What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826) - Clarinet Quintet & Concertos performed on both modern and period instruments from those on the cover art - re-did my collection of these Weber works earlier in the year and am happy w/ these recordings.  Dave :)

VonStupp

Quote from: Traverso on July 23, 2021, 08:06:27 AM

They are idiosyncratic performances that do not fail to charm me.  :)

What a wonderful adjective to describe Maazel. Probably true for many of the recordings I have heard him lead.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Traverso

Quote from: VonStupp on July 23, 2021, 08:21:48 AM
What a wonderful adjective to describe Maazel. Probably true for many of the recordings I have heard him lead.

I just listened to the final bars of the second Brahms symphony (Allegro con spirito).It is really great,its different but so convincing,so full of Beethovian echo's and Brahmsian muscles ,it's a joy to listen to. :)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Traverso on July 23, 2021, 08:54:04 AM
I just listened to the final bars of the second Brahms symphony (Allegro con spirito).It is really great,its different but so convincing,so full of Beethovian echo's and Brahmsian muscles ,it's a joy to listen to. :)

The Maazel Cleveland recordings of the Brahms symphonies are great favorites with me. Generally relaxed tempi, allowing wonderful interpretative touches. The slow movements are particularly beautiful.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 23, 2021, 07:53:37 AM
I've been listening to the Faure Nocturnes from this set, up to the fifth so far. They are poetic and technically impressive. Beautiful recordings.

All I could think is that the shape of his head is not unlike the shape of a bottle of champagne turned upside down.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Fauré

Pelléas et Mélisande
Pavane
Fantasie
Masque et Bergamasque - Suite

Tchaikovsky

Sextet "Souvenir de Florence"

SonicMan46

Weber, Carl Maria von - Symphonies & Bassoon Concerto w/ Juanjo Mena/BBC Philharmonic + Karen Geoghegan - a BRO bargain and replacement for another recording - reviews attached.

Stanford, Finzi, Arnold - Clarinet Concertos w/ Michael Collins/BBC Philharmonic as soloist and conductor - another BRO arrival; three reviews attached w/ two from Fanfare in a little disagreement, but to break the tie a 'thumbs up' from MusicWeb!  Dave :)

listener

DVOŘÁK Symphony no.4 in d    op.13
Czech Philharmonic O.,, Václav Neumann, cond.
a cheerful work in a minor key, and the wonderful sound of Czech winds.
(good mental exercise: switch to the Czech keyboard and try to remember the differences)
RÖNTGEN:  Piano Concertos 2 & 4
Hannover NDR Radiophilharmonie       David Porcelijn, cond 

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

VonStupp

I find Satie's orchestral music to lay on the inconsequential side, with a hearty helping of eccentric circus atmosphere. At least Abravanel and Utah give it their personal stamp of rustic playing abilities aided by Vanguard's closely-captured winds. A little personality goes a long way for 100 minutes of Satie!

Quote from: VonStupp on July 22, 2021, 10:26:06 AM
Erik Satie
Homage to Satie
Utah SO - Maurice Abravanel
(rec. 1968)

Spending the rest of the day with Satie's orchestral music. Interesting notes from Darius Milhaud.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Sergeant Rock

Ives Holidays Symphony, MTT conducting the Chicago

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2021, 12:03:47 AM
TD
Nino Rota: Symphony No.1 (1936-39)
I enjoyed this, rather sunny neo-classical, work. The affirmative conclusion reminded me of Braga Santos:

Rota wrote some fine and joyous pieces, among them 4 symphonies which are nothing demanding. Almost all what I've heard by him has been worth my time.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2021, 12:32:35 PM
Rota wrote some fine and joyous pieces, among them 4 symphonies which are nothing demanding. Almost all what I've heard by him has been worth my time.
Coincidentally I am listening to Symphony No.1 again now Cesar and enjoy it increasingly. Respighi, Braga Santos and Vaughan Williams came to mind whilst listening to it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

This is one for GMG Renaissance massive to try for the singing of Willaert's vespers, and for the Andrea Gabrieli organ pieces. The organ music absolutely works with the vespers, like they were made for each other. The singing is passionate, they "inhabit" the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sergeant Rock

Ives Central Park in the Dark and The Unanswered Question, MTT conducting the Chicago

Sarge

Karl Henning

JEG leading the RCO in the great Schubert C Major Symphony, D. 944
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Wagner Tannhäuser Overture, Karajan conducting the Vienna Phil

Sarge

Karl Henning

CD 10:

Schönberg
Fünf Orchesterstücke, Op. 16
Mariss Jansons

Theo Leovendie
Cto for Pf & Orch—First-Listen Friday!
Ronald Brautigam, pf
Riccardo Chailly

"Wolferl"
Symphony № 40 in g minor, K. 550
Nikolaus Harnoncourt
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Dvořák 9 and Schubert 5: these two symphonies are taking quite a beating in Symphonic Addict's thread in the Polling Station. I thought I'd show my support for these two works that are among my favorites and have been for over half a century. Played them both in band arrangements in high school.

Sarge

Traverso

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 23, 2021, 01:47:01 PM
Wagner Tannhäuser Overture, Karajan conducting the Vienna Phil

Sarge

Fine recording

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Traverso on July 23, 2021, 02:48:24 PM
Fine recording

Yes, a great disc. Norman is very moving in the Liebestod.

Sarge