What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2021, 02:41:11 PM
One further dip:

Bartók
Sonata For Two Pianos And Percussion, Sz 110, BB 115
Dezső Ránki, Zoltán Kocsis, Ferenc Petz, József Marton

Oooh!  That looks like a tempting set!  I have a few LPs from it.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 12, 2021, 05:42:16 PM
Maiden-Listen Mondays!

CD 11

Richard Rodney Bennett Calendar for chamber ensemble

Gordon Crosse Concerto da camera for solo violin, wind and percussion

Birtwistle Tragœdia

Maxwell Davies Leopardi Fragments

That's a great set!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 13, 2021, 03:57:15 AM
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck?

John, I hate to break it to you, but you ARE a collector. If someone looks at the word collector in the dictionary, your picture is there.  :D

Well a real collector would pay $5,000 for some rare vinyl pressing of an album you could get on CD for $5. ::)

Brahmsian

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 13, 2021, 04:46:55 AM
Well a real collector would pay $5,000 for some rare vinyl pressing of an album you could get on CD for $5. ::)

Ha ha. True!  ;D

Que

I greatly enjoyed this series of three volumes. Early works by Cimarosa that are not core repertoire but interesting and fun to listen to, especially in the stylish perfomances by Andrea Coen.

OOP and expensive, but if Brilliant or Glossa would reissue these Symphonia recordings I might snap them up.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Eivind Groven, SY1, etc.

Biffo

Bax: Enchanted Summer - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Brighton Festival Chorus & soloists conducted by Vernon Handley

Madiel

I certainly pay more for a specific CD I want than for downloads (or heck, I can just stream), or for a larger box.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Carlo Gesualdo

I most first and foremost add adjective to this post wow mind blowen, IL postino, delivered me fews CD of captivating interrest  & one LP, we get in this now, pronto!!!

IL Maestro deprofundis will show you these albums...  :P I drool like a drunk Pavlov dog of Russia

Was currently listening to the vynil, heck it's Josquin.
The LP is a NON-SUCH  Josquin Desprez: Missa Ave Marie Stella, by non other than direction of choir, mister George Hunter.

Deuxio the CD's shall we proceed?

One double album double the fun, totally  blowen to smitten for this oneSigismondo D'India yep two CD's Lamenti & Sospiri, BY CAPELLA MEDITERRANEA, pretty sleeve , nice introduction to this Sicilian Gentleman.

Paolo Lorenzani on naxos and  Giovanni Picchi Concerto Scirocco, delightful hey.. well guess what that not all , Wheel Of Fortune effect, I'm just like no , not this also, yeah boye, this ending arrival

La Venexiana & Claudio Cavina, album name: A DUE ALTI whit early baroque composer of Italy, of course, sorry for enthusiasm SUPRA SUPER. Please enjoy all good  stuff here, hope you all enjoy this post, has I was happy to received  a sizeable quantity of my goods  orders

Harry

Marin Marais.

Pieces a une et Deux Violes Premier Livre. (1686)
CD III
Suite in re majeur, en sol majeur
Sujet diversitez.
Tombeau de Mr. Meliton a deux violes.
Rondeau.

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass Viol.
L'Acheron.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

We call that a connoisseur  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on July 12, 2021, 10:51:11 PM
Interesting. In my mind I wouldn't make that association. If anything I'd make the opposite association, because a collector wouldn't necessarily be interested in DIVESTING.

That is a good point, but I've seen certain sellers on eBay for example that have a HUGE CD collection and they're getting rid of it all and that's fine of course, but the prices he's asking are ridiculous.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 12, 2021, 09:50:41 PM
That Prokofiev CD is one of my favourites (all three works) of that Chandos series.

Now playing:
Rachmaninov 'The Bells' BBC Nat. Orch. of Wales (Otaka) from the 2019 Proms (came with BBC Music Magazine, Aug. 2021)
The coupling is very interesting as well - Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at  an Exhibition' orchestrated by Sir Henry Wood. This is my favourite orchestration - less sophisticated than Ravel's version but IMO, more authentically 'Russian' and closer to the spirit of the original. 'The Great Gate of Kiev/Kyiv' is especially impressive in Wood's orchestration and the audience clearly enjoyed it. From my point of view I was also very interested in the feature of the composer Ruth Gipps in the magazine.

It's a fine disc for sure, Jeffrey. Oh and I love Rachmaninov's The Bells. Do you know this Svetlanov recording?

It is off-the-chain good.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on July 13, 2021, 03:57:15 AM
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck?

John, I hate to break it to you, but you ARE a collector. If someone looks at the word collector in the dictionary, your picture is there.  :D

Hah! :P You're so right and I was afraid to own up to it --- I still am. :D I'm scared. Tonight I'll be sleeping with the lights on. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 13, 2021, 04:20:39 AM
Oooh!  That looks like a tempting set!  I have a few LPs from it.   :)

PD

It is an outstanding set, but you're going to find that whatever sets are still floating around out there will be rather expensive. I bought mine off eBay as I had made an offer to a seller and they accepted. It was expensive even with my bid, but the rarity of the set (I don't think it'll ever see any other kind of reissue from Hungaroton) and the fact that I didn't own most of these performances certainly were the deciding factors. This was kind of like the last piece of the Bartók puzzle that I was missing. I'm grateful that I own it --- well, I'm grateful for everything that I own. I'm lucky to have it.

Harry

Sergei Bortkiewicz.

Piano music.
CD VI

Quatre Morceaux, opus 3.
Aus meiner Kindheit, opus 14.
Dix Preludes, opus 33.

Klaas Trapman, Piano.

What a fine set this is, love his music.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

NP:

Dvořák
String Quartet No. 13 in G Major, Op. 106, B. 192
Pavel Haas Quartet

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 13, 2021, 02:12:32 AM

George Frederick McKay: Evocation Symphony, or "Symphony for Seattle". John McLaughlin Williams, National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine

First listen. Sounds like good stuff.

Very nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot