Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

After my Berg Violin Concerto listen-a-thon, back to Janacek. More of these delightful suites from his operas:

His sound world is unmistakable - squealing clarinets, pealing trumpets, subterranean trombones, high timpani - and I love it!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Now playing this entire recording:

The only work I've heard on this recording is Sieben Worte, which is a stunning piece. Enjoying these other two works as well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on September 15, 2021, 01:16:22 PM

The 4th. I had forgotten how beautiful the work is, very much comparable to its big sister, the 5th.

A great piece and performance. Love it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on September 15, 2021, 11:43:46 AM
More from the three sets of Hindemith's complete orchestral music on the CPO label I bought early this summer:

The works on this CD (No. 3 of the first box) range from the early(ish), the Nusch-Nuschi Dances, op 20, from 1921, through the Concert Music for Strings and Brass, op. 50 from 1939, to the Symphony "Die Harmonie der Welt" from 1951 (the only work on this disc I already knew).

It might be that I'm simply just in the right mood for this kind of thing, but I'm finding this really good!  :)

Wonderful to read, Rafael. I have a huge respect for Hindemith and his music. He wrote some utterly fantastic works.

foxandpeng

Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

First music of the day, and first concentrated hearing of Symphony #5
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 01:18:20 AM
Stenhammar: Symphony No.2
A marvellous recording, which has restored my faith in this work.

Marvellous recording? Yes. Marvellous performance? It could be, but I don't feel it was that special.

Just my two cents.  :D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 03:25:42 PM
A great piece and performance. Love it.

Curious. I heard it the other day. I can't say it has hooked me yet. I think it's rather languid and meandering. The good parts are scarce IMO. Silvestrov's style has huge profoundness, his symphonies are featured by being very human and psychological, but I just need more bite and action.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Carwithen: Concerto for Piano and Strings

Unquestionably enchanting! A hidden gem IMO.

Foulds: Keltic Suite

I just played the first movement The Clans. Eminently cheerful, frolicsome, and also rather forgettable at the end. A shame.

Noam Chomsky

Brahmsian

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 15, 2021, 03:47:45 PM
Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

Will be on my listen list for tomorrow!

classicalgeek

Just finished the first three movements of this (I think I downloaded this years ago):

I don't think I've heard Mahler done in Russia before, even though I have Kondrashin's almost-cycle and Svetlanov's cycle on download. It's interesting to hear what they do, but it's not competitive with my favorite performances. Still, it does have some nice moments (the woodwinds at the beginning of the third movement are quite fine!)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 04:25:28 PM
Will be on my listen list for tomorrow!

That's a good one. The ones with which I struggle the most are Nos. 4 and 8. The others have stunning music too.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

This special 3500 post is dedicated to these 6 important symphonies for me, which are so close to my tastes:

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No. 5
Granville Bantock: A Celtic Symphony
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 7
Eduard Tubin: Symphony No. 3
Vagn Holmboe: Sinfonia In Memoriam
Rued Langgaard: Symphony No. 4

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Spurred on by my Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, just completed:
Leonard Bernstein
Serenade
Philippe Quint, violin
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop

(on Spotify)

I think it's the first time I've listened to this piece... maybe ever, I can't say for sure. Needless to say, I'm *blown away*. By the propulsive rhythms in the outer movements, by the sheer beauty of the more lyrical moments, by Bernstein's dazzling orchestration... just... wow!

I listened with the score - it's available for free here: https://www.boosey.com/cr/perusals (you'll need to create an account.) A splendid performance by Quint and Alsop, and I look forward to listening to the composer's own performances with Isaac Stern and Gidon Kremer. My new favorite work for violin and orchestra? It just may be.

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 15, 2021, 05:41:39 PM
Spurred on by my Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, just completed:
Leonard Bernstein
Serenade
Philippe Quint, violin
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop

(on Spotify)

I think it's the first time I've listened to this piece... maybe ever, I can't say for sure. Needless to say, I'm *blown away*. By the propulsive rhythms in the outer movements, by the sheer beauty of the more lyrical moments, by Bernstein's dazzling orchestration... just... wow!

I listened with the score - it's available for free here: https://www.boosey.com/cr/perusals (you'll need to create an account.) A splendid performance by Quint and Alsop, and I look forward to listening to the composer's own performances with Isaac Stern and Gidon Kremer. My new favorite work for violin and orchestra? It just may be.

Oh yes, it's a marvelous piece, classicalgeek. I'd skip the Issac Stern and go straight for the Francescatti/Bernstein now this is a performance for the ages. The Kremer/Bernstein is also interesting. I also like Hahn/Zinman and Gluzman/Neschling.

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 15, 2021, 03:47:45 PM
Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

Nice! 8)

Mirror Image

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings [Disc 3]

Symphonic Addict

A knock-out of a performance! This coruscating rendition manages to combine imposing majesty and muscular impetuosity quite succesfully. I think the "moderato" tempo Horenstein dictates here makes much sense, it feels more natural and organic. The timpani and the percussion overall are just overwhelming, with a rather in-your-face feeling. This could be my favorite recording ever of this towering masterpiece. It gets a "WOW!" stamp from me. Spectacular to say the least. I'm even more enamoured of this work now. No doubts it's the symphony of my most cherished preferences.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

If I were Bantock, I would dedicate this unbearably lovely creation (A Celtic Symphony) to my immortal beloved. Squeezingly gorgeous.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The Symphony No. 7 receives here a noble and bold interpretation from all involved. The key of C major wasn't assigned in vain. It expresses the purity of Finland, the humble spirit of its creator. I don't get the idea as to why I hadn't liked this work when I started discovering Sibelius 14 years ago. The language is totally approachable, stately, distinctive. All in all, a fabulous symphony.

Noam Chomsky