pf
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 18, 2021, 11:14:40 AM
I understand you advocate both the composer and this collection of his works, Jeffrey ? Economically it seems more advantageous than buying them separately. So, if everything in it is worth it... but is it ? I've never heard anything by Kalnins  :(
I was hooked by hearing the opening of No.6 on You Tube André. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5Q3geqot0

I already owned a CD featuring Symphony No.5 which I liked very much and thought that the opening of No.4, the 'Rock' Symphony was great fun (influence of Ravel's 'Bolero'), which I saw on You Tube performed by the Baltic Sea Youth Orchestra conducted by Kristjan Jarvi. This was enough for me to purchase the (inexpensive) box set. Frankly I've played No.6 so many times that I haven't been able to get round to the other symphonies that I haven't heard yet. Foxandpeng's endorsement of No.7 is encouraging.

Here's the Baltic Sea Youth Orchestra performing the opening movement of Kalnin's 'Rock Symphony'. They were clearly enjoying performing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI4G5J50nGg

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!
Juon
Violin Sonata № 1 in A, Op. 7
Ala Voronkova, vn
Evelyn Dubourg, pf
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Wōlfl: Symphony in C major, Op. 41

Well above average for Classical Era symphonies, and very well played and recorded here.  Always nice to make the acquaintance of a previously unknown Classical Era kleinmeister.

T. D.

My only recording of LT (fine piece, maybe I should get more?), Aldwell plays it well IMO. Have long wanted to hear Aldwell's Bach (one of those things I never got around to); his WTC is not so easy to find, but I just noticed a French Suites release on Haenssler!

SimonNZ

SonicMan46

Quote from: Daverz on June 18, 2021, 04:52:40 PM
Wōlfl: Symphony in C major, Op. 41

Well above average for Classical Era symphonies, and very well played and recorded here.  Always nice to make the acquaintance of a previously unknown Classical Era kleinmeister.

Hi Dave - I've been collecting Joseph Woelfl (1773-1812) for a while; another short-lived composer from Salzburg - now have the 8 CDs inserted above (for those interested, check link for his list of compositions) - worth exploring.  Dave :)

JBS

CD 3

All of these works are new to me, so
#FirstListenFriday

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 18, 2021, 05:31:20 PM
Hi Dave - I've been collecting Joseph Woelfl (1773-1812) for a while; another short-lived composer from Salzburg - now have the 8 CDs inserted above (for those interested, check link for his list of compositions) - worth exploring.  Dave :)

Wow, thanks.  I'll have to check out the string quartets for sure.

Second listen:

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 18, 2021, 05:47:41 PM
CD 3

All of these works are new to me, so
#FirstListenFriday

Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

NP:

Dvořák
Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 13
LSO
Kertész

I've always loved this this symphony. Fantastic performance, too.

Symphonic Addict

Piano Sonata in E-flat minor, WoO 19

I enjoy the intense romanticism of this piece. My cup of tea.

Symphonies 1 and 3

Giving them a try for the first time. Ugh, these works are boring as hell. Flaccid, tepid, anemic symphonies. Certainly my first time hearing this, and definitely the last one too. BTW, a perfect candidate for the worst first symphony ever.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Quote from: VonStupp on June 18, 2021, 03:06:54 PM

I'm not sure what happened to Bruch's Swedish Dances that I remember from the original Philips symphonies release, but I so rarely see those on record.
Really nice CPO CD with those dances.

I have only heard the Naxos versions of the symphonies but they were very dull.

Mirror Image

NP:

Ginastera
Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 22
Korstick

This is a winning disc all-around. I wish Korstick would record the PCs.