What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Brian on July 26, 2021, 10:11:40 AM
Tried Haydn 29 on Sarge's recommendation. Wow, that trio is REALLY weird!

To me, Eric Heidsieck and Germain Thyssens-Valentin are the only Fauré pianists...everyone else might as well give up.

David Matthews' Symphony No. 9, a real masterpiece that, like Martinu's Fourth, starts with pastoral simplicity and leads to heroic force, while, like Shostakovich's Ninth, is built in five movements. Of course, it sounds nothing at all like either of those composers. Totally original and fabulous. Composed 2016.

Tempting.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Walter Piston: 2nd Symphony.

Great stuff full of surprises, not least when unexpectedly a jazz band marches across the first movement!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 26, 2021, 01:44:37 PM
How's the fidelity of this box, Jan?

It sounds very good, the performances are top notch. The recordings date from 1963/64 but sound surprisingly good.    :)

Que

On Spotify:

PS This started off very well, I like the detailed playing, phrasing, etc. But Guglielmi's approach is very steady and restrained, low on tension and sparkle. The result is a well played but rather dark and gloomy WTC.

aligreto

Couperin, F: Deuxième Livre de Pieces de Clavecin [Rousset]

CD 1: L'Art de toucher le clavecin & Sixieme et Septieme Ordres

Traverso

The new erato

Quote from: Irons on July 26, 2021, 11:22:54 PM
Walter Piston: 2nd Symphony.

Great stuff full of surprises, not least when unexpectedly a jazz band marches across the first movement!
And the Schuman concerto on this disc (which I have on LP from way long ago) is also great!

amw

Quote from: Brian on July 26, 2021, 08:29:41 PM
I also paid about US $70 for the Big Heidsieck Box.
That's about $100 of our money, so travelling to America will incur slight savings. Having it shipped from there obviously will not. I'll examine the Fauré and maybe some Beethoven sonatas and make a decision eventually.

Karl Henning

To me, Eric Heidsieck and Germain Thyssens-Valentin are the only Fauré pianists...everyone else might as well give up.

David Matthews' Symphony No. 9, a real masterpiece that, like Martinu's Fourth, starts with pastoral simplicity and leads to heroic force, while, like Shostakovich's Ninth, is built in five movements. Of course, it sounds nothing at all like either of those composers. Totally original and fabulous. Composed 2016.

Listening to the Matthews now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Albéric Magnard
Symphony 1 in c minor, op. 4
Symphony 2 in E Major, op. 6

BBC Scottish SO - Jean-Yves Ossonce

I find Magnard more complex than Chausson's Symphony yesterday.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 26, 2021, 07:37:34 AM
Bach - BWV 178 - 'Wo Gott der Herr nicht bei uns halt'
Cantatas for the Eighth Sunday after Trinity

Gardiner's & Kuijken's versions

Continuing with BWV 178.
Played Harnoncourt earlier. Now, playing Kuijken again.

Olivier

Traverso

Prokofiev

A ballet in four acts

BBC Philharmonic  Gianandrea Noseda

Irons

Quote from: The new erato on July 27, 2021, 01:30:30 AM
And the Schuman concerto on this disc (which I have on LP from way long ago) is also great!

Next to listen. I also have a Naxos CD (Philippe Quint) of the Schuman concerto.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Irons on July 27, 2021, 03:27:15 AM
Next to listen. I also have a Naxos CD (Philippe Quint) of the Schuman concerto.

Very good, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

John Robertson
Symphonies 4 & 5
Meditation In Flanders Fields
Bratislava SO

This is a surprisingly good release by a NZ composer unknown to me. Symphony 4 is bright and colourful and somewhat pastoral in nature, with a great closing movement. Tonal, neo-classical, listenable. I'll get to know this composer more, I think, as all 5 symphonies are now available. Reviews suggest that he is growing as a composer, and that 4 & 5 reflect a greater facility than in his earlier works, which I haven't yet prodded.

Didn't like the Meditation, as the simultaneous poetry reading seemed annoyingly intrusive. Perhaps leaving the readings at the head of the piece would have been better, as the music is actually more pleasant than the combination suggests.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

premont

Quote from: Que on July 27, 2021, 01:05:20 AM
On Spotify:

PS This started off very well, I like the detailed playing, phrasing, etc. But Guglielmi's approach is very steady and restrained, low on tension and sparkle. The result is a well played but rather dark and gloomy WTC.

Guglielmi was never really my man, so I have passed this by. I look more forward to this:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8936355--bach-das-wohltemperierte-clavier-i
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Haydn Trio XV29 (No 45) or Trio No 29 (XV15)?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Well, yes...  :D

Following our spectacular, standard-setting complete recording of Telemann's wind concertos on eight albums, we are now concluding our second significant Telemann edition with its Vol. 6, which features his concertos for mixed ensemble and transports us to the very heart (and soul) of his oeuvre. Here his oft-cited "mixed style" is fully revealed in all its colorfulness. klassik.com wrote, "Performed with the greatest variety and magic. A new Telemann series promising to bring superb musical high points and true moments of joy." And the sixth release again offers surprises and shows "that Telemann's oeuvre is too multifaceted, too stylistically diversified, too rich in various textures, and too complex in its blend of various generic, stylistic, and formal traditions for one to be able to sum up his concerto thought in a couple of short statements. The present complete recording documents for the first time the absolutely inexhaustible wealth of his powers of design in the instrumental concerto in all the transmitted playing styles and facets; if this recording is able to serve not only as an introduction but also and more so as a source of sensuous attraction to the beauties of this absolutely unique sound world, then its highest goal will have been met" (Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Hirschmann, booklet author).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: amw on July 26, 2021, 11:49:55 AM
He did record the Barcarolles for Cassiopée (along with e.g. the Bach Partitas, Handel, etc) although the recording is obviously now out of print. Not sure who would own the copyright for those recordings and thus be able to reissue them at this point.

That took some effort to find even knowing it exists. That is desperately out of print. :(

Letting everything go out of print without selling the rights seems to be a national characteristic of French record labels.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington