What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: JBS on September 15, 2021, 04:16:02 AM
Is that perhaps a modern digital portrait?

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Certainly eye-catching, though I suppose if they start appearing everywhere they could get old quickly.

Quote from: JBS on September 15, 2021, 04:16:02 AM
I have the 2 individual CDs released in 2018 and 2019.  They're very good. But I also have the Hyperion set of the complete lieder so the full set doesn't tempt me.

I'm sure that Hyperion set's very good. It also has the distinct advantage of having translations for all the songs.

Spun here:

Palmgren: Kevät (Spring), Op. 27, "Toukokuu" (May)

Jouni Somero (piano)

This is the first Palmgren I've heard, and I liked it quite a lot. In the conservative part of the spectrum but with a distinct voice.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on September 15, 2021, 07:32:42 AM
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Certainly eye-catching, though I suppose if they start appearing everywhere they could get old quickly.

I'm sure that Hyperion set's very good. It also has the distinct advantage of having translations for all the songs.

Spun here:

Palmgren: Kevät (Spring), Op. 27, "Toukokuu" (May)

Jouni Somero (piano)

This is the first Palmgren I've heard, and I liked it quite a lot. In the conservative part of the spectrum but with a distinct voice.
I've been enjoying his piano concertos recently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 08:18:02 AM
I've been enjoying his piano concertos recently.

I'll sample some more solo stuff and if that proves equally likeable, I may well try those. Thanks for mentioning.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on September 15, 2021, 08:34:04 AM
I'll sample some more solo stuff and if that proves equally likeable, I may well try those. Thanks for mentioning.
1 and 2 have unforgettably beautiful openings.
This is a very nice disc:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Bax: Symphony No.6 LPO/Thomson.
I realise that for decades I was put off this work by Del Mar's boxed-in recording on Lyrita. Thomson and Lloyd-Jones are incomparably better in all respects:

Mirror Image

NP:

Myaskovsky
Symphony No. 24 In F Minor, Op. 63, "To The Memory Of Vladimir Derzhanovsky"
Russian Federation Academic SO
Svetlanov

One of my favorites from Myaskovsky.

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 08:40:12 AM
1 and 2 have unforgettably beautiful openings.
This is a very nice disc:

Noted, thanks.

Karl Henning

CD 25:

"Wolferl"
[Basset Clarinet] Concerto in A, K.622
Horn Concerto № 1 in D, K. 412 (K.386b)
Horn Concerto № 4 in Eb, K. 495

with Chas Neidich & David Jolley
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Nino Rota: Symphony No.1 - a delightful, charming, moving and ultimately inspiriting score:

ritter

More from the three sets of Hindemith's complete orchestral music on the CPO label I bought early this summer:

The works on this CD (No. 3 of the first box) range from the early(ish), the Nusch-Nuschi Dances, op 20, from 1921, through the Concert Music for Strings and Brass, op. 50 from 1939, to the Symphony "Die Harmonie der Welt" from 1951 (the only work on this disc I already knew).

It might be that I'm simply just in the right mood for this kind of thing, but I'm finding this really good!  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on September 15, 2021, 11:43:46 AM
More from the three sets of Hindemith's complete orchestral music on the CPO label I bought early this summer:

The works on this CD (No. 3 of the first box) range from the early(ish), the Nusch-Nuschi Dances, op 20, from 1921, through the Concert Music for Strings and Brass, op. 50 from 1939, to the Symphony "Die Harmonie der Welt" from 1951 (the only work on this disc I already knew).

It might be that I'm simply just in the right mood for this kind of thing, but I'm finding this really good!  :)

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

2 versions of the January 20, 1944 concert in which Willem Mengelberg conducted the Grand Orchestre de Radio-Paris in Tchaikovsky's Pathétique Symphony : one is issued on the Malibran label, the other by Yves St-Laurent on his own label. Malibran has filtered out most of the heavy hiss and crackles but by doing so the high frequencies have been tamed substantially, a pity especially in an orchestral recording of a french ensemble whose timbres were so individual, so highly different from other orchestras. The tang and bite of the bassoons, horns and trumpets in particular has been reduced. The YSL restoration takes some time getting used to because of the heavy surface noise, but what is revealed is a vibrancy, an immediacy that shows how remarkable the orchestra was. The timpanist was Pierre Dervaux, the first cello Paul Tortelier, no less.

I have both COA Mengelberg Pathétiques (1937 and 1941) and this one from Paris is substantially different, the funebre and lamentoso aspects absolutely shattering, especially in the long (12 minutes) finale. The particular circumstances of the recording were certainly not lost on the musicians or the public ( https://thecanadian.news/2020/12/30/in-the-furrows-of-history/). Mengelberg would conduct in Paris right up to the Liberation, his last concert for life being with this same orchestra in Beethoven's 9th symphony. He never stepped on a podium again.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 15, 2021, 06:08:22 AM
Bartok: 1st Violin Sonata.

A concert performance in the Grand Hall of the Moscow Conservatoire.
I had missed this!  Cool Irons!  Will have to look for that one!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

classicalgeek

Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, part two (all on Spotify):

Mutter still has a hold on first place, but Perlman and Zukerman are close behind. Also really enjoyed Faust (thanks for the recommendation, John!), perhaps not as much as the top three, but she brings a lot to the piece. Shaham missed the mark for me, but his performance did have some nice moments. He has another recording out with David Robertson and the Staatskapelle Dresden, which I haven't heard.

Overall, of the eight I've heard in the last two days, I'd rank them thus, in case anyone is curious:
1. Mutter/Levine
2. Perlman/Ozawa
3. Zukerman/Boulez
4. Faust/Abbado
5. Steinbacher/Nelsons
6. Stern/Bernstein
7. Shaham/Tilson Thomas
8. Kremer/C. Davis
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

ritter

Now on to Ernst Krenek. Piano music (with composition dates covering the period from 1922 to 1958, and spanning 153 opus numbers!) played by Geoffrey Douglas Madge.

I hadn't pulled this particular CD from my shelves in at least 25 IIRC. It's rather good  ;)

André

The 4th. I had forgotten how beautiful the work is, very much comparable to its big sister, the 5th.

Karl Henning

CD 26:

"Wolferl"
Horn Concerto № 3 in Eb, K. 447
Horn Concerto № 2 in Eb, K. 417
Oboe Concerto in C, K.314 (271k)
Bassoon Concerto in Bb, K. 191 (186e)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 15, 2021, 12:44:36 PM
Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, part two (all on Spotify):

Mutter still has a hold on first place, but Perlman and Zukerman are close behind. Also really enjoyed Faust (thanks for the recommendation, John!), perhaps not as much as the top three, but she brings a lot to the piece. Shaham missed the mark for me, but his performance did have some nice moments. He has another recording out with David Robertson and the Staatskapelle Dresden, which I haven't heard.

Overall, of the eight I've heard in the last two days, I'd rank them thus, in case anyone is curious:
1. Mutter/Levine
2. Perlman/Ozawa
3. Zukerman/Boulez
4. Faust/Abbado
5. Steinbacher/Nelsons
6. Stern/Bernstein
7. Shaham/Tilson Thomas
8. Kremer/C. Davis

Good to hear you enjoyed the Faust/Abbado performance, but glad to see Mutter/Levine in your top spot. It's definitely the best performance I've heard bar none.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA