What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli (+ 1 Hidden) and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

"Papa"
Concerto for Organ in C, Hob. XVIII:8
Marie-Claire Alain
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Symphony no 3, 'Eroica'.

This time Thielemann is on to something - at least in the first 2 movements. I've read comments about his furwänglerian approach and in this work I understand the idea (even though Furt never conducted the 3rd in this way). CT's pacing is so peculiar in the first movement and the Marcia funebre that the attention is constantly called by details I've never heard before (can that be in a work so familiar ?). Sometimes I wonder if he invents them or simply manages to bring unfamiliar inner voices to light by adjusting/manipulating the instrumental balances. These being all live recordings, I exclude any sound engineering trickery. The slow movement in particular makes me think of Ein Heldenleben in the scope of the argument and the variety of incident (rythmic and harmonic) he manages to bring out.

The last 2 movements bring us back to earth with a much more 'normal', familiar approach. The finale does have its share of tempo adjustments and manipulations, but this rime it sounds mannered rather than revelatory. Thielemann's concept of the work is probably still a work in progress. It was recorded 12 years ago. It may by now have settled into something more organic. I'd be willing to hear a remake.

André

JBS

Quote from: JBS on June 18, 2021, 05:47:41 PM
CD 3

All of these works are new to me, so
#FirstListenFriday

Now on to CD 4, which is mostly lieder with piano, except for the Maeternlinck Songs, which is a non-Zemlinsky arrangement for chamber orchestra.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2021, 10:12:55 AM
"Spain-Dunk" is a funny name.

You like this one? I sampled a little bit and thought the sound quality was very close and made him sound cold.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Spain-Dunk

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

I've seen Jeffrey talking about Diamond's symphonies recently, so I needed to refresh my memory by listening to one of them, more precisely the Sym. No. 1. Stupendous work indeed. There is much vigour running throughout. The slow movement has a touching spiritual aura. I also like the inclusion of bells.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 19, 2021, 07:54:08 AM
Yes. I had to take a bit of a hiatus from music through May and June due to some unforeseen life events. It's good getting back to obsessive listening again;D

Sorry to hear about that, I hope everything is okay. Anyway, it's good to see you posting again. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 19, 2021, 06:56:49 PM
I've seen Jeffrey talking about Diamond's symphonies recently, so I needed to refresh my memory by listening to one of them, more precisely the Sym. No. 1. Stupendous work indeed. There is much vigour running throughout. The slow movement has a touching spiritual aura. I also like the inclusion of bells.

I should revisit this work. I do like Diamond's music quite a bit. I'm really taken with his early SQs and symphonies.

Mirror Image

NP:

Hindemith
String Quartet No. 7 in E-flat
Amar Quartet

Mirror Image

First-Listen Saturday

Mascagni
Cavalleria rusticana
Gian Giacomo Guelfi (baritone), Carlo Bergonzi (tenor), Fiorenza Cossotto (mezzo-soprano), Maria Gracia Allegri (contralto), Adriane Martino (mezzo-soprano), Roberto Benaglio (chorus master)
Teatro alla Scala
Karajan

Exquisite!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 19, 2021, 07:27:40 PM
First-Listen Saturday

Mascagni
Cavalleria rusticana
Gian Giacomo Guelfi (baritone), Carlo Bergonzi (tenor), Fiorenza Cossotto (mezzo-soprano), Maria Gracia Allegri (contralto), Adriane Martino (mezzo-soprano), Roberto Benaglio (chorus master)
Teatro alla Scala
Karajan

Exquisite!

Pounds the table! A magnificent score.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Martinu: Symphony No. 2
Pärt: Symphony No. 3

Two amazing symphonies. The Pärt is unquestionably his best symphony, with great parts for the brass and the timpani. It's much better than I remembered. I feel a sort of "visionary" element on it that strikes me very much.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 19, 2021, 07:43:21 PM
Pounds the table! A magnificent score.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 19, 2021, 07:49:52 PM
Martinu: Symphony No. 2
Pärt: Symphony No. 3

Two amazing symphonies. The Pärt is unquestionably his best symphony, with great parts for the brass and the timpani. It's much better than I remembered. I feel a sort of "visionary" element on it that strikes me very much.

Right back at ya! ;) ;D

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The last work tonight:

Saygun - Symphony No. 4

Wow! What a gripping work!! Its threatening atmosphere brought Tubin's Symphony No. 2 to my mind. I have to remind myself to listen to Saygun more often. This was seriously good. The very ending could have been a bit more cogent, but it's a minor complaint, actually.

Noam Chomsky

Que

Morning listening:

Fretwork's 1st recording from 1995.

Madiel

Tackling the Emperor again.

I'm more in the right mood for it today, but... the 1st movement still does seem to be a bit too long for my attention span. Grand-heroic is not my favourite musical tone.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Undersea

Now Playing:

Received this set a couple of weeks ago and have been listening to it often since then (although this is the first time I posted about it) - Basically I am delighted with the Music so far!: Big thanks to the Members who recommended these recordings... :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2021, 04:46:50 AM
Boyle: String Quartet [Chiral String Quartet]

Allegro moderato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5A-VrBr4HY&t=17s
Adagio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m_QOQmyJCg
Allegro molto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbWMN-AwPA

The musical language of the first movement is straightforward but it has much to say. I particularly like the cello work. The musical language of the second movement is much more adventurous and its tone is intense, solemn and atmospheric. The third movement is energetic, fitful and inventive.
I really like this work, I must say. It is very well crafted. I think that it is fine string quartet writing and I find it to be, if not compelling, quite appealing.

Fascinating rereading your notes aligreto after listening to the work. I very much agree Boyle's SQ is very well crafted. The first two movements do have a lot to say. During listening I jotted down restless and quite dramatic against the first, with pleading and sad for the second. All a bit serious, but the short, light and scurrying finale is a masterstroke giving the string quartet balance.

If a commercial recording was issued I would purchase, definitely.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Biber - Violin sonatas (Manze, North, Toll)

Olivier