What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Iota

Schumann: Liederkreis Op.24 & Op.36

Christian Gerhaher (baritone), Gerold Huber (piano)

Gerhaher richly eloquent as ever, and the unerringly fine Huber as always an essential part of the expressive whole, am really fond of this duo. Hearing the two cycles consecutively certainly favours the Op.36 for me, it hits peaks of dizzying loveliness that are slightly higher, but both contain moments of great penetration and beauty. I also find the cover portrait rather striking, but alas as am streaming for now, haven't been able to establish its provenance.

Somebody on Amazon is very annoyed about this release, and I must say I'm quite in sympathy with them. Viz:

'My grandfather was fond of quoting the proverb 'Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'. I was reminded of this by Sony's release of Schumann's lieder since it contains no translations of any of the 299 songs featured on these eleven CDs. Most are rarely performed and in some cases translations aren't available elsewhere. Gerhaher is worth crossing continents to hear. He deserves better than this penny-pinching release.'

Papy Oli

Continuing a Brahms chamber music exploration, with the String Sextets:

Earlier, Bach BWV 25 (Gardiner)

Olivier

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Bach[/B

Suite BWV 1067  (2)
Suite BWV 1069  (4)

Traverso

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 01:18:20 AM
Stenhammar: Symphony No.2
A marvellous recording, which has restored my faith in this work.

Review:

'Like father, like son? Not a bit of it. Enthusiasts will recall that Paavo Järvi's indefatigable dad, Neeme, has already given us two distinguished versions of the magnificent Second Symphony and endearing Excelsior! overture (on BIS and DG, both with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra) as well as the world premier recording of the haunting (and inexplicably discarded) "Reverenza" from the utterly enchanting Serenade (BIS). Fortunately, his son's intelligent new interpretations possess such a refreshing individuality that they complement rather than displace those earlier versions. If Neeme takes the more consistently warm-hearted view of this music (some of the most glorious Sweden has ever produced), Paavo's distinctive, frequently provocative direction brings with it ample portions of food for thought, as well as textures of fascinating, X-ray clarity. A generous and diligent survey, this, very well engineered and nimbly played by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic. And to have a singer of the calibre of Anne Sofie von Otter in the two lovely Op. 4 songs is luxury indeed. --Andrew Achenbach'

Paavo used to have hair?
Quote from: Iota on September 15, 2021, 02:13:47 AM

Schumann: Liederkreis Op.24 & Op.36

Christian Gerhaher (baritone), Gerold Huber (piano)

Gerhaher richly eloquent as ever, and the unerringly fine Huber as always an essential part of the expressive whole, am really fond of this duo. Hearing the two cycles consecutively certainly favours the Op.36 for me, it hits peaks of dizzying loveliness that are slightly higher, but both contain moments of great penetration and beauty. I also find the cover portrait rather striking, but alas as am streaming for now, haven't been able to establish its provenance.

Somebody on Amazon is very annoyed about this release, and I must say I'm quite in sympathy with them. Viz:

'My grandfather was fond of quoting the proverb 'Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'. I was reminded of this by Sony's release of Schumann's lieder since it contains no translations of any of the 299 songs featured on these eleven CDs. Most are rarely performed and in some cases translations aren't available elsewhere. Gerhaher is worth crossing continents to hear. He deserves better than this penny-pinching release.'

Is that perhaps a modern digital portrait?

I have the 2 individual CDs released in 2018 and 2019.  They're very good. But I also have the Hyperion set of the complete lieder so the full set doesn't tempt me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Papy Oli

JS Bach - BWV 17 & 78 (Gardiner)

Edit: The final chorale of BWV 17 is a thing of absolute beauty.
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Dohnanyi's Sonata in B flat minor for cello and piano and his Ruralia Hungarica for cello and piano from that same Naxos disc from the other day.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

The 'Prussian Quartets', nos 21-23.

Overall this is a distinguished set of the Mozart quartets. I find it a bit smooth, not prone to heights of expressivity, but very polished.

Irons

Bartok: 1st Violin Sonata.

A concert performance in the Grand Hall of the Moscow Conservatoire.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Really touchingly naive. Imagine if he's taken a viol consort to Art of Fugue! 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

NP:

Penderecki
Piano Concerto, "Resurrection"
Barry Douglas, piano
Warsaw Philharmonic
Wit

Traverso

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on September 15, 2021, 06:05:18 AM

The 'Prussian Quartets', nos 21-23.

Overall this is a distinguished set of the Mozart quartets. I find it a bit smooth, not prone to heights of expressivity, but very polished.

Probably my favourite discs of Mozart that I have, Andre!  :)

SonicMan46

Jose Miguel Moreno on Baroque lute in the David Kellner (1670-1748) recording and on vihuela in the Luys Milan (c. 1500-1561) disc - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Now playing this entire recording:

Mandryka

And this makes it sound complicated, it loses the charm of Savall while gaining in tension and variety. I dislike everything I've ever heard from Phantasm I think, including concerts in London.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brahmsian

Mirror Image