What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

pi2000

Rubinstein in Bucharest 1964
All Chopin

[asin]B00VB4RSMM[/asin]

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on July 28, 2021, 02:35:44 AM
La Notte is very good there, from what I remember.

Your memory is good and it was the main reason for repurchasing the CD I once had as an LP.

Papy Oli

A few Goldberg Variations by Pinnock.

Olivier

Traverso

Biber-Schmelzer & Walther

Lucy van Dael- Wouter Möller & Bob van Asperen

foxandpeng

Dmitri Shostakovich
The Complete Symphonies
Symphony #4
Vasily Petrenko
Naxos

Some symphonies are harder than others.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Traverso

Enescu

The opera Oedipe

With a libretto (176 pages) this is an edition from other times, it seems that press work is more expensive than making a disc.

Madiel

A conversation on another thread reminded me that I had once intended to listen to as much Ballet Russes music as I could get my hands on. Now much easier when I have Primephonic.

So here is their very first production (though the music was not brand new when they opened in Paris).

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

ritter

Quote from: Traverso on July 28, 2021, 03:50:53 AM
Enescu

The opera Oedipe

With a libretto (176 pages) this is an edition from other times, it seems that press work is more expensive than making a disc.

Are you enjoying it, Jan? I absolutely adore this work (along with most of Enesco's mature compositions).

Regards,

Traverso

Quote from: ritter on July 28, 2021, 04:12:03 AM
Are you enjoying it, Jan? I absolutely adore this work (along with most of Enesco's mature compositions).

Regards,

Hi Rafael,it is really a discovery ,I feel a instant connection,I sympathize with you in adoration of this lovely work.
I'm glad I found this edition. It certainly deserves more attention.  :)

Madiel

Listening to a dash of Borodin's Polovtsian Dances, because that's the other thing that the Ballet Russes had at their Paris premiere.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on July 28, 2021, 03:51:14 AM
A conversation on another thread reminded me that I had once intended to listen to as much Ballet Russes music as I could get my hands on. Now much easier when I have Primephonic.

So here is their very first production (though the music was not brand new when they opened in Paris).

My impression of this is that it was nice, but that Tcherepnin's later contribution Narcisse et Echo was way cooler. Someone was asking how I liked the CPO recording of that...sorry to not reply earlier but: loved it!

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on July 28, 2021, 05:12:14 AM
My impression of this is that it was nice, but that Tcherepnin's later contribution Narcisse et Echo was way cooler. Someone was asking how I liked the CPO recording of that...sorry to not reply earlier but: loved it!

I will definitely get around to trying Narcisse later on.

He was also the conductor for several of the early seasons, so a super important part of establishing the Ballet Russes.

Papy Oli

First listen to Dag Wiren's 4th Symphony.

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Irons on July 27, 2021, 11:26:56 PM
Ina Boyle: Sleep Song.

Shamefully neglected, one and half CD worth and little else. Any admirer of the composer has to be content with scraps. This scrap is lovely.

https://youtu.be/QBFdkuO2ABU

Lovely indeed. Thanks for posting the link. Listening to her First Symphony now.

https://www.youtube.com/v/P_n34JV5aGA

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jules Massenet, Bacchus.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Madiel on July 28, 2021, 03:51:14 AM

Nice disc!

pi2000

Enescu

The opera Oedipe

I believe still the best! You may enjoy also:
https://www.amazon.fr/Oedipe-George-Enescu/dp/B07P9S4696/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=enescu+oedipe&qid=1627482007&s=music&sr=1-8

Mirror Image

Enescu

The opera Oedipe

Thumbs ups! 8)