What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on August 02, 2021, 06:08:51 AM
Which recording, Cesar? I can't see the image.

It's this:

Stokowski conducting the New Philharmonia Orchestra. The 1st movement is quite striking in that fast tempo.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2021, 06:27:18 AM
NP:

Eshpai
Concerto for Orchestra with Solo Trumpet, Piano, Vibraphone & Double Bass (Concerto Grosso)
USSR State SO
Svetlanov

Such a cool work! It starts off sounding like something from Gershwin (but mixed with more hysteria) and then settles into a mournful slower section that is quite beautiful.

Ohh, I have to hear this!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Grainger, Percy (1882-1961) - Rambles and Reflections w/ Piers Lane (transcriptions) & Piano Music w/ Marc-André Hamelin; own 4 other discs of his music and after 5+ years re-activated the Grainger Thread and posted those recordings there - if interested, take a look at the link.  Dave :)

Symphonic Addict

Nørgård: Symphony No. 3

This is a much more superior performance to that under Segerstam. This work would be perfect to hear it under LSD effects.  8)

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 02, 2021, 10:51:18 AM
Nørgård: Symphony No. 3

This is a much more superior performance to that under Segerstam. This work would be perfect to hear it under LSD effects.  8)

Damn right! I love this symphony, Cesar. I also find it better than Segerstam's plodding performance.

Iota

Britten: Piano Concerto, Op.13

Joanna MacGregor, Steuart Bedford, ECO

Full of youthful optimism (comp.1938)and diverse influences, Prokofiev presence seems very tangible at times, and illuminated by myriad sparks of BB's natural orchestrational flair.
Its often un-ironic optimism is almost entirely absent from later Britten, though can be heard in Diversions and Young Apollo composed in the following two years, which are both works I find more engaging than the piano concerto in truth. That's not to say that I don't enjoy many things about the concerto.

Britten premiered it himself at the Proms, which I thought I might mention as, 83 years later the very same Proms have just kicked off again here in the UK - non-social distancing audiences and all!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 02, 2021, 10:48:53 AM
Ohh, I have to hear this!

Yeah, it's right up your alley. You'll dig I'm sure.

Que

André

This is better than I remembered from its LP incarnation. Back then Pollini's tone seemed to have a brittle quality to it and Böhm's conducting a touch of impatience. It doesn't sound like that at all now. While some tempi are brisk, the whole reading sounds spacious and very poetic. I only wish the horns had been caught with more presence. Their low notes are more felt than heard. All told, a very fine version.

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2021, 10:10:25 AM
Nay, it seems 1940 is the earliest vintage here ....

That's an oddity. The Warner box credits say they were issued by Columbia, but the copyright dates from the pertinent years list Erato/Parlophone as copyright holder.

So they ought to qualify as Columbia albums. But perhaps the rights were tangled up. I see some of them were issued on CD, partly by EMI but not all.

Asin links for the listings (I know no image will show)
[Asin]B000001ZDQ[/asin]
[Asin]B00000DNRR[/asin]

In some of these Stravinsky is pianist, not conductor, including Capriccio.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 02, 2021, 10:42:45 AM
Glad you also enjoyed it. A work full of suggestive harmonies.

Have you heard the 2nd String Quartet? I sat in open-mouthed astonishment at the originality. A truly great string quartet.

Started my Szymanowski listening session with the Symphonie Concertante (Symphony No.4) which in all intents and purposes is a Piano Concerto (played by Piotr Paleczny). Typical of the composer to think outside of the box but this is mostly a joyful and approachable work. Written in the same period as the SQ above when Szymanowski was in a bad way health-wise although there is no clue to this in either work. Enjoyable, but didn't have the stunning effect on me of the string quartet.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 02, 2021, 10:47:05 AM
The three Hindemith sonatas
Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2021, 10:48:07 AM
I dig those Hindemith Piano Sonatas.
I was listening to that same disc just a couple of days ago, and very much liked what I heard (the works were new to me).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on August 02, 2021, 01:24:37 PM
I was listening to that same disc just a couple of days ago, and very much liked what I heard (the works were new to me).

Nice! The only recording I own of them is the MD&G recording with Kalle Randalu.

ritter

Quote from: JBS on August 02, 2021, 11:51:43 AM
That's an oddity. The Warner box credits say they were issued by Columbia, but the copyright dates from the pertinent years list Erato/Parlophone as copyright holder.

So they ought to qualify as Columbia albums. But perhaps the rights were tangled up. I see some of them were issued on CD, partly by EMI but not all.

Asin links for the listings (I know no image will show)
[Asin]B000001ZDQ[/asin]
[Asin]B00000DNRR[/asin]

In some of these Stravinsky is pianist, not conductor, including Capriccio.
AFAIK, those prewar Stravinsky recordings are included in the recent Warner box (I don't have it, and don't plan to get it)...

On CDs 20 to 23 ("Historical Recordings")

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on August 02, 2021, 01:18:52 PM
Have you heard the 2nd String Quartet? I sat in open-mouthed astonishment at the originality. A truly great string quartet.

Started my Szymanowski listening session with the Symphonie Concertante (Symphony No.4) which in all intents and purposes is a Piano Concerto (played by Piotr Paleczny). Typical of the composer to think outside of the box but this is mostly a joyful and approachable work. Written in the same period as the SQ above when Szymanowski was in a bad way health-wise although there is no clue to this in either work. Enjoyable, but didn't have the stunning effect on me of the string quartet.

Yes, I have, and that's even a more sophisticated work. The Symphonie Concertante has great music too, incorporating hints of Neoclassicism and folk music gestures.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Happy birthday, Arthur!

The 2nd SQ is a tremendous piece. Its place into the greatest British SQs must be taken into account.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on August 02, 2021, 01:18:52 PM

The slow movement of the Symphonie Concertante, "Symphony No. 4" is one of the composers most exquisite moments.

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on August 02, 2021, 01:24:37 PM

Cool, Rafael!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot