Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1919161 times)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #48080 on: August 25, 2021, 11:54:14 PM »
Adriaan Willaert

CD 1

Just arrived and  listening to the clear sound of Singer Pur.I like the timbres of their voices ,the harmony is great, transparent ,close and intimate . The recording also leaves nothing to be desired.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #48081 on: August 25, 2021, 11:55:45 PM »
Sweelinck, JP - well, after purchasing the 6-disc Glossa set of the composer's 'complete KB works,' many other recordings had been recommended, esp. by Mandryka - SO, about finishing up a nearly 5 hr. Spotify playlist w/ the offerings below; Richard Egarr on harpsichord, Peter Ella on clavichord, Sweelinck in the 'Art of Variation' (have to hear that one and read the attached review), and Gavin Black on an interesting instrument explained before.  I could find reviews on only Egarr and the 'Variation...' discs?  Dave :)

There’s a lot of Sweelinck by Bob Van Asperen, all interesting IMO, some of it very interesting, most of it tucked away in recordings which aren’t streamable and may even be hard to find as CDs. One exception is on the NM set - he plays some complex music on NM and for me discovering it was a revelatory moment - it was through those toccatas etc that somehow I acquired the knack of listening to 16th century keyboard counterpoint.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48082 on: August 26, 2021, 12:10:56 AM »
Adriaan Willaert

CD 1

Just arrived and  listening to the clear sound of Singer Pur.I like the timbres of their voices ,the harmony is great, transparent ,close and intimate . The recording also leaves nothing to be desired.

We're in total agreement!  :)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #48083 on: August 26, 2021, 12:15:11 AM »
There’s a lot of Sweelinck by Bob Van Asperen, all interesting IMO, some of it very interesting, most of it tucked away in recordings which aren’t streamable and may even be hard to find as CDs. One exception is on the NM set - he plays some complex music on NM and for me discovering it was a revelatory moment - it was through those toccatas etc that somehow I acquired the knack of listening to 16th century keyboard counterpoint.

Some additional information about Sweelinck:

Sweelinck has been the organist of the Oude Kerk for more than four decades. He must have been improvising a lot all this time. As with Paumann, Mozart and Bruckner, much has been lost for eternity. Sweelinck probably only wrote down keyboard work during the last 15 years of his life, when he was already a middle-aged man. What we now have in keyboard work is solely due to copies of others, including the German students. None of this has survived in the Netherlands.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #48084 on: August 26, 2021, 12:33:29 AM »

I much prefer these performances to the 1960s Boulez performances I was listening to yesterday. The analogue sound is absolutely gorgeous and they have a lot more atmosphere than the rather arid Boulez performances. Haitink's Nocturnes is surely one of the greatest ever to be made.

These performances won accolades and awards when they were first issued and this two disc set (if it's still available) is an absolute bargain.

Still available; I bought it last month (used). Very good stuff

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #48085 on: August 26, 2021, 12:49:42 AM »
Sweelinck

CD 7

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #48086 on: August 26, 2021, 01:13:01 AM »

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.4 in A minor, op.63. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra

First listen to this recording. Sounds good.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #48087 on: August 26, 2021, 01:49:14 AM »

The fill-ups are the main attractions of this disc, Caplet's orchestrations of Children's Corner, Ansermet's of Six épigraphes antiques and Ducasse;s of the King Lear fragments. Performances are very good and Robert Plane is excellent in the Clarinet Rhapsody, but, though this is a decent enough performance of La mer, it doesn't really compare to the wonderful Haitink I listened to earlier today.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #48088 on: August 26, 2021, 02:06:33 AM »
Medtner, Piano sonata in F minor, op.5

Enjoying the first movement immensely.  EDIT: Especially the coda, wow!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 02:14:54 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #48089 on: August 26, 2021, 02:14:31 AM »
Schubert: Sonata No 1 in E major, D157; Sonata No 2 in C major, D279/346; Sonata No 9 in B major, D575 - Paul Badura-Skoda fortepianos. Nos 1 & 9 are played on fortepiano by Donath Schofftos (Vienna c. 1810). No 2 is played on an instrument by Georg Hasska (Vienna c 1815). Unfortunately the booklet gives no more information on the instruments. In D346 P B-S uses a special pedal; this is unspecified but it sounds like the janissary pedal on the Graf fortepiano used by Andreas Staier in his recording of the Diabelli Variations.

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #48090 on: August 26, 2021, 02:26:07 AM »
Eugen Suchon.

Orchestral Works.

Estonian SO, Neeme Järvi.

A prolific composer with an huge output, but little love in the recording department. He is a good composer, and really does not deserve to be cast out of the public mind.
Järvi took up the challenge, and delivered a fine example of what Suchon is capable off. It made quite an impression on me. Searching for more recordings I found them to be OOP. just a measly 3 CD's.
The recording made in 2014-15 is pretty good as is the committed performance. Recommended.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #48091 on: August 26, 2021, 02:30:03 AM »
Good afternoon all,

Revisiting Heinichen this lunchtime.

Olivier

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #48092 on: August 26, 2021, 02:46:45 AM »
Szell's cycle is my favorite on modern instruments. So, yes, thoroughly enjoying this classic set. (In the 60s Szell and his Cleveland Orchestra were considered the best Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven band in the land.) Favorite performances are 2, 3, 5 and 8...but there is not a dud among them.

Sarge
Pleased to hear that you are enjoying them Sarge.  And, yes, Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra were quite 'The Pair' back then!  :)

PD

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #48093 on: August 26, 2021, 02:46:58 AM »
Medtner, The first set of Goethe-Lieder, op.6

Some delicious stuff, and also some wild piano parts.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #48094 on: August 26, 2021, 03:13:04 AM »
Sweelinck

Secular Works 

CD1 Chansons

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #48095 on: August 26, 2021, 03:14:14 AM »
Georg Philipp Telemann.

The Grand Concertos for Mixed Instruments, Volume I.
La Stagione Frankfurt, Michael Schneider.

Let me make one thing clear, Que made me do this, and now I have two big boxes with in toto 15 CD's with music from this composer on authentic instruments, and what's more I love it. It is performed in such a galant way, and bubbles with enthusiasm as if these were new discoveries made yesterday. Well recorded too.

Harry - I received the same box (already owned the other) yesterday and went through the first 3 CDs last night - will finish up today!  Dave :)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #48096 on: August 26, 2021, 03:51:29 AM »
Dvorak, Biblical Songs

I find the other version I have (Soukupova and Moravec in Supraphon's blue 'Sacred Works' box) rather too static across 10 songs. This one still has plenty of moments of repose, but doesn't completely lose momentum. Timing is 24:50 here versus 29:09 in the Supraphon.

Plus Infante gives her singing lots of different vocal colours. A satisfying conclusion to what I think is a really, really solid album.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:53:02 AM by Madiel »

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #48097 on: August 26, 2021, 04:30:37 AM »
Ned Rorem SY1.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #48098 on: August 26, 2021, 04:34:37 AM »
I reckon y'all can figure out which set this is from

Well, and I have an unfair advantage, there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #48099 on: August 26, 2021, 04:47:52 AM »
 An enjoyable recording

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m9SXjT90zkw?list=PLiN-7mukU_RHlygjIgPJozB3vat2nULqP" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m9SXjT90zkw?list=PLiN-7mukU_RHlygjIgPJozB3vat2nULqP</a>