What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

The Symphony No. 3 Heroic was love at first hearing to me. The wistful tune in the oboe with which it starts out is a strong reason to be hooked by this beauty. I haven't realized it gets better with each listen.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Holmboe on his Sinfonia In Memoriam demonstrates the mastery and recognizable power he knew how to stamp in his works. A thrilling and valedictory work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Not my favorite performance of the Symphony No. 4. This emphasizes its angular sides, but lacks majesty and gracefulness. Ilya Stupel with the Anton Rubinstein PO (Danacord) remains my favorite recording and performance. All what I want is there.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP:

Annie-Sophie Mutter/John Williams: Across The Stars

Absolutely exquisite.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 15, 2021, 07:22:47 PM

A knock-out of a performance! This coruscating rendition manages to combine imposing majesty and muscular impetuosity quite succesfully. I think the "moderato" tempo Horenstein dictates here makes much sense, it feels more natural and organic. The timpani and the percussion overall are just overwhelming, with a rather in-your-face feeling. This could be my favorite recording ever of this towering masterpiece. It gets a "WOW!" stamp from me. Spectacular to say the least. I'm even more enamoured of this work now. No doubts it's the symphony of my most cherished preferences.
I agree Cesar! The anarchic side-drummer is most impressive (as is the one on Barbirolli's recording - which I think you would also enjoy).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 15, 2021, 07:45:38 PM

Not my favorite performance of the Symphony No. 4. This emphasizes its angular sides, but lacks majesty and gracefulness. Ilya Stupel with the Anton Rubinstein PO (Danacord) remains my favorite recording and performance. All what I want is there.
I like the Jarvi recording as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 15, 2021, 07:41:27 PM

The Symphony No. 3 Heroic was love at first hearing to me. The wistful tune in the oboe with which it starts out is a strong reason to be hooked by this beauty. I haven't realized it gets better with each listen.
+1

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2021, 07:13:01 PM
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings [Disc 3]

Looks like a great set John.

Que

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 15, 2021, 12:30:17 PM
I had missed this!  Cool Irons!  Will have to look for that one!  :)

PD

Incredible performance. Oh, to be in the audience.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Froberger

Vol 3

CD 2 ( conclusion Suites of the Libro Quarto)

The new erato

PD

I have Oistrakh/Gilels in a similar live performance on a Melodiya LP of Shostakovich' op 134 sonata. It is absolutely hairraising.

Pohjolas Daughter

PD
Irons,

I wonder if it might have been from this same concert?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakdQno0t0Y

I'll see whether or not I can also find a link for the Prokofiev....Ah!  Looks like a found the whole concert!  It's from 29th March, 1972.  Does that jibe with any dates on the back of your LP?

Here's the whole concert (if you or anyone else is wanting to watch it here):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWUlpMFFAg

PD

p.s.  Hope to listen to it later on today---a bit early here for Bartok for me!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Wallowing in Bach's Partitas.

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Watching this wonderful concert from Moscow from 29 March 1972 with Sviatoslav Richter and David Oistrakh.  A passionate Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 2 followed by Bartok's Violin Sonata No. 1.  And guess who else is there in the audience?  If you decide to watch it, look who they pan to in the audience applauding after the Bartok.  :)

I'll take a short intermission and then will watch the rest of the concert (Prokofiev's Violin Sonata No. 1, followed by a couple of movements from other works.

Concert is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWUlpMFFAg

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

A first listen to Brahms' Schicksalslied.

Herreweghe / Collegium Vocale Gent.

Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 16, 2021, 05:13:39 AM
A first listen to Brahms' Schicksalslied.

Herreweghe / Collegium Vocale Gent.

Nice! My favourite of Brahms' choral works.

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 16, 2021, 05:14:37 AM
Nice! My favourite of Brahms' choral works.

It is quite an astounding work, Ray. I'll replay it sooner rather later.

TD:

Malcolm Arnold
Symphony no.5
(Handley, Royal Philarmonic Orchestra)
Olivier

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 15, 2021, 05:29:41 PM
This special 3500 post is dedicated to these 6 important symphonies for me, which are so close to my tastes:

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No. 5
Granville Bantock: A Celtic Symphony
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 7
Eduard Tubin: Symphony No. 3
Vagn Holmboe: Sinfonia In Memoriam
Rued Langgaard: Symphony No. 4

This is great, Cesar. You just gave me the impulse to listen to these works, too !  :)