What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Traverso on September 02, 2021, 10:01:47 AM
Bach

The French Suites

Nice interpretation and unique approach. I believe that the tuning was a little lowered. Love the disc.

SonicMan46

Fibich, Zdenek (1850-1900) - Moods, Impressions & Souvenirs; Reminiscences & Paintings w/ William Howard & Radoslav Kvapil - these are miniature piano works (a few minutes or less) listed as Op. 41, 44, 47, 57 (click on bottom chart - Source) - there are a total of 376 pieces; the Howard recording contains just over 3 dozen from Op. 41; the Kvapil (a MP3 DL) is a mix, half of which are from Op. 41 w/ just 6 or so duplications.  NOW, the middle row shows just 3 of 12 CDs recorded by Marian Lapsansky, so there is certainly a LOT more Fibich piano music available to hear; BTW, these latter recordings are available on Spotify (not sure that I want to make a playlist!  :laugh:) - Dave

Traverso

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 02, 2021, 01:27:33 PM
Nice interpretation and unique approach. I believe that the tuning was a little lowered. Love the disc.

Glad you like it too. :)  Unfortunately it is OOP.

All I can find is that it a Harpsichord made by the Harpsichord  and Organ builders Vater.

"A rare connection of the specific,Italianate timbre of an original German historic harpsichord  in French chamber pitch,it is one of the few remaning German harpsichords of the Bach era that is still in playing condition

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2021, 01:10:42 PM
Me too, and now I got sucked into Martinu and I can't stop!!

A lot of you probably know this feeling  ;D
;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2021, 01:10:42 PM
Me too, and now I got sucked into Martinu and I can't stop!!

A lot of you probably know this feeling  ;D

If he hadn't written so damn many pieces, none of us would be in this predicament.  ;D

(PS, I haven't heard either of these recordings, and would like to, since -- other works aside for a moment -- the Double Concerto is one of the great works of the 20th century.)

--Bruce

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 02, 2021, 01:14:05 PM
Klenau: Symphony No. 1

Here there is very fine music. It could meander a bit in some passages, but it's undeniable how good it is. From the very visionary beginning I was hooked.

Too bad the symphonies have not all been recorded. Nos 7 and 9 are just as good as those on this disc. But that's all we've got.

T. D.

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on September 02, 2021, 03:58:56 PM
Too bad the symphonies have not all been recorded. Nos 7 and 9 are just as good as those on this disc. But that's all we've got.

I did listen to the 5th and my impressions were positive too. It's kind of annoying record labels don't finish these projects.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

DavidW

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 02, 2021, 01:27:33 PM

I couldn't find it on qobuz so went for something similar

T. D.

Quote from: T. D. on September 02, 2021, 04:04:26 PM

Weird choral music.
Quote from: VonStupp on September 02, 2021, 04:48:22 PM
Color me intrigued!

Bought it from Berkshire for a whopping $3.99 (why not?), and I like Kagel.
Here's a different performance of one of the pieces on the disc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWF1-BlhE4U

Symphonic Addict

I can't believe Chaplin composed the music for this film. Not only was he a formidable actor, but also a quite promising composer. This music exudes spark and fun!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

A Dvorak 9 mini-listening-kick, the first on CD, the other two on Spotify:

Previously listened to the tone poems from the Neumann set... my GOODNESS, they're absolutely gorgeous, overflowing with wonderful tunes!

A little disappointed with the Neumann 'New World' - didn't quite 'do it' for me. It's still great the hear the Czech Phil, though - they sounded lovely! Really enjoyed the Fricsay - he has his quirks (like the way he slows waaaay down for the contrasting E major section in the Scherzo - it's marked 'poco sostenuto' in the score), but in general quite satisfying. The Alsop was a mixed bag - BEAUTIFULLY played, but a touch quick and straightlaced in the slow movement, and the Scherzo seemed rushed without being exciting. But I really enjoyed the outer movement - they had a real drive and energy to them.

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2021, 12:01:38 PM
Sampled clips of Handel Op. 6 No. 11 as played by Pinnock, Alte Musik Berlin/Forck, and Orpheus CO. Liked all of them. Some critic I am  ;D

I might have to track this disc down! Can't get enough Martinu...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

T. D.

The latter recording consists mostly of sections from larger works, which is a little strange.

Plus my favorite Kagel piece, ..., den 24. xii. 1931 Garbled news for baritone and instruments

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 02, 2021, 05:42:05 PM
I can't believe Chaplin composed the music for this film. Not only was he a formidable actor, but also a quite promising composer. This music exudes spark and fun!

Great fun, and not only the use of "Hallelujah, I'm a bum!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Good to see Brian and others listening to Martinů and, yes, once you start listening to his music, it is difficult to stop. :)

Madiel

Martinu is on my to-do list.

As is finding a setting that makes it quick and easy to do the Czech alphabet justice.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Artem

Gudmundsen-Holmgreen For Cello and Orchestra (1994-96) is a slow moving, developing piece. It reminds me of landscape pieces of Hosokawa. Feldman's Cello and Orchestra (1972) is in his agitated style. I'm not a big fan of his anxiety inducing music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 02, 2021, 05:42:05 PM

Oh, I did know that - he was multi-talented, but I'm delighted to see the CD with great cover art.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).