What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng, Mookalafalas and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 3 in D minor
Marjorie Thomas, contralto
Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Der Tölzer Knabenchor
Kubelik

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 28, 2021, 09:37:14 AM
NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 3 in D minor
Marjorie Thomas, contralto
Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Der Tölzer Knabenchor
Kubelik

Oh, I haven't listened to any Mahler for quite a while, and although I have that particular recording, I've actually never listened to it. Sometime soon, perhaps. How are you finding it?

And good day to you, John.

TD:

First listen to the Debussy Études played by Florent Boffard, from this new arrival:

I had high expectations, as Boffard's latest release (Beethoven, Berg, Boulez) really impressed me. Alas, this early recording (it's from 1985, and probably the pianist's recording debut) left me cold. This is very "percussive" Debussy playing (not necessarily a bad thing in my book, but not to this extreme), and the changes in dynamics  sometimes appear exaggerated. The music loses a sense of poetry and of natural flow as a result.  I don't see myself returning often to this recording of a work that's a favourite of mine.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on July 28, 2021, 10:30:43 AM
Oh, I haven't listened to any Mahler for quite a while, and although I have that particular recording, I've actually never listened to it. Sometime soon, perhaps. How are you finding it?

And good day to you, John.

TD:

First listen to the Debussy Études played by Florent Boffard, from this new arrival:

I had high expectations, as Boffard's latest release (Beethoven, Berg, Boulez) really impressed me. Alas, this early recording (it's from 1985, and probably the pianist's recording debut) left me cold. This is very "percussive" Debussy playing (not necessarily a bad thing in my book, but not to this extreme), and the changes in dynamics  sometimes appear exaggerated. The music loses a sense of poetry and of natural flow as a result.  I don't see myself returning often to this recording of a work that's a favourite of mine.

Good day to you, Rafael. This Mahler is quite good, although it doesn't displace favorites like Bernstein (Columbia & DG), Tennstedt (ICA Classics), Haitink (Concertgebouw/Philips) or Abbado (both studio and the later live recordings). Kubelik does have a natural feel for this music without a doubt. I read his Audite live performances are even better, so perhaps I need to give those a spin at some juncture (my dad owns these recordings).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on July 28, 2021, 08:39:43 AM
What a great program these three make! I'm particularly fond of the last two; wonderful to have terrific live performances of both.

--Bruce

Fabulous!

TD:

https://www.youtube.com/v/y6iOp5tsiQA
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Great disc.  I was certainly skeptical at first -- author of hundreds of works toiling away in obscurity... -- but this is excellent.

Before that

Cypriani Potter: Piano Concerto No. 2

Very charming early Romantic concerto.

Mirror Image

Now playing from the Berlioz Warner set:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on July 28, 2021, 11:23:29 AM

Great disc.  I was certainly skeptical at first -- author of hundreds of works toiling away in obscurity... -- but this is excellent.

Very interesting, thanks.
Signed, A composer toiling in obscurity 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

Happy birthday, Rued!!!

Variations on Mig hjertelig nu laenges, BVN 71
Sfinx - Tone poem, BVN 37

I can't believe that I hadn't heard the work for string quartet but till today. Totally exquisite music.

Sfinx is a short but effective tone poem, and shows the composer as an expert orchestrator.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Now playing Act I from Davis' Les Troyens recording:

ritter

Two compositions with the same title, Le Cortège d'Amphitrite, inspired by the Albert Samain's poem, in succession:

Philippe Gaubert's orchestral piece is very much in the French "marine" style of its time (1910), which is perfectly fitting, as in Greek mythology Amphitrite was a Nereid (or Oceanid). and Poseidon's wife. Very enjoyable, I must say (and much better than the piece I actually bought this CD for, the diptych Au Pays Basque, which is a bit too picture-postcard for my taste).

Le Cortège... is the second movement of Koechlin's purely orchestral Études antiques, op. 46. It's inclusion in this disc of orchestral songs seems to be justified by the fact that the material is based on a song (with piano) that the composer had composed earlier. Be that as it may, the good impression this triptych made on me when I first heard it sometime ago, is now confirmed. Lovely piece.

The poem by Salmain is delightful, and this "thematic" listening reminds me of Raoul Dufy's depiction of Amphitrite:

A huge oil on canvas (one of several paintings on the same theme)

An etching made by Dufy based on the paintings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on July 28, 2021, 01:24:12 PM
Two compositions with the same title, Le Cortège d'Amphitrite, inspired by the Albert Samain's poem, in succession:

Philippe Gaubert's orchestral piece is very much in the French "marine" style of its time (1910), which is perfectly fitting, as in Greek mythology Amphitrite was a Nereid (or Oceanid). and Poseidon's wife. Very enjoyable, I must say (and much better than the piece I actually bought this CD for, the diptych Au Pays Basque, which is a bit too picture-postcard for my taste).

Le Cortège... is the second movement of Koechlin's purely orchestral Études antiques, op. 46. It's inclusion in this disc of orchestral songs seems to be justified by the fact that the material is based on a song (with piano) that the composer had composed earlier. Be that as it may, the good impression this triptych made on me when I first heard it sometime ago, is now confirmed. Lovely piece.

The poem by Salmain is delightful, and this "thematic" listening reminds me of Raoul Dufy's depiction of Amphitrite:

A huge oil on canvas (one of several paintings on the same theme)

An etching made by Dufy based on the paintings.

Thumbs up for the Koechlin, Rafael. He's one of my favorite composers. Such an oddball, but I love him anyway.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Quote from: pi2000 on July 28, 2021, 06:27:22 AM
I believe still the best! You may enjoy also:
https://www.amazon.fr/Oedipe-George-Enescu/dp/B07P9S4696/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=enescu+oedipe&qid=1627482007&s=music&sr=1-8

Thank for your advice,you have no Idea ,I still have rivers to swallow,another recording is not likely. :)
However,this opera  is real a surprise

VonStupp

Darius Milhaud
Pacem in Terris, op. 404
L'Homme et son désir, op. 48

Utah SO - Maurice Abravanel

A crunchy, not very likeable choral symphony. Even the dense Latin text is not very approachable. Pass!

Désir is better under Abravanel than the one I heard on Naxos. All the humidity is here, with a lot of fun percussion features and sung ululations.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

NP:

Fagerlund
Bassoon Concerto, "Mana"
Bram van Sambeek, bassoon
Lahti Symphony Orchestra
Okko Kamu

Aho
Bassoon Concerto
Bram van Sambeek
Lahti Symphony Orchestra
Dima Slobodeniouk

I listened to about 13 minutes or so of the Fagerlund and turned it off. Terrible. I have no desire of ever hearing that work again. My problem with it is it's trying too hard and sounds forced. There's also just no musical meat in the work to latch onto. The writing for the bassoon is impressive, but I'm more concerned about a musical narrative and this work didn't have one. The Aho, on the other hand, is excellent, which I've come to expect. Not very often does this composer disappoint, but I'll say right now that I don't think either one of his Piano Concertos are good and have actually enjoyed all of the wind concerti I've heard so far (ones for oboe, flute, clarinet, soprano saxophone, contrabassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, but also the oddball ones like the theremin and double bass). I do recall enjoying the Viola Concerto as well.