Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Felix Mendelssohn
Piano Concerto 1 in g minor, op. 25
Piano Concerto 2 in d minor, op. 40

Jean‐Yves Thibaudet, piano
Gewandhaus - Herbert Blomstedt

Thibaudet is a little rougher with Mendelssohn, with little ill effect for me. Love Blomstedt! VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Listening to this entire recording (again):

Mirror Image

NP:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings [Disc 1]

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 12, 2021, 05:58:53 AM
Pounds the table! Glad to see you enjoying Martinů's music. He is an incredible composer and favorite of mine since I started to seriously listen to classical music in 2008.

Indeed! I know I've heard all of Martinů's symphonies at least once, but I really want to get them "under my skin", so to speak, like I have with numerous other composers (Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Mahler...) Thankfully the scores are available on IMSLP!

Just heard George Lloyd's Symphony no. 12:

Perhaps this is my least favorite symphony I've heard of his so far, but it's all relative - it was still very enjoyable. It appears to be in one continuous 40-minute movement, in three contrasting sections. Even though he lived another nine years and still composed pieces in other forms, this was his final symphony, and you can almost hear him "riding off into the sunset" in the valedictory and very moving coda.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 13, 2021, 04:39:31 PM
Indeed! I know I've heard all of Martinů's symphonies at least once, but I really want to get them "under my skin", so to speak, like I have with numerous other composers (Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Mahler...) Thankfully the scores are available on IMSLP!

I truly hope that you do! His music has given me countless hours of pleasure over the years.

André

Mirror Image

NP:

Penderecki
Lacrimosa
Magnificat
Kanon

Jadwiga Gadulanka (soprano), Wiéslaw Ochman (tenor), Peter Lagger (bass)
Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Polish Radio Chorus Of Krakow, Krakow Philharmonic Chorus, Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra
Penderecki

From this new acquisition -

JBS

Catholic church music from 17th century Brabant, when Catholicism was de jure (but not de facto) suppressed.
Benedictus a Sancto Josepho was a Carmelite friar and somewhat well known composer.
One short modern work is included.

ETA
The modern work sticks out like a sore thumb due to harmonic/melodic progressions.
The main part of the program is comparable in style to Schutz or Monteverdi.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

kyjo

Copland: Symphonic Ode and Orchestral Variations

Thoroughly enjoying getting acquainted with these impressive lesser-known Copland works which I'm not too familiar with. The Symphonic Ode (1929) stands at the crossroads between his early modernist style and his ensuing populist style, and a rhythmically charged, exciting piece it is, not bereft of lyricism either. The Orchestral Variations (1957) is a powerful, granitic, declamatory work which, although quite dissonant, I found to be very engaging. Despite being quite far away in idiom from his populist ballets, it's still identifiably Copland in its sharply etched sonorities. Great stuff reminding me that I should listen to Copland more often! I also revisited his Dance Symphony recently which is a thoroughly marvelous work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: "Harry" on September 12, 2021, 05:12:48 AM
New acquisition.

Joachim Raff.

Overture to; Dame Kobold, Abends, König Alfred, Die Eifersüchtigen.
Prelude to Dornröschen.
Symphony No. 4 "Lenore".

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Neeme Järvi.

Outstanding in every respect.

0:)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: aligreto on September 12, 2021, 10:20:26 AM
Finishing the Florent Schmitt album with the B side: La Tragedie De Salome [Martinon]

This is a fine work which is lyrical at its core but is still filled with passion and drama. The orchestration is very fine and the use of dynamics is very effective in generating and building up the requisite atmosphere that prevails throughout the work. I also particularly like the relatively short choral [vocalise] element of the work. We are also treated to a very satisfactory conclusion here.

Love Schmitt!!!! Do you know his staggeringly thrilling Psaume XLVII for chorus and orchestra (with a vocal soloist in the middle section)? It's a must-listen!

Edit: Yes, you do! Powerful, isn't it?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 13, 2021, 07:12:24 PM
Love Schmitt!!!! Do you know his staggeringly thrilling Psaume XLVII for chorus and orchestra (with a vocal soloist in the middle section)? It's a must-listen!

I believe aligreto posted previously that he was listening to the Psaume. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Todd on September 12, 2021, 10:45:13 AM

5 & 6.  This set has emerged as one of the best I've heard, almost certainly necessitating some A/Bs at some point.  Eminently satisfactory in every way.

I've had the good fortune to hear and see this ensemble live performing these masterworks. Seriously stupendous and sharp-edged music playing.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 07:14:44 PM
I believe aligreto posted previously that he was listening to the Psaume. ;)

Yes, just realized!

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 07:02:46 PM
Copland: Symphonic Ode and Orchestral Variations

Thoroughly enjoying getting acquainted with these impressive lesser-known Copland works which I'm not too familiar with. The Symphonic Ode (1929) stands at the crossroads between his early modernist style and his ensuing populist style, and a rhythmically charged, exciting piece it is, not bereft of lyricism either. The Orchestral Variations (1957) is a powerful, granitic, declamatory work which, although quite dissonant, I found to be very engaging. Despite being quite far away in idiom from his populist ballets, it's still identifiably Copland in its sharply etched sonorities. Great stuff reminding me that I should listen to Copland more often! I also revisited his Dance Symphony recently which is a thoroughly marvelous work.

Love that disc!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Sinfonietta on Estonian motifs

Quite simply inspiriting music. I can't decide which movement is my favorite. Probably the eloquent and idyllic Ostinato featuring that achingly gorgeous tune, unbearably poetic. This music makes me so happy. Thank you so much, Eduard!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 13, 2021, 07:56:47 PM
Sinfonietta on Estonian motifs

Quite simply inspiriting music. I can't decide which movement is my favorite. Probably the eloquent and idyllic Ostinato featuring that achingly gorgeous tune, unbearably poetic. This music makes me so happy. Thank you so much, Eduard!

Oh yes, but I'd venture further to say that this is a winning disc all-around.

Mirror Image

NP:

Vasks
Concerto No. 2 for Cello and String Orchestra, "Klatbutne / Presence"
Sol Gabetta (violoncello)
Amsterdam Sinfonietta
Candida Thompson

A hugely satisfying work. Utterly gorgeous. A must for all Vasks fan I'd say.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 08:03:48 PM
Oh yes, but I'd venture further to say that this is a winning disc all-around.

Also regarding the Symphony No. 7, yes! I'm a little less keen on the Piano Concertino, though.

Noam Chomsky