What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Bach: Toccata, Adagio and Fugue, BWV 564

The majesty of the organ making the fine counterpoint and sublime themes, motifs and ideas sound. How they're interwoven. I'd say the perfection inhabits Bach's vast oeuvre in almost evey piece he wrote.

This performance is just right to my ears. Here it is the greatness, the never absent fine craftsmanship on Martin Lücker's playing.

Life-enhancing.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 07:02:46 PM
Copland: Symphonic Ode and Orchestral Variations

Thoroughly enjoying getting acquainted with these impressive lesser-known Copland works which I'm not too familiar with. The Symphonic Ode (1929) stands at the crossroads between his early modernist style and his ensuing populist style, and a rhythmically charged, exciting piece it is, not bereft of lyricism either. The Orchestral Variations (1957) is a powerful, granitic, declamatory work which, although quite dissonant, I found to be very engaging. Despite being quite far away in idiom from his populist ballets, it's still identifiably Copland in its sharply etched sonorities. Great stuff reminding me that I should listen to Copland more often! I also revisited his Dance Symphony recently which is a thoroughly marvelous work.

Count me as another fan of these works, Kyle. Another piece that is thoroughly outstanding is his Symphony for Organ and Orchestra. It shares some rhythmic ideas with the aforementioned compositions.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on September 13, 2021, 10:43:52 AM

Last winter I bought this disc for a pittance, not knowing what to expect. It mixes orchestral and chamber music featuring instruments from the clarinet family (clarinet, bass clarinet and english horn) as well as a string trio. Schelb's dates are 1894-1977, the works on display were written over 5 decades and cover styles ranging from late romanticism to a conservative use of dodecaphonism (« the twelve-note technique is expanded expressively to form generous lines and arches of melody »). Influences quoted in the booklet are Ravel, Debussy and Reger. I do not hear the spicy neo-classicism of Hindemith, his contemporary. Schelb writes with a keen ear for sonorities and balances. He is essentially a melodist, but his musical phrases and paragraphs are cogent, lucid, to the point. He never gets lost in regerian thickets. I will certainly invest in the Toccata releases Harry enthused about recently, despite the duplications involved.

Interesting to read. Which work struck you the best, André?

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 03:49:40 PM
Listening to this entire recording (again):

Lovely, John. Apart from the main course (the Oboe Concerto, of course), the other pieces on the disc look enticing as well. I'm listening to this release soon too.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 07:03:10 AM
I dearly love this work as well! I had the wonderful opportunity of performing it a few years ago. Personally, I prefer it to any of Bartok's quartets (I doubt you'll agree ;)) and certainly to his later two quartets which I find quite difficult.

Oh, I'm jealous!! That ought to be a major experience. The 2nd Quartet is not far in greatness either. The one with the vocal soloist is rather tough at first indeed. I'll have to be in the right mood to appreciate it and that grows on me.

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 07:05:47 AM
The fourth piece, the Te Deum, is definitely my favorite work I know by Verdi (not that I know too much ;)). It's epic and imposing, and without annoying operatic excess!

A much more spiritual Verdi, for sure. I can't believe that it was my first listen (and certainly not the last) ever to this stunning piece.

I get your point about "operatic excess", but I consider I need to use to it in order to appreciate this composer more.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Schumann: 2nd Violin Sonata.

Aware that reading notes on a work can influence how you hear it. Written in 1851 when Schumann "was already suffering periods of mental instability". Not, as I was expecting, from the world of Brahms and Beethoven. With a slightly "mad" opening movement. A movement that opens pizzicato is not strange but I did find it strange (and effective) that the pizzicato opening was for the slow movement! I find Robert Schumann such an interesting composer even though, or maybe because, I can't quite get a handle on him.

Edit: pizzicato slow movement here   https://youtu.be/wW0tY4sG1jI
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Morning listening:

Uhm, well, it is interesting and different, absolutely. Some extraordinary slow tempi and a large amount of ornamentation. Also the great liberty has been taken with the instrumental (and choral) accompaniment. The result sounds actually like Early music with a modern twist. Choice of some singers is also outspoken.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2021, 12:47:42 AM
Morning listening:

Uhm, well, it is interesting and different, absolutely. Some extraordinary slow tempi and a large amount of ornamentation. Also the great liberty has been taken with the instrumental accompaniment. The result sounds actually like Early music with a modern twist. Choice of some singers is also outspoken.

I like it very much, maybe you should try his CD called Cecus, with music by Agricola and Pierre de la Rue.

Re the early music with a modern twist idea, I see him as very much following the path which Paul Van Nevel started to open up years ago. But he is lucky enough to have cultivated some imaginative singers - in that sense he's not dissimilar to Pérès. Where I disagree with you is with the suggestion of anything "modern" - for modern you have to go to things like Hilliard's Machaut with Holliger.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

First listen to this intelligently programmed CD:

All the songs presented were composed by Frenchmen to English texts. Baritone Tyler Duncan performs beautifully, in a very intimate manner and with excellent, clear diction, and is wonderfully supported by pianist Erika Switzer (Mr. Duncan and Ms. Switzer are husband and wife). Some of the works I already knew (Hahn's Five Little Songs, Ravel's lovely Chanson écossaise, Gounod's Maid of Athens --which had been recorded by Reynaldo Hahn himself-- ), and others are discoveries (the two sets by Milhaud on Tagore poems being the main point of interest for me). A superb disc (available for a pittance at amazon.es).

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2021, 12:47:42 AM
Morning listening:

Uhm, well, it is interesting and different, absolutely. Some extraordinary slow tempi and a large amount of ornamentation. Also the great liberty has been taken with the instrumental (and choral) accompaniment. The result sounds actually like Early music with a modern twist. Choice of some singers is also outspoken.

Good assessment, I agree!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good morning all.

Another Brahms first listen.

Clarinet sonatas (King, Benson)

Olivier

Que

I wasn't familiar with South African Karin van Heerden , but she has a real talent for Telemann!  :)
The fact she started out as woodwind player (oboe, recorder, flute) undoubtedly helped.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 11:50:02 AM
This disc looks like a must-hear for me!
I can't remember if I found the link or someone provided it to me, but you can listen to a live recording of it here (with the same forces).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS69CPA2cwc  Note:  the link is to the oboe concerto.  I haven't yet tried to find a link to the other two works on that CD.

If I'm recalling correctly, someone here thought that (on the CD) that the oboe was recorded too forward.

Love how it opens with the shimmering strings!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 05:57:34 PM
NP:

Penderecki
Lacrimosa
Magnificat
Kanon

Jadwiga Gadulanka (soprano), Wiéslaw Ochman (tenor), Peter Lagger (bass)
Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Polish Radio Chorus Of Krakow, Krakow Philharmonic Chorus, Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra
Penderecki

From this new acquisition -

I recall enjoying the Christmas Symphony.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Peteris Vasks:  Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra (via youtube).  A lovely way to start the day!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

More Brahms Clarinet Sonatas.

De Peyer/Baremboim.

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

More Peteris Vasks (via youtube).  His cello concerto with Geringas.  😳🙂  Wow!

Apparently, it's from a Connifer Classics CD.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Traverso

Hildegard von Bingen

My first von Bingen recording wich I bought many years ago as a LP.
When the CD's were available this was one of my first to replace the LP with all it's imperfections.
Listening to this   recording without any distortion is very beneficial for this kind of music.