What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Que

Picking up where I left off:

Disc 1: Comiençan discantes (Discants)

Revisiting this makes me more appreciate it. Used to think it was a bit on the dry and boring side.

But taken in doses smaller than an entire disc in a single run and with attentive listening (this stuff requires more "work"),  this is very enjoyable. It probably also helps I have now more listening experience with instrumental music from this period. :)

Harry

Jacques Offenbach.

La Royaume de Neptune.
Music Symphonique et Ballets d' Orphee aux Enfers.

Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Howard Griffiths.

Richly detailed and hyper-alert performances, with a myriad of shades and colours. Well recorded.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 03, 2021, 12:32:23 AM
Picking up where I left off:

Disc 1: Comiençan discantes (Discants)

Revisiting this makes me more appreciate it. Used to think it was a bit on the dry and boring side.

But taken in doses smaller than an entire disc in a single run and with attentive listening (this stuff requires more "work"),  this is very enjoyable. It probably also helps I have now more listening experience with instrumental music from this period. :)

Agree with all you say about these performances. Its a unique and treasurable box of worthwhile discoveries.

Harry

Richard Flury.

Der Magische Spiegel, Ballet in three scenes.
Kleine Ballettmusik.

Nuremberg SO, Paul Mann.

To begin with both works are beautifully orchestrated, by a composer that is forgotten. Flury's music has great tenderness, and a genuine feel for ballet in general. Particularly the writing for woodwind is amazing and brings memories of Tchaikovsky to mind. Beautiful melodic lines, and great expression everywhere in the music.There is a finesse in the music that beguiles in a very intimate way. Gorgeously performed and recorded.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello guys and Ladies Land ''of GmG universe'', I'm in the mood for good old Ars Subtilior, currently listening to this genre via two  box-sets on OUTHERE music, Arcana Division, the best entry in Ars Subtilior, respectively the following killer release, instant Gem of box-set called:

Vertu Contra Furore- Musical Language in Medieval Italy 1380-1420 = 3 CD's

and

Figures of Harmony songs of codex Chantilly C.1390 4x CD's

There part of Holy Grail box-set I have  8)

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams 'Dona Nobis Pacem'
BBC SO & Chorus Conducted by Vaughan Williams.
(First broadcast performance, BBC Studios, November 1936):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Christoph Bach: Es erhub sich ein Streit [Goebel]

I have just listened to this Cantata on YouTube. It is a wonderful piece of music. It is a wonderful tour-de-force with very engaging brass that is very well crafted and is wonderfully celebratory. Here is the link in case anyone may be interested [it is under eight minutes long and definitely worth the effort]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzfvNwmOVo 

vers la flamme

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No.3 in F major, op.90. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: Madiel on August 03, 2021, 03:27:27 AM
Myaskovksy - Silence, op.9

A most impressive score I think.

Now playing:
Saygun PC No.1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: aligreto on August 03, 2021, 02:46:28 AM
Christoph Bach: Es erhub sich ein Streit [Goebel]

I have just listened to this Cantata on YouTube. It is a wonderful piece of music. It is a wonderful tour-de-force with very engaging brass that is very well crafted and is wonderfully celebratory. Here is the link in case anyone may be interested [it is under eight minutes long and definitely worth the effort]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzfvNwmOVo

Some comparative listening with:

JS Bach: Cantata - Es erhub sich ein Streit BWV 19 [Gardiner]

Que

Papy Oli

Finishing last week's cantatas : BWV 136 (Harnoncourt, Rilling, Suzuki)

Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2021, 03:35:30 AM
A most impressive score I think.

I liked it considerably better than any of the previous Myaskovsky opuses, put it that way.

Sticking with Myaskovksy and Svetlanov for the Overture in G (op.9 bis) - a far sunnier work based on an unpublished piano sonata - and Sinfonietta no.1 (op.10).

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

William Wordsworth.
Orchestral Music, Volume I.

Liepaja SO, John Gibbons,

This music will shake you by the scruff of your neck, like it or not. The harmonic and thematic structure of all the works must be heard to be believed. Every composition is build up in a very logical modus and makes a firm impression by its scoring, in which emotion and rationale are very close partners. I think that all the qualities come together in the impressive 8th Symphony, that is for me a firm statement of the composer himself and about himself.
Excellent recording and performance.

vandermolen

Quote from: Madiel on August 03, 2021, 04:12:22 AM
I liked it considerably better than any of the previous Myaskovsky opuses, put it that way.

Sticking with Myaskovksy and Svetlanov for the Overture in G (op.9 bis) - a far sunnier work based on an unpublished piano sonata - and Sinfonietta no.1 (op.10).
Well, I'm glad that you enjoyed. I'd recommend the Lyric Concertino as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on August 03, 2021, 04:13:11 AM
William Wordsworth.
Orchestral Music, Volume I.

Liepaja SO, John Gibbons,

This music will shake you by the scruff of your neck, like it or not. The harmonic and thematic structure of all the works must be heard to be believed. Every composition is build up in a very logical modus and makes a firm impression by its scoring, in which emotion and rationale are very close partners. I think that all the qualities come together in the impressive 8th Symphony, that is for me a firm statement of the composer himself and about himself.
Excellent recording and performance.
That CD has been a fine discovery for me too Harry.

Now playing, the music of your compatriot Hendrik Andriessen.
Symphony No.3 (1946) - a powerful, concise, searching and visionary score, rather in the spirit of the contemporaneous Symphony No.6 by Vaughan Williams. I have Christo of this forum to thank for its discovery:

Traverso

Madiel

Dvorak's first great song collection, Gypsy Melodies. The Czech version (Dvorak's first version was actually in German, but the original poems were in Czech!).

And first proper listen to this album since I made the decision to purchase the CD.

EDIT: I got to the mellower 3rd and 4th songs and went "oh my God, this is why I chose this recording". Just exquisite. Not that the faster songs are bad, but the slower ones are magic.