What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato, Harry, AnotherSpin and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on August 26, 2021, 12:26:29 AM

I much prefer these performances to the 1960s Boulez performances I was listening to yesterday. The analogue sound is absolutely gorgeous and they have a lot more atmosphere than the rather arid Boulez performances. Haitink's Nocturnes is surely one of the greatest ever to be made.

These performances won accolades and awards when they were first issued and this two disc set (if it's still available) is an absolute bargain.

Still available; I bought it last month (used). Very good stuff

Traverso

vers la flamme

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.4 in A minor, op.63. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra

First listen to this recording. Sounds good.

Tsaraslondon

The fill-ups are the main attractions of this disc, Caplet's orchestrations of Children's Corner, Ansermet's of Six épigraphes antiques and Ducasse;s of the King Lear fragments. Performances are very good and Robert Plane is excellent in the Clarinet Rhapsody, but, though this is a decent enough performance of La mer, it doesn't really compare to the wonderful Haitink I listened to earlier today.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Madiel

Medtner, Piano sonata in F minor, op.5

Enjoying the first movement immensely.  EDIT: Especially the coda, wow!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Schubert: Sonata No 1 in E major, D157; Sonata No 2 in C major, D279/346; Sonata No 9 in B major, D575 - Paul Badura-Skoda fortepianos. Nos 1 & 9 are played on fortepiano by Donath Schofftos (Vienna c. 1810). No 2 is played on an instrument by Georg Hasska (Vienna c 1815). Unfortunately the booklet gives no more information on the instruments. In D346 P B-S uses a special pedal; this is unspecified but it sounds like the janissary pedal on the Graf fortepiano used by Andreas Staier in his recording of the Diabelli Variations.

Harry

Eugen Suchon.

Orchestral Works.

Estonian SO, Neeme Järvi.

A prolific composer with an huge output, but little love in the recording department. He is a good composer, and really does not deserve to be cast out of the public mind.
Järvi took up the challenge, and delivered a fine example of what Suchon is capable off. It made quite an impression on me. Searching for more recordings I found them to be OOP. just a measly 3 CD's.
The recording made in 2014-15 is pretty good as is the committed performance. Recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Revisiting Heinichen this lunchtime.

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 25, 2021, 01:24:51 PM
Szell's cycle is my favorite on modern instruments. So, yes, thoroughly enjoying this classic set. (In the 60s Szell and his Cleveland Orchestra were considered the best Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven band in the land.) Favorite performances are 2, 3, 5 and 8...but there is not a dud among them.

Sarge
Pleased to hear that you are enjoying them Sarge.  And, yes, Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra were quite 'The Pair' back then!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Medtner, The first set of Goethe-Lieder, op.6

Some delicious stuff, and also some wild piano parts.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Sweelinck

Secular Works 

CD1 Chansons

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on August 26, 2021, 12:45:42 AM
Georg Philipp Telemann.

The Grand Concertos for Mixed Instruments, Volume I.
La Stagione Frankfurt, Michael Schneider.

Let me make one thing clear, Que made me do this, and now I have two big boxes with in toto 15 CD's with music from this composer on authentic instruments, and what's more I love it. It is performed in such a galant way, and bubbles with enthusiasm as if these were new discoveries made yesterday. Well recorded too.

Harry - I received the same box (already owned the other) yesterday and went through the first 3 CDs last night - will finish up today!  Dave :)

Madiel

Dvorak, Biblical Songs

I find the other version I have (Soukupova and Moravec in Supraphon's blue 'Sacred Works' box) rather too static across 10 songs. This one still has plenty of moments of repose, but doesn't completely lose momentum. Timing is 24:50 here versus 29:09 in the Supraphon.

Plus Infante gives her singing lots of different vocal colours. A satisfying conclusion to what I think is a really, really solid album.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 25, 2021, 05:19:48 PM
I reckon y'all can figure out which set this is from

Well, and I have an unfair advantage, there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 26, 2021, 03:30:03 AM
Good afternoon all,

Revisiting Heinichen this lunchtime.

Have you tried Geog Muffat's concertos yet?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: JBS on August 25, 2021, 05:19:48 PM
I reckon y'all can figure out which set this is from

This same disc for this same reason! Finally digging in to the box which I received last Friday. Birthday charade worked perfectly.  ;D

kyjo

Quote from: Madiel on August 26, 2021, 03:06:33 AM
Medtner, Piano sonata in F minor, op.5

Enjoying the first movement immensely.  EDIT: Especially the coda, wow!

Oh yeah, that coda of the first movement is something else! Great stuff.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff