What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46, Spotted Horses and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on August 03, 2021, 07:21:47 AM
I shall definitely look those out. My 'to listen' list is growing apace.

I hate it when I see things that I can't get a hold of via Spotify, however. I have been in that boat with the Martinu symphony set from Thomson. Uber annoying. I have been able to find the historic RVW recordings that have so impressed Jeffrey (Vandermolen) though, which have at last arrived on the platform. They will be on the listening list, although I suspect the less than stellar recording sound may frustrate me. I really do prefer more modern recordings, but beggars and choosers and all that... I want to join the party because of the attendant enthusiasm, so Old Mother McGruder's tinny ear harmonium it is!

If I were to use a streaming service, I'd probably go with Qobuz as they seem like their database is growing larger and larger by the minute. I'm not sure if you've check them out, but they may be worth considering given how much classical music they have uploaded.

SonicMan46

Howells, Herbert (1892-1983) - Requiem, Hymnus Paradisi, English Mass & Vaughan Williams, Ralph (1872-1958) - Mass in G Minor & Te Deum w/ the many performers on the cover art - still continuing my perusal of my 'British Music' collection - don't collect much choral/vocal music after the Medieval/Renaissance/Baroque periods, but have about two dozen discs of British choral recordings, including the two below - will listen to what I have of Howells instrumental music next; now not much and could add - suggestions welcomed!  Dave :)

aligreto

Buxtehude: "Nun freut euch, lieben Christen gmein" BuxWV 210 played by Arjen Leistra on the Flentrop Organ of Schiedam, Grote of St.Janskerk in the Netherlands

YouTube link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44cCKdILdY

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 03, 2021, 07:41:36 AM
Buxtehude: "Nun freut euch, lieben Christen gmein" BuxWV 210 played by Arjen Leistra on the Flentrop Organ of Schiedam, Grote of St.Janskerk in the Netherlands

YouTube link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44cCKdILdY

You are a Buxtehude admirer,Soargin is one of your favorites  :)

DavidW

Thanks to some recent discussion...

never even heard the composer before.  Honestly I'm completely blown away!

bhodges

Weill: "Lost in the Stars" (Barbara Hannigan, soprano and conductor, l'Orchestre philharmonique de Radio France, live recording 28 May 2021) -- Already a vocal superstar, Hannigan beautifully demonstrates that the right person can sing and conduct simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Q-4JcqEa8

--Bruce

foxandpeng

Quote from: DavidW on August 03, 2021, 08:09:48 AM

Aren't they great? Would love to hear your thoughts over in the Holmboe thread 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Continuing on with this set:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 60, "Leningrad"
Tatarstan National SO
Sladkovsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2021, 07:32:35 PM
NP:

Schnittke
Symphony No. 4
Iaroslav Zdorov (counter-tenor), Dmitri Pianov (tenor), Igor Khudolei (piano), Evgeniya Khlynova (celesta), Elena Adamovich (harpsichord)
Russian State Symphonic Cappella
Russian State Symphony Orchestra
Polyansky

Love that!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on August 03, 2021, 08:09:48 AM

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

TD:

CD 4

Symphony of Psalms
Columbia Broadcasting Symphony & Mixed Chorus
NYC Liederkranz Hall 19 Dec 46

Symphony in Three Movements
NY Phil
Carnegie Hall 28 Jan 46
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

It had slipped from the mind but I listened to this disc a few days ago. The fact that I had almost forgotten should not be seen as an indication of a poor performance - it's superbly played (that first horn!) and recorded. While I was not underwhelmed, I was not bowled over either.

The Festliches Praeludium sounds even more imposing and festliches in the 1944 Dresden recording on Hanssler, which boasts superior sonic presence. Recorded in the vast expanse of the Frauenkirche a mere weeks before it was leveled by the allied bombings. It's one of those rare experiences the Zinman account didn't match.

Daverz

I've been dipping into the New York Philharmonic Mahler Broadcast box, first the Tennstedt 5th from 1980 and now the Mehta 2nd from 1982

These particular recordings are very well recorded, technically, but, hoo boy, is this a dry, dry hall.

SonicMan46

Beehoven, LV - Cello Sonatas w/ Steven Isserlis on the Marquis de Corberon Stradivarius of 1726 (on loan) w/ gut strings, and Robert Levin on a Paul McNulty copy of a Walter fortepiano, c. 1805; there are 40+ mins of 'fillers' on the second disc, including a transcription of the Horn Sonata, Op. 17, arranged for cello and piano.  Now I already have 4 versions of these works, both on MIs & PIs - this was an inexpensive BRO purchase, and for me a keeper (need to cull out one of my others?).  :)  Dave

P.S. reviews attached for those interested!

ritter

Spurred by recent discussions here on GMG, I'm revisiting Karol Szymanowski's music after a long hiatus:

[asin]B003NRYBUC[/asin]
I'll certainly explore the composer's oeuvre further... :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on August 03, 2021, 11:37:15 AM
Spurred by recent discussions here on GMG, I'm revisiting Karol Szymanowski's music after a long hiatus:

[asin]B003NRYBUC[/asin]
I'll certainly explore the composer's oeuvre further... :)

Nice, Rafael. Honestly, though, I didn't much care for that Boulez recording. It was nice enough but lacked the kind of intensity the music needs. Check out some of Wit's Naxos recordings, but the older EMI recordings with various Poles performing is also top-drawer. I even found Rattle's Szymanowski to rather persuasive believe it or not. G'day to you, sir.

ritter

Thanks, John, and good day to you as well.

I only have three Szymanowski albums in my collection: the Boulez I'm listening to now, Rattle conducting the Stabat Mater, the Litanies and Symphony No. 3 (so I have two recordings of that piece), and his complete King Roger coupled with Symphony No. 4.

I have nothing to compare it to, of course, but it appears to me that the Boulez and Terzlaff's "cool" approach to the Violin Concerto No. 1 suits the music quite well. In any case, I'm thinking of getting Martin Jones' complete traversal of the piano music (which can be had for a pittance, and the pianist made a good impression on me in his complete set of Roger-Ducasses' piano works) or the string quartets (there's a Naxos disc that has the complete).

EDIT (TD):

And now, moving on to a work by Albert Roussel that didn't make much of an impression on me when I first encountered it. Let's see this time around.

Zdeněk Košler conducts soloists and the Czech Philharmonic Chorus and Orchestra in Évocations, op. 15

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on August 03, 2021, 11:57:17 AM
Thanks, John, and good day to you as well.

I only have three Szymanowski albums in my collection: the Boulez I'm listening to now, Rattle conducting the Stabat Mater, the Litanies and Symphony No. 3 (so I have two recordings of that piece), and his complete King Roger coupled with Symphony No. 4.

I have nothing to compare it to, of course, but it appears to me that the Boulez and Terzlaff's "cool" approach to the Violin Concerto No. 1 suits the music quite well. In any case, I'm thinking of getting Martin Jones' complete traversal of the piano music (which can be had for a pittance, and the pianist made a good impression on me in his complete set of Roger-Ducasses' piano works) or the string quartets (there's a Naxos disc that has the complete).

EDIT (TD):

And now, moving on to a work by Albert Roussel that didn't make much of an impression on me when I first encountered it. Let's see this time around.

Zdeněk Košler conducts soloists and the Czech Philharmonic Chorus and Orchestra in Évocations, op. 15

Oh man, I didn't want to turn this into long drawn-out Szymanowski discussion on this thread, so...

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,290.msg1384899.html#msg1384899

aligreto

Couperin, F: Deuxième Livre de Pieces de Clavecin [Rousset]

CD 2: Huitieme et Neuvieme Ordres