What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, AnotherSpin and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Szymanowski, Piano Sonata No.3

The dedicated Szymanowski website has disappeared...

EDIT: Intoxicating stuff.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Szymanowski, Demeter

It seems that no-one has done a commercial recording of the completions of Agawe, the intended companion piece. The only evidence of a recording I can find is a couple of dead links from 2007 right here on this forum.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Britten

I can say that this Britten box is one of my best purchases this year. I appreciate his musical idiom and the way he works out his ideas. His orchestrations are also very attractive. His music is also characterized by a certain refinement and when you listen you hear  someone who has something to say. Britten is more than a beautiful exterior that is obvious.

Sinfonia da Requiem
Four Sea Interludes and Passacaglia from 'Peter Grimes'
The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Libor Pešek

Madiel

Szymanowski, String Quartet No.1 (1.5 times as I switched versions partway through, and it turns out at least one reviewer wasn't happy with the first offering either)

Que

Iota

Quote from: Traverso on July 31, 2021, 02:47:48 AM

Quite right,I just listened to Young Apollo

Young Apollo
Peter Donohoe piano , Felix Kok,Jeremy Ballard violins
Peter Cole viola - Michael Kaznowsky cello
City of Birmingham Orchestra / Simon Rattle

Nice, such a radiant piece!

Here:

Schumann:
Introduction & Allegro Appasionato, Op.92
Introduction and Concert Allegro, Op.134

Neither of these lovely works seem to get much of an airing, but are full of Schumann's characteristic tenderness and bounding energy. Executed splendidly with verve and sensitivity on this 1979 disc by Ashkenazy and Segal.

vandermolen

Quote from: Traverso on August 01, 2021, 03:23:52 AM
Britten

I can say that this Britten box is one of my best purchases this year. I appreciate his musical idiom and the way he works out his ideas. His orchestrations are also very attractive. His music is also characterized by a certain refinement and when you listen you hear  someone who has something to say. Britten is more than a beautiful exterior that is obvious.

Sinfonia da Requiem

Looks like a great set Jan. I rate those Pesek performances very highly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Iota

Quote from: Traverso on August 01, 2021, 03:23:52 AM
Britten

Sinfonia da Requiem

+1 to the bolded.

Traverso

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2021, 04:17:43 AM
Looks like a great set Jan. I rate those Pesek performances very highly.

It really looks like that Jeffrey, I'm just at the beginning of this voluminous set but it looks very promising. :)
Luckily I found  this new set for a "friendly" price. I think it's sold out at the moment. There has also been a Warner edition.
I also went looking for an Elgar box from the same "collectors edition".( not found yet for an acceptable price)
Shipping costs and custom tax sometimes double the purchase,I think we all share the same complaints about this.

Harry

Marin Marais.

Pieces a une et Deux Violes, premier Livre (1686)
Disc IV.

Suite en re mineur, en la majeur.

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass viol.
L'Acheron.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Stürmisch Bewegt

It's hot, it's humid, I'm gonna chill with the Winterreise :  (BTW: wasn't use of the Leiermann genius in In Bruges?, one of my favorite films) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOoWWjgzfZg

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Harry

Marin Marais.

Pieces a une et Deux Violes, premier Livre (1686)
Disc V.

Suite en re mineur, en re majeur.

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass viol.
L'Acheron.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

NP:

Villa-Lobos
Quintet, W 538
Mobius

Such a gorgeous work.

vandermolen

Quote from: Traverso on August 01, 2021, 04:46:16 AM
It really looks like that Jeffrey, I'm just at the beginning of this voluminous set but it looks very promising. :)
Luckily I found  this new set for a "friendly" price. I think it's sold out at the moment. There has also been a Warner edition.
I also went looking for an Elgar box from the same "collectors edition".( not found yet for an acceptable price)
Shipping costs and custom tax sometimes double the purchase,I think we all share the same complaints about this.
Yes, that's true Jan - I've been listening to the single disc of those works (Virgin label) in my car recently and enjoying them.

TD

Saygun: Symphony No.4
I'm grateful for the recent discussion on the forum about this disc. I've always liked Symphony No.1 but, although I bought No.4 when it was first released, I hadn't made much of it before; it's really good, reminding me at times of Shostakovich, Khrennikov's 2nd Symphony and Roussell:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Britten

Simple Symphony

Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge

Prelude and Fugue

Lachrymae

Det Norske Kammerorkester, Iona Brown

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on August 01, 2021, 07:25:44 AM
Britten

Simple Symphony

Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge

Prelude and Fugue

Lachrymae

Det Norske Kammerorkester, Iona Brown

Excellent!

For myself, high time I waded into this box:

CD 1
Le sacre du printemps
NY Phil
the composer conducting
Carnegie Hall 4 Apr 40
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 31, 2021, 11:49:30 PM
You're right: natural horn recordings do not exactly grow on trees...
But the cpo wind concertos series is on period instruments. I checked, and the horn concerto TWV 51 I mentioned is on volume 7 and played by Jörg Schulteß(ss). It's pretty safe to assume that he plays the natural horn, since he teaches it.

The entire series is available on Spotity.

Quote from: Que on August 01, 2021, 03:49:39 AM

Hi Que - I've owned that 8-CD box in the middle above for years; just checking there are 3 works (51:D7 & D8; and 52:D1) of 5 on the Kuijken disc in that box and assume on 'natural' horns - BTW, I ordered the 'Grand Concertos' 6-CD box from JPC yesterday, just 25 Euros.  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 01, 2021, 07:48:25 AM
Hi Que - I've owned that 8-CD box in the middle above for years; just checking there are 3 works (51:D7 & D8; and 52:D1) of 5 on the Kuijken disc in that box and assume on 'natural' horns - BTW, I ordered the 'Grand Concertos' 6-CD box from JPC yesterday, just 25 Euros.  Dave :)

Niiiicce!  :)  And tempting...  ::)

I really liked the performances, enjoy!  :)

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Traverso on August 01, 2021, 07:25:44 AM
Britten

Most excellent cover choice, I think, with its wink at the Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes and, of course, Billy Budd.
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.