What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Daverz and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

DavidW

Classicalgeek try this one, I really like it:

classicalgeek

Just had my second listen to Bernstein's Serenade in as many days:
Leonard Bernstein
Serenade
Hilary Hahn, violin
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
David Zinman

{on Spotify)

Quint/Alsop were an excellent introduction to the work, but in terms of firepower and sheer virtuosity, they're no match for Hahn/Zinman. Hilary Hahn is note-perfect as usual, and Zinman has the Baltimore Symphony on top of its game. I'll keep on listening to other performances, but I can't imagine anyone doing better than Hahn/Zinman!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

classicalgeek

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2021, 02:03:18 PM
Classicalgeek try this one, I really like it:

Thanks, David! I'll add Belohlavek to my ones to sample. Maybe I'll do a second listen with six different performances than the ones I used the first time around!

classicalgeek

Just finished, on Spotify:
Martinů
Symphony no. 1
Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Järvi

Excellent as expected!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 10:11:40 PM
I agree Cesar! The anarchic side-drummer is most impressive (as is the one on Barbirolli's recording - which I think you would also enjoy).

Yeah, that side-drummer was on fire! How could I miss this smoking performance all this time??

I do want to listen to that recording, Jeffrey. I shall investigate about it. Thank you.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 10:12:25 PM
I like the Jarvi recording as well.

Me too, Jeffrey. The another one on Danacord is satisfying and poetic as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on September 16, 2021, 05:40:48 AM
This is great, Cesar. You just gave me the impulse to listen to these works, too !  :)

Good luck, André!  :)

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Disparate works I was reminded of by forum posts:

Symphonic Addict

Eller: The Singing Fields

What a joy of a work this symphonic poem is. There is something of Sibelius here that provides a lovely sense of naturalness.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 16, 2021, 08:21:57 PM
Eller: The Singing Fields

What a joy of a work this symphonic poem is. There is something of Sibelius here that provides a lovely sense of naturalness.

+1

Early morning listening before work:
Sauguet: Symphony No.1 'Expiatoire'

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 16, 2021, 06:02:39 PM
Yeah, that side-drummer was on fire! How could I miss this smoking performance all this time??

I do want to listen to that recording, Jeffrey. I shall investigate about it. Thank you.
This is the CD Cesar:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Just arrived, very expressive and indeed dramatic Credo. Stimmwerck as always are impeccable.  The Cinquecento Heinrich Isaac release has prompted me to make an effort to explore German Renaissance music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2021, 04:58:32 AM
Watching this wonderful concert from Moscow from 29 March 1972 with Sviatoslav Richter and David Oistrakh.  A passionate Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 2 followed by Bartok's Violin Sonata No. 1.  And guess who else is there in the audience?  If you decide to watch it, look who they pan to in the audience applauding after the Bartok.  :)

I'll take a short intermission and then will watch the rest of the concert (Prokofiev's Violin Sonata No. 1, followed by a couple of movements from other works.

Concert is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWUlpMFFAg

PD

Thanks for link, PD. That I will definitely watch. I have three Melodiya/EMI Richter/Oistrakh live concert LPs - there maybe more.

The Bartok/Prokofiev does not include dates but published by EMI in 1974, so that fits. The Franck/Brahms 3 was from same venue on 28th December 1968. The Shostakovich is again the Grand Hall from May 1969.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Alfonso Ferrabosco, the Younger.

Consort Music to the Viols in 4,5,6 parts.

Hesperion XXI. Jordi Savall.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good morning all.

Buxtehude - sacred cantatas vol.2 /Chandos
(Purcell quartet, Kirkby)
Olivier

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 17, 2021, 12:17:54 AM

Just arrived, very expressive and indeed dramatic Credo. Stimmwerck as always are impeccable.  The Cinquecento Heinrich Isaac release has prompted me to make an effort to explore German Renaissance music.

It's a nice recording, primarily due to the superb performances of Stimmwerck.

Que

Papy Oli

JS Bach

English Suite No.5, BWV 810
French Suite No.3, BWV 814
Toccata en Sol Mineur, BWV 915

(Rannou)
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on September 16, 2021, 02:41:42 AM
I have Oistrakh/Gilels in a similar live performance on a Melodiya LP of Shostakovich' op 134 sonata. It is absolutely hairraising.
Sorry, I had missed your post earlier.

Oh, neat!  Trying to find a copy of the cover, but am having problems with that.  Would you mind finding and posting an image of it?  Or a link to one?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
OT
Years ago our cat brought in a small frog from the garden. The frog disappeared behind a dresser. I had to remove all the crockery etc from the dresser to access the frog. When I asked my young daughter to assist she was most unhelpful, resulting in me angrily saying 'for goodness sake stop making such a fuss - it's just a tiny frog'. At that moment the frog leapt out from behind the dresser and I screamed and fell backwards into the piled up crockery sending everything cascading over the floor. My daughter has never let me forget this incident.
Oh, nooo! lol  Hope that you weren't left with a pile of broken/chipped crockery....and a laughing frog?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter