Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1499546 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #46140 on: July 31, 2021, 05:41:28 PM »
String Quartet No. 3

Eklund's characteristic acerbic style is pretty well conveyed in this emphatic quartet.

Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #46141 on: July 31, 2021, 05:48:05 PM »
I rather admire the first movement of the 6th, just because it's always felt like one of those truly 'symphonic' things where the music unfolds with such logic. The opening 3 notes set it up.

This work combines that sort of unhurried organic development in the 1st movement with the muscular vigour and sharp rhythms in the 2nd movement pretty succesfully. If anyone can't get this work, they're not catching part of the essence of the composer IMO.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century up to the 21st Century
« Reply #46142 on: July 31, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »
This work combines that sort of unhurried organic development in the 1st movement with the muscular vigour and sharp rhythms in the 2nd movement pretty succesfully. If anyone can't get this work, they're not catching part of the essence of the composer IMO.

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. One doesn’t have to understand a note of the 6th in order to understand the composer. He wrote a lot of music besides symphonies.
“My music is best understood by children and animals.” - Igor Stravinsky

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46143 on: July 31, 2021, 06:00:34 PM »
NP:

Martinů
Symphony No. 5, H. 310
CzPO
Neumann

The 5th has always been the problematic symphony for me in Martinů’s cycle, but Neumann and Ančerl more than any others has brought me closer to understanding it and, most of all, enjoying it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46144 on: July 31, 2021, 06:06:04 PM »
Time to see how a countertenor does in Nuits d'ete.

Certainly not a bad performance, at least.

I’ll always prefer either a soprano or mezzo in Les nuits d'été, but that’s just the way I’m accustomed to hearing it with the exception of the Colin Davis Philips recording, which uses a multi-singer configuration, which isn’t a ‘bad’ performance, but not a favorite.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #46145 on: July 31, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
I’m not sure I agree with this statement. One doesn’t have to understand a note of the 6th in order to understand the composer. He wrote a lot of music besides symphonies.

But the other day you didn't say the same about Sibelius's 4th Symphony.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:19:35 PM by Symphonic Addict »

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46146 on: July 31, 2021, 06:25:26 PM »
But the other day you didn't say the same about Sibelius's 4th Symphony.  ;)

I did, indeed, but looking back on it --- I shouldn't have wrote it. :)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #46147 on: July 31, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »
I’ll always prefer either a soprano or mezzo in Les nuits d'été, but that’s just the way I’m accustomed to hearing it with the exception of the Colin Davis Philips recording, which uses a multi-singer configuration, which isn’t a ‘bad’ performance, but not a favorite.

Having finished the CD, I think I can say he did a fine job with the Berlioz, but the Ravel and Faure melodies were a bit tedious. Fortunately the last track is a strong performance of Faure's Elegie.  But this is one of those CDs made for streaming, Unless like me you can find a copy for $1.50.

TD

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46148 on: July 31, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
I rather admire the first movement of the 6th, just because it's always felt like one of those truly 'symphonic' things where the music unfolds with such logic. The opening 3 notes set it up.

Of course one must be in the right mood for Holmboean logic (just as I think one must be in the right mood for just about any kind of music).

Yeah, I’ll keep trying with Holmboe’s symphonies, but I have to tell you that I prefer the SQs, concerti, Chamber Concertos, etc.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #46149 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:42 PM »
Symphony No. 1

Ultra-romantic approach to this masterpiece. I feel the first three movements like unmistakably Sibelian, but the 4th does have something of Tchaikovsky. I can't get enough of this work.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:50:08 PM by Symphonic Addict »

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46150 on: July 31, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »
NP:

Piston
The Incredible Flutist Suite
Seattle Symphony
Schwarz

A work that should be on more American concert programs, but, oh wait...they’re too busy trying to fill seats by playing Beethoven for the kazillionth time. ::)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46151 on: July 31, 2021, 06:58:03 PM »
Symphony No. 1

Ultra-romantic approach to this masterpiece. I feel the first three movements like unmistakably Sibelian, but the 4th does have something of Tchaikovsky. I can't get enough of this work.

Pounds the table! And Barbirolli’s interpretation is superb.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #46152 on: July 31, 2021, 07:01:30 PM »
I did, indeed, but looking back on it --- I shouldn't have wrote it. :)

I agree with your current incarnation rather than your previous one...

It's interesting that you connect with Holmboe's string quartets more than his symphonies, because for a lot of people it seems to be the other way around (can we talk about "a lot of people" when referring to a not-that-well-known Danish 20th century composer?).

My sympathies swing a bit. I still find with Holmboe that I frequently have to listen to a piece a couple of times when I return to it before I remember what I got out of it previously. He is such a tricky composer to grasp in my view.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #46153 on: July 31, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »
Respighi: Feste Romane (Antonio Pappano / Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, live Jan. 23, 2007) - Just uploaded in December 2020, a live performance that captures all the exuberance. I love all three of the composer's great tone poems, but as the years go by, this one has claimed the top spot, for its orchestration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xss9poiICXQ

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46154 on: July 31, 2021, 07:07:32 PM »
I agree with your current incarnation rather than your previous one...

It's interesting that you connect with Holmboe's string quartets more than his symphonies, because for a lot of people it seems to be the other way around (can we talk about "a lot of people" when referring to a not-that-well-known Danish 20th century composer?).

My sympathies swing a bit. I still find with Holmboe that I frequently have to listen to a piece a couple of times when I return to it before I remember what I got out of it previously. He is such a tricky composer to grasp in my view.

Well, I enjoyed the later SQs, I don’t remember much about the earlier ones. Yes, repeat listenings is definitely beneficial I think for Holmboe, although, sometimes, they don’t always help, which is where I’m at with the symphonies right now. He’s just not a composer I ‘reach for’ when I want to hear some Nordic music. Sibelius and Nielsen, on the other hand, are my go-to Nordic composers, although I do quite like Atterberg and enjoy a good bit of Stenhammar, Nystroem and Rangström that I’ve heard. In terms of more contemporary music from the northlands, Aho is becoming a favorite.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #46155 on: July 31, 2021, 07:33:14 PM »
Pounds the table! And Barbirolli’s interpretation is superb.

Certainly. I hadn't heard the harp as prominent as in this glorious rendition and recording.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:43:34 PM by Symphonic Addict »

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46156 on: July 31, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »
Certainly. I haven't heard the harp as prominent as in this glorious rendition and recording.

Damn, you’re making me want to revisit his entire cycle!

(I’ll probably end up doing this when off next week along with revisiting Tennstedt’s Mahler recordings, which are a scattered mess in terms of his discography.)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #46157 on: July 31, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »
Symphony No. 9

Yet another symphony in E minor tonight. Sounds very late-Romantic in Stokowski's hands, and the kind-of-old sound provides a raw atmosphere that suits the mysterious nature of the piece. Impressive. My favorite VW symphony.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46158 on: July 31, 2021, 07:52:49 PM »
Symphony No. 9

Yet another symphony in E minor tonight. Sounds very late-Romantic in Stokowski's hands, and the kind-of-old sound provides a raw atmosphere that suits the mysterious nature of the piece. Impressive. My favorite VW symphony.

The 9th is your favorite RVW symphony? Wow...I’ll have to give it another listen. I do enjoy it, but I never listen to it for whatever reason.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #46159 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:27 PM »
Last work of the night:

Vaughan Williams
Variations for Brass Band
Royal College of Music Brass Band