Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1605535 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Alexander Glazunov (1865 - 1936)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Tchaikovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Sibelius, Nielsen, Mahler, Bruckner, R. Strauss, Dvořák, Respighi, Vaughan Williams
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49560 on: September 16, 2021, 05:45:16 AM »
NP:

Martinů
Viola Sonata, H. 355
Alexander Besa - viola, Petra Besa - piano

"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #49561 on: September 16, 2021, 05:50:26 AM »
Sorry!

I wonder what the post-concert backstage conversations were like between him and Richter and Oistrakh (just guessing that he went to see them afterwards)?  Or if they went out afterwards?

PD

Probably it was something along the lines of
"Dmitri, did you notice if they had any beets at the market today?"
"No Sviatoslav, they haven't come in yet."
"That's too bad, I'm getting tired of cabbage."

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #49562 on: September 16, 2021, 05:59:04 AM »
Revisiting the (composer's own) "black and white" versions of two favourite Stravinsky works, Agon and the Scherzo à la russe (played by the Bugallo-Williams piano duo):

Fascinating and really enjoyable (although I do miss the mandolin in Agon  ;)  ;D)
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #49563 on: September 16, 2021, 06:24:36 AM »
Revisiting a favorite early music disc:

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #49564 on: September 16, 2021, 07:00:11 AM »
I suspect that they probably faired better than a lot of the "common" folk, but I don't know.  If you wrote or performed something that the government didn't approve of, life could suddenly get very, very "rough".

NP:

Martinů
Viola Sonata, H. 355
Alexander Besa - viola, Petra Besa - piano

That's a very nice album.  I love so many of the albums that Supraphon has issued over the years.  :)

PD

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • Favorites colours deep violet, Burgundy, Navy Blue
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #49565 on: September 16, 2021, 07:12:55 AM »

You're a man of taste this is excquisite for sure , me I just received in the mail, Sigismondo D'India Volch'ascoltate Ensemble Poiésis Marion Fourquier this is an awesome release on ZIG ZAG, very pretty stuff, marveleous  CD  :P

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #49566 on: September 16, 2021, 07:24:17 AM »
Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

First music of the day, and first concentrated hearing of Symphony #5

Listening to this, right now.  A fantastic work.  Although uniquely Penderecki, I hear some shades of a hybrid Shostakovich 2nd and 11th symphony (sans vocals).  That's just me.

Also listened to Symphony No. 1 earlier, and it is quite a contrasting work to # 5, still in the avant-garde vein, but a bit more on the "approachable" side compared to his other avant-garde work. 

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #49567 on: September 16, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »
I suspect that they probably faired better than a lot of the "common" folk, but I don't know.  If you wrote or performed something that the government didn't approve of, life could suddenly get very, very "rough".

"Dmitri, did you notice if they had any real sturgeon caviar at the central committee commissary today?"
"No Sviatoslav, they only have the salmon caviar."
"How do they expected us to make a great performance without sturgeon caviar, Dimitri?"
"I don't know. Benjamin Britten told me he has to eat mushy peas 7 days a week, that's probably why his music is so weak."

DavidW

« Reply #49568 on: September 16, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
I tend to shy away from solo organ music, but I really ought to familiarize myself with Bach’s.

I also recommend Mendelssohn, Messiaen, and Hindemith for solo organ music.

Offline foxandpeng

Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #49569 on: September 16, 2021, 08:18:29 AM »
Listening to this, right now.  A fantastic work.  Although uniquely Penderecki, I hear some shades of a hybrid Shostakovich 2nd and 11th symphony (sans vocals).  That's just me.

Also listened to Symphony No. 1 earlier, and it is quite a contrasting work to # 5, still in the avant-garde vein, but a bit more on the "approachable" side compared to his other avant-garde work.

I'm also hearing Symphony #5 again now. We have a fortnight off work to prep for putting our house on the market, so my listening is somewhat reduced atm, but this symphony is now likely to be forever known as The Spider Symphony. I played it in the car earlier when making a trip to the tip, and the largest spider in the entire universe appeared on the dashboard from the garden rubbish, causing me to react like a teenage girl, screaming like a man possessed. I had to stop the car to let my wife bravely evict it while I stood on the other side of the road. Putting it on again now, led her to exclaim that 'this is that spider symphony, isn't it?'.

