What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 16, 2021, 11:51:34 AM
Thanks, PD. Nasty creatures. Yuk.

Well, we downsized about 5 years ago, but sadly COVID-19 has done to us what it has done to so many, and our working patterns going forward will mean that we will both continue to work primarily from home. As a result, we both want a home office each and more space overall - looking to buy something with those things, plus space for a craft room and a music room. Plus the offspring are starting to spread their genetic material, so more space for them to inflict grandparently duties will be required.

Have only just started looking, so haven't found anything yet, but technically we are open to a really wide range of fairly rural locations. We are a commuter couple who have bases about 80 miles apart, but flexible working patterns mean that we don't actually attend an office that often. We do need to think about being vaguely close to one location or equidistant, just for the sake of good sense.

All very frustrating welcome.

Needs must, I guess.

Thread duty:

Johan De Meij
Symphony #1 'The Lord of the Rings'
Peabody Conservatory Wind Ensemble
Harlan D Parker

Good luck with all of that!

Sounds like an interesting CD.  I'm guessing that "The Lord of the Rings" was inspired by the novels?  Or something completely different?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 16, 2021, 12:42:17 PM
A do-it-yourself playlist of Smetana's Ma Vlast on Spotify:

1. Vysehrad
Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi

2. Vltava
Cleveland Orchestra
George Szell

3. Sarka
Staatskapelle Dresden
Paavo Berglund

4. From Bohemia's Woods and Fields
Vienna Philharmonic
Nikolaus Harnoncourt

5. Tabor
Janacek Philharmonic
Theodore Kuchar

6. Blanik
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik

For some reason, I just haven't gotten into these, save for Vltava and maybe From Bohemia's Woods and Fields. Maybe I just haven't found the right recording yet... maybe I need to give Mackerras a listen!
How clever!  This is considered one of "the classics" re "Ma Vlast".  It truly is wonderful.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 16, 2021, 08:21:57 PM
Eller: The Singing Fields

What a joy of a work this symphonic poem is. There is something of Sibelius here that provides a lovely sense of naturalness.

Hello SA

I can't see the image that you posted.  Is this the album that you were playing?  See link:  http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/nov00/eller.htm

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 17, 2021, 12:28:11 AM
Thanks for link, PD. That I will definitely watch. I have three Melodiya/EMI Richter/Oistrakh live concert