What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Good afternoon. :) Currently listening to Ligeti - Études Pour Piano. I've finished culling now and this box took nearly all the hits - early works from Hungary, the CD of mechanical performances on barrel organs, player pianos and metronomes, the late Nonsense Madrigals, the two CDs of the Grand Macabre opera and the Sonata For Solo Viola. There's still plenty of good stuff left though, and well worth the 20 pounds I paid for it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Fikret Amirov orchestral works. Gorgeous music by the Azerbaijani composer.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 23, 2021, 10:03:08 PM
Rawsthorne - Violin Concertos etc. /Hirsch /naxos

Excellent. Was struck by a somehow very Myaskovskyan tone in the violin concertos, don't know if others would agree.

Love the disc though I don't know about a Myaskovsky resemblance.

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2021, 05:59:09 AM
Love the disc though I don't know about a Myaskovsky resemblance.

The first maybe.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No. 101 "Clock", Norrington conducting the RSO Stuttgart

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

foxandpeng

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2021, 05:55:55 AM
Fikret Amirov orchestral works. Gorgeous music by the Azerbaijani composer.

Intriguing. I'm game.

Now playing...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 24, 2021, 06:28:58 AM
Intriguing. I'm game.

Now playing...

Nice disc of my favorite composer. Also the 1001 (Arabian) Nights from Naxos is enjoyable though the oop Olympia recording is better.

Mirror Image

NP:

Glazunov
Scenes de ballet, Op. 52
USSR State SO
Svetlanov

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No. 99 "Cat" and No. 94 "Surprise", Norrington conducting the RSO Stuttgart

Sarge

Mirror Image

A Janáček orchestral double-bill

Sinfonietta
Taras Bulba
Czech Philharmonic
Ančerl

I have to say I don't think I've ever heard any finer performances of either of these works. The Taras Bulba is downright disturbing in the way it should be and the Sinfonietta has all the virtuosity you could imagine. These recordings coming from the Ančerl Gold series are 'gold', indeed.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2021, 06:40:56 AM
Nice disc of my favorite composer. Also the 1001 (Arabian) Nights from Naxos is enjoyable though the oop Olympia recording is better.

OK, I'm willing to follow where you are leading 🙂. The Shur, etc, was a pleasant surprise, which I was apparently 'playing too loudly while I'm on calls'. I can see that repeated listening will really fix the melodies quite quickly. Spinning the 1001 Nights now.

Streaming is great but it does mean that the oop Olympia is sadly off the table for now, at least.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on June 23, 2021, 11:39:44 AM

Two of the best piano trios ever penned*, here presented in splendid performance and resplendent sonics.

*Am I alone in actually preferring the second one to the first?

Nope, you're not alone! ;) I think the passionate, dramatic 2nd trio is one of Mendelssohn's greatest works - the 1st trio, while very nice, doesn't quite belong in that category IMO. The quotations of the Doxology in the finale of the 2nd never fails to give me chills!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: ritter on June 23, 2021, 02:09:05 PM
First listen to some recently ordered CDs that landed today (all the works appearing on these discs are new to me):

I have very little Kodály in my collection, and found these two pieces (the Psalmus Hungaricus and the Peacock Variations) very impressive in their brilliance and overall effect. Really enjoyable!

Would have never guessed you'd be a fan of Kodály, Rafael! ;) I particularly love the Peacock Variations - what a colorful and exciting work!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No. 98, Norrington conducting the RSO Stuttgart

Sarge

SonicMan46

Boccherini, Luigi (1743-1805) - Cello Quintets w/ Richard Lester/Vanbrugh Quartet and Kuijkens/Bylsma/Others, i.e. works with two cellos - he wrote 113 (G265-377) 'String Quintets w/ Two Cellos' (Source), and also fewer string quintets with 2 violas and 1 cello.  Quoted below is what is in my collection of this genre, i.e. own nearly 40 w/ a few duplications.  Dave :)

QuoteLester - Vanbrugh Quartet (Hyperion)
  G275*, G310, G348, G349-351, G353 (7)
La Magnifica Comunita (Brilliant)
  G265-270 (Op. 10 - 6)
  G271-276 (Op. 11 - 6)
  G277-281 (Op. 13 - 6)
Kuijken-Bylsma-Others (Seon)
  G313-318 (Op. 29 - 6)
Petersen Quartett (Capriccio)
  G280*, G326, G393, G401+ (4)
Ensemble Concertant Frankfurt (MDG)
  G249, G337-339 (4)

*Duplicated Cello Quintets
+Two Violas rather than 2 Cellos

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 24, 2021, 01:00:55 AM
You can sample this on Spotify now

Definitely looking forward to it!  :)

Sergeant Rock

Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor" played by Fleisher, Szell conducting the Cleveland

Sarge

Traverso

Shostakovich

Symphony No.8

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 04:55:39 PM
NP:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 13 in B-flat minor, Op. 113, "Babi Yar"
Marius Rintzler (bass)
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Gentlemen from the Choir of the Concertgebouw Orchestra
Haitink

Exhilarating! What a performance!
Haitink's is the most moving 'Babi Yar' as it is of VW's 'A Sea Symphony' IMO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 24, 2021, 01:50:01 AM
Good to know! As a staunch admirer of Hymnus Paradisi, I always wondered about this mass, but never found the courage to really listen to it. Hope to do so once, but with your caveat in my head.
You might enjoy it more that I do Johan. I'm now listening to the 'Stabat Mater' on the same double CD set and enjoying it much more.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).