What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Pretty well everyone in the 16th century wrote a version of the melody of Dowland's Lachrimae. But listen to this! Astonishing imagination!

https://www.youtube.com/v/__vFsfmAxzg
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Reich: Six Pianos

This is my first time to hear this work. I knew from very early on that it simply was not for me. But I stuck with it and heard it out. However, I will never get those twenty five minutes back! The next time that I listen to this work is when I am, or someone else in the house [within one meter of me] is using our very loud vacuum cleaner!  :laugh:

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2021, 01:44:38 PM
Clearly! :)
You can also hear Enescu playing the piano part to the work here 8)
https://www.youtube.com/v/oadbbLz-5lY

Thread-duty

Mr De Sainte Colombe
Les Six Suittes pour basse de Viole seule
Savall

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: aligreto on July 24, 2021, 01:29:22 PM
Reich: Six Pianos

This is my first time to hear this work. I knew from very early on that it simply was not for me. But I stuck with it and heard it out. However, I will never get those twenty five minutes back! The next time that I listen to this work is when I am, or someone else in the house [within one meter of me] is using our very loud vacuum cleaner!  :laugh:

That was my experience with Music for 18 Musicians. It was passable till the first few minutes, but as it progressed it became tiresome and repetitive. I think I prefer Glass to him.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on July 24, 2021, 11:19:36 AM
I'll give it a listen.

I like the ordinaries very much. I will listen to the whole thing tomorrow with more attention.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 24, 2021, 01:54:16 PM
That was my experience with Music for 18 Musicians. It was passable till the first few minutes, but as it progressed it became tiresome and repetitive. I think I prefer Glass to him.

Yes, I would most definitely agree with you there.

Symphonic Addict

Bax: The Tale the Pine-Trees Knew
Balakirev: Overture on Three Russian Themes

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Artem

Carlo Gesualdo

OK let's be serious for a moment  shawl we, there a time for everything and now I am serious I neglected the French renaissance composer shame on me, because I had problem whit some french a couple of year ago, when I heard a Français talk I was like grrr French do you won't grey poupon mustard, just kidding, and later on discover the music of Lalande ''Les Grand Motets'' which I like to death, and the 3 volume of Lully grand motets, which I adore, please I need more info on french renaissance composers, since the French are cousin of us in a way in a strange way,and it's not true all french are means I was wrong , so there you have it, I really like Jean Guyot and his Jacques Arcadelt a Belgium Walloon or a french, perhaps a french , what about good old French protestant we all love Claude Goudimel, I will listen to this tonight, what about the fabulous work of Le Jeune or L'estocart, whit awesome ensemble Ludus modalis, or Costeley Microtonal  music, I was wrong French deserve a chance ,forgive me  France.  8)

I searching for something that most existed a french madrigalist, everything exist before and after so I want to know very obscure composer of renaissance France, no one know outside  few's french musicologists, those no one heard about.

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 24, 2021, 01:50:54 PM
You can also hear Enescu playing the piano part to the work here 8)
https://www.youtube.com/v/oadbbLz-5lY

Nice, will listen soon!

Now, though: listening to this again

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 23, 2021, 02:00:41 PM
Theo Leovendie
Cto for Pf & Orch
Ronald Brautigam, pf
Riccardo Chailly

Ine of my favorites in the box of those pieces previously unknown to me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Sancta Civitas. Richard Hickox, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Round two with this, having last heard it Wednesday morning. For a curmudgeonly atheist, RVW sure was a brilliant, convincing composer of sacred music, no? It's a fine piece from a composer I often admire more than enjoy, and the work is quite highly regarded by some GMGers, if I'm not mistaken.

vers la flamme

Charles Villiers Stanford: Songs of the Sea, op.91. Benjamin Luxon, Norman Del Mar, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

bhodges

Scriabin: Symphony No. 1 (Yevgeny Svetlanov / Larisa Avdeyeva / Anton Grigoriev / Yurlov Russian Choir / USSR State Symphony Orchestra) - The recording with Muti and Philadelphia has enthralled me for years. Am happy to report an equally enthralling experience here.

At first listen, Svetlanov and the orchestra conjure up a great deal of Hollywood glamour, slightly less sensual than Muti, with more "look at me, I'm Scriabin" brashness. Love the unique sound of the ensemble, and the 1963 (?) sound quality is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdT3eR1trM

--Bruce

SimonNZ

Mirror Image

NP:

Bernstein
Chichester Psalms
The Camerata Singers
New York Philharmonic Orchestra
Bernstein

Such a fantastic work.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on July 24, 2021, 05:09:54 PM
Scriabin: Symphony No. 1 (Yevgeny Svetlanov / Larisa Avdeyeva / Anton Grigoriev / Yurlov Russian Choir / USSR State Symphony Orchestra) - The recording with Muti and Philadelphia has enthralled me for years. Am happy to report an equally enthralling experience here.

At first listen, Svetlanov and the orchestra conjure up a great deal of Hollywood glamour, slightly less sensual than Muti, with more "look at me, I'm Scriabin" brashness. Love the unique sound of the ensemble, and the 1963 (?) sound quality is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdT3eR1trM

--Bruce

I think that was the recording I heard the other day. Absolutely glorious work.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Brahms: Clarinet Quintet

I felt the need to hear a work that suited my mood at this moment. Nothing better than Brahms's incredibly poetic and melancholy masterpiece. The recording and performance are outstanding as well.

Noam Chomsky

SimonNZ