I am ashamed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:21:34 AM by foxandpeng »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49570 on: September 16, 2021, 08:26:07 AM »
Strauss Graduation Ball

This recording is also available on Decca Elquence.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49571 on: September 16, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »

A gemm!  :)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #49572 on: September 16, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
I'm also hearing Symphony #5 again now. We have a fortnight off work to prep for putting our house on the market, so my listening is somewhat reduced atm, but this symphony is now likely to be forever known as The Spider Symphony. I played it in the car earlier when making a trip to the tip, and the largest spider in the entire universe appeared on the dashboard from the garden rubbish, causing me to react like a teenage girl, screaming like a man possessed. I had to stop the car to let my wife bravely evict it while I stood on the other side of the road. Putting it on again now, led her to exclaim that 'this is that spider symphony, isn't it?'.

I am ashamed.
:laugh:  But, seriously, we all have our phobias.   :)

Good luck with your prepping!  What kind of new digs will you be moving into?  And have you found anything yet?

PD

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #49573 on: September 16, 2021, 09:55:51 AM »
Revisiting Saint-Saens "Urbs Roma" symphony and Bizet "Roma" symphony back to back so I can remember which is which. Neither is intensely or strongly Roman in character, although there are rustic dance type tunes in (respectively) CSS' scherzo and GB's finale. CSS' piece ends quietly. There are some moments of cheesy/cringey harmony at times in the Bizet, a little bit amateurish/youthful, while the CSS is already quite polished. Neither is unforgettable, but both are pleasant. Overall I probably like CSS better but Bizet's finale is the best movement of the eight.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #49574 on: September 16, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »
Surprisingly, there was no slogging on my part. :) There’s only three discs in The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. One has to remember these were long films, so there was quite a bit of music composed for them. The longest is The Return of the King as it has four discs. But make no mistake, there is much beautiful music to found here. I’m glad to own the complete soundtracks, though, I couldn’t imagine buying the one disc versions and being satisfied with all of the selections.

That's the wonderful thing about GMG: the variety of musical passions. Would I ever have given Myaskovsky a second thought, but for Harry and Jeffrey? I am forced to doubt it.
I certainly remember them being long movies, I doubt I should ever forget 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #49575 on: September 16, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »

A Russian tiring of cabbage? I'll never believe it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49576 on: September 16, 2021, 10:02:08 AM »

I am ashamed.
OT
Years ago our cat brought in a small frog from the garden. The frog disappeared behind a dresser. I had to remove all the crockery etc from the dresser to access the frog. When I asked my young daughter to assist she was most unhelpful, resulting in me angrily saying 'for goodness sake stop making such a fuss - it's just a tiny frog'. At that moment the frog leapt out from behind the dresser and I screamed and fell backwards into the piled up crockery sending everything cascading over the floor. My daughter has never let me forget this incident.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49577 on: September 16, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
Alwyn: Symphony No.3, RPO, Beecham, premiere performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #49578 on: September 16, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »

I am ashamed.

Perhaps there is something to Penderecki and spiders?

The reason I say that is there is a part in Penderecki's Polymorphia that gives me a vision of a gargantuan spider crawling along on a hardwood floor.  :-\

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #49579 on: September 16, 2021, 10:22:51 AM »
Revisiting Saint-Saens "Urbs Roma" symphony and Bizet "Roma" symphony back to back so I can remember which is which. Neither is intensely or strongly Roman in character, although there are rustic dance type tunes in (respectively) CSS' scherzo and GB's finale. CSS' piece ends quietly. There are some moments of cheesy/cringey harmony at times in the Bizet, a little bit amateurish/youthful, while the CSS is already quite polished. Neither is unforgettable, but both are pleasant. Overall I probably like CSS better but Bizet's finale is the best movement of the eight.

Interesting, Brian. I didn't even know Bizet composed another symphony outside of his famous C major Symphony.