Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1731601 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49500 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »
Now on to Ernst Krenek. Piano music (with composition dates covering the period from 1922 to 1958, and spanning 153 opus numbers!) played by Geoffrey Douglas Madge.

I hadn’t pulled this particular CD from my shelves in at least 25 IIRC. It’s rather good  ;)
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #49501 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »

The 4th. I had forgotten how beautiful the work is, very much comparable to its big sister, the 5th.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #49502 on: September 15, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
CD 26:

“Wolferl”
Horn Concerto № 3 in Eb, K. 447
Horn Concerto № 2 in Eb, K. 417
Oboe Concerto in C, K.314 (271k)
Bassoon Concerto in Bb, K. 191 (186e)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #49503 on: September 15, 2021, 12:37:21 PM »
Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, part two (all on Spotify):

Mutter still has a hold on first place, but Perlman and Zukerman are close behind. Also really enjoyed Faust (thanks for the recommendation, John!), perhaps not as much as the top three, but she brings a lot to the piece. Shaham missed the mark for me, but his performance did have some nice moments. He has another recording out with David Robertson and the Staatskapelle Dresden, which I haven't heard.

Overall, of the eight I've heard in the last two days, I'd rank them thus, in case anyone is curious:
1. Mutter/Levine
2. Perlman/Ozawa
3. Zukerman/Boulez
4. Faust/Abbado
5. Steinbacher/Nelsons
6. Stern/Bernstein
7. Shaham/Tilson Thomas
8. Kremer/C. Davis

Good to hear you enjoyed the Faust/Abbado performance, but glad to see Mutter/Levine in your top spot. It’s definitely the best performance I’ve heard bar none.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #49504 on: September 15, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BaQ7B2kjuNM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BaQ7B2kjuNM</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #49505 on: September 15, 2021, 01:11:43 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lA_KSkRE488&amp;t=4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lA_KSkRE488&amp;t=4s</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #49506 on: September 15, 2021, 01:28:23 PM »
After my Berg Violin Concerto listen-a-thon, back to Janacek. More of these delightful suites from his operas:

His sound world is unmistakable - squealing clarinets, pealing trumpets, subterranean trombones, high timpani - and I love it!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49507 on: September 15, 2021, 01:32:44 PM »
Now playing this entire recording:

The only work I’ve heard on this recording is Sieben Worte, which is a stunning piece. Enjoying these other two works as well.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49508 on: September 15, 2021, 02:25:42 PM »

The 4th. I had forgotten how beautiful the work is, very much comparable to its big sister, the 5th.

A great piece and performance. Love it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49509 on: September 15, 2021, 02:27:06 PM »
More from the three sets of Hindemith’s complete orchestral music on the CPO label I bought early this summer:

The works on this CD (No. 3 of the first box) range from the early(ish), the Nusch-Nuschi Dances, op 20, from 1921, through the Concert Music for Strings and Brass, op. 50 from 1939, to the Symphony “Die Harmonie der Welt” from 1951 (the only work on this disc I already knew).

It might be that I’m simply just in the right mood for this kind of thing, but I’m finding this really good!  :)

Wonderful to read, Rafael. I have a huge respect for Hindemith and his music. He wrote some utterly fantastic works.

Offline foxandpeng

Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #49510 on: September 15, 2021, 02:47:45 PM »
Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

First music of the day, and first concentrated hearing of Symphony #5
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:53:00 PM by foxandpeng »
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49511 on: September 15, 2021, 03:08:02 PM »
Stenhammar: Symphony No.2
A marvellous recording, which has restored my faith in this work.

Marvellous recording? Yes. Marvellous performance? It could be, but I don't feel it was that special.

Just my two cents.  :D
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49512 on: September 15, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
A great piece and performance. Love it.

Curious. I heard it the other day. I can't say it has hooked me yet. I think it's rather languid and meandering. The good parts are scarce IMO. Silvestrov's style has huge profoundness, his symphonies are featured by being very human and psychological, but I just need more bite and action.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49513 on: September 15, 2021, 03:19:50 PM »
Carwithen: Concerto for Piano and Strings

Unquestionably enchanting! A hidden gem IMO.

Foulds: Keltic Suite

I just played the first movement The Clans. Eminently cheerful, frolicsome, and also rather forgettable at the end. A shame.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:22:34 PM by Symphonic Addict »

Carl Nielsen

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #49514 on: September 15, 2021, 03:25:28 PM »
Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

First music of the day, and first concentrated hearing of Symphony #5

Will be on my listen list for tomorrow!

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #49515 on: September 15, 2021, 03:25:58 PM »
Just finished the first three movements of this (I think I downloaded this years ago):

I don't think I've heard Mahler done in Russia before, even though I have Kondrashin's almost-cycle and Svetlanov's cycle on download. It's interesting to hear what they do, but it's not competitive with my favorite performances. Still, it does have some nice moments (the woodwinds at the beginning of the third movement are quite fine!)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49516 on: September 15, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »
Will be on my listen list for tomorrow!

That's a good one. The ones with which I struggle the most are Nos. 4 and 8. The others have stunning music too.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49517 on: September 15, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
This special 3500 post is dedicated to these 6 important symphonies for me, which are so close to my tastes:

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No. 5
Granville Bantock: A Celtic Symphony
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 7
Eduard Tubin: Symphony No. 3
Vagn Holmboe: Sinfonia In Memoriam
Rued Langgaard: Symphony No. 4

Carl Nielsen

Offline classicalgeek

« Reply #49518 on: September 15, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »
Spurred on by my Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, just completed:
Leonard Bernstein
Serenade
Philippe Quint, violin
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop

(on Spotify)

I think it's the first time I've listened to this piece... maybe ever, I can't say for sure. Needless to say, I'm *blown away*. By the propulsive rhythms in the outer movements, by the sheer beauty of the more lyrical moments, by Bernstein's dazzling orchestration... just... wow!

I listened with the score - it's available for free here: https://www.boosey.com/cr/perusals (you'll need to create an account.) A splendid performance by Quint and Alsop, and I look forward to listening to the composer's own performances with Isaac Stern and Gidon Kremer. My new favorite work for violin and orchestra? It just may be.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:47:33 PM by classicalgeek »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49519 on: September 15, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »
Spurred on by my Berg Violin Concerto listening binge, just completed:
Leonard Bernstein
Serenade
Philippe Quint, violin
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop

(on Spotify)

I think it's the first time I've listened to this piece... maybe ever, I can't say for sure. Needless to say, I'm *blown away*. By the propulsive rhythms in the outer movements, by the sheer beauty of the more lyrical moments, by Bernstein's dazzling orchestration... just... wow!

I listened with the score - it's available for free here: https://www.boosey.com/cr/perusals (you'll need to create an account.) A splendid performance by Quint and Alsop, and I look forward to listening to the composer's own performances with Isaac Stern and Gidon Kremer. My new favorite work for violin and orchestra? It just may be.

Oh yes, it’s a marvelous piece, classicalgeek. I’d skip the Issac Stern and go straight for the Francescatti/Bernstein now this is a performance for the ages. The Kremer/Bernstein is also interesting. I also like Hahn/Zinman and Gluzman/Neschling.