What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

La Lira d'Esperia II.
Galicia, Tradicionais
Alfonso X O Sabio, Cantigas & Dancas Antigas.

Anónimos
Dancas, Cantigas & Cantos de Terra.

Jordi Savall, Pedro Estevan, David Mayoral.
SACD recording.

A very interesting and rewarding musical journey. It creates quite naturally a vivid image, and is sustained throughout this recording. An acquired taste. Sound is extremely good, as is the performance.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

CD2 from the Koopman Novalis / Bach Organ works set.

Olivier

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2021, 01:52:12 AM
That's one of my best CD purchases of recent years Danny - especially for Symphony No.4, which I rate very highly. No.2 is great as well but I already knew that through a different recording. Let us know what you think of it.

I was drawn to Gipps by Alex Burns' website, which I quite enjoy:

https://classicalexburns.com/2021/02/13/ruth-gipps-symphony-no-4-classic-british-style/

I certainly need to spend more time with Gipps. It's a shame that the time in which she lived didn't allow a greater exposure, development and appreciation. In some senses, I really don't care about the gender, self-identification or background of the composers I hear, but considering the appropriate attention given to excellent female writers such as Beamish, Rehnqvist, Pavlova et al., her musical career could have been so much more. I guess her 'out of fashion' voice was never going to fit the BBC establishment style favoured in her day, aside from issues of underlying inequality, but this is intelligent and well-constructed music, it seems.

I like what I've been listening to so far. While not reaching the heights of some of the real British standouts, #2 and #4 certainly deserve recognition. I have her on repeat this morning. The energy of her #4 first movement was a nice kick-start to my day. I also like her Clarinet Concerto.

I know it's easier to assess her work after the passage of time, but she merits a greater place than she currently occupies.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

On Spotify:

Wonderful - the entire series seems a no-brainer.  :)

Quote from: "Harry" on August 05, 2021, 12:02:08 AM
I am waiting for them Que, please remember when you roam the streets of Sevilla $:) Don't you come back without them :laugh:

Fingers crossed... 8)

Harry

William Wordsworth.

Orchestral music, Volume II.
Piano Concerto in D minor.
Three pastoral Sketches.
Violin Concerto in A major.

Arta Arnicane, Piano,
Kamila Bydlowska, Violin.
Liepaja SO, John Gibbons.

Indispensable when you like the first volume. Grandiose performances of all works on this CD.
Very much recommended. Excellent sound too.

Spotted Horses

Hindemith, String Trio No 1. Trio Zimmerman, BIS

An interesting work, in vaguely Neo-Baroque style, from relatively early in Hindemith's career when he was a bit of a radical. Contrapuntal character throughout, lively opening toccata, sensuous slow movement, pizzicato scherzo-ish movement and a fugal finale which alternates between fast and slow material. Fine performance and recording. Thoroughly enjoyed.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Traverso

Richard Strauss

Symphonia domestica

Tod und Verklärung

Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

Lorin Maazel

Que

I have my favourite complete cycles, but this is a delectable recording.  :)

Harry

"Its a Girl"

Amy Beach, Sonia Eckhardt Gramatte, Louise Farrenc, Mel Bonis, Julia Smith.

Thomas Irnberger, Violin.
Barbara Moser, Piano.
SACD recording.

One cannot be without this release. Some top compositions are assembled here, and get first class interpretations. Could not single out one work without doing an injustice to the rest.
The SACD sound is just perfect, and that means that the CD sound is also perfect. I have listened to both.

Karl Henning

CD 6:

Orpheus NYC Manhattan Center 22/23 Feb 49
Mass NYC Town Hall 24/25 Feb 49
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Ludwig van Beethoven.

Symphonies Bo. 6 & 8.

Anima Eterna, Jos van Immerseel.

Good wine doesn't need praise, it has to be tasted. This complete set has for me reference status, apart from the terrible vocal parts in No. 9 that is. Beethoven should have given us a version without the vocal windbags. :laugh:

Mirror Image

NP:

Bartók
Five Hungarian Folksongs, Sz 101, BB 108
Júlia Hamari, mezzo-soprano
Hungarian State Orchestra
András Kórodi

Absolutely exquisite.

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2021, 06:03:51 AM
CD 6:

Orpheus NYC Manhattan Center 22/23 Feb 49
Mass NYC Town Hall 24/25 Feb 49

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Isaac Albeniz, Iberia Suite. Arr. Arbos/Surinach.

Mirror Image

NP:

Koechlin
Violin Sonata, Op. 64
Stéphanie Moraly, violin
Romain David, piano

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2021, 07:32:23 PM
NP:

Henze
Symphony No. 3
Berliners
Henze

What did you think, John? I'm not too familiar with Henze's music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: "Harry" on August 05, 2021, 06:30:10 AM
Ludwig van Beethoven.

Symphonies Bo. 6 & 8.

Good wine doesn't need praise, it has to be tasted. This complete set has for me reference status, apart from the terrible vocal parts in No. 9 that is. Beethoven should have given us a version without the vocal windbags. :laugh:

I'm not anti-HIP by any means and I know a lot of people rate this set VERY highly but I struggle with it every time I hear it!  Stunning stunning playing for sure backed up by good sound but I find these performances without any elegance and just hard-driven.  Exciting and invigorating but little else.  A minority opinion I know!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: "Harry" on August 05, 2021, 06:30:10 AM
Ludwig van Beethoven.

Symphonies Bo. 6 & 8.

Agree with every word. I remember reading somewhere that Beethoven had considered replacing the finale of the ninth with an instrumental movement, and I wish he had lived to carry it out.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

CD 8

RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra

Divertimento from Le baiser de la fée

Danses Concertantes

Voncerto for pf and winds
Soulima Stravinsky, pf

Scherzo à la russe
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2021, 07:57:04 AM
CD 8

RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra

Divertimento from Le baiser de la fée

Danses Concertantes

Voncerto for pf and winds
Soulima Stravinsky, pf

Scherzo à la russe

Scherzo à la russe,I love that piece and the recording with Stravinsky is the finest It's humorous with  mischievous undertones   :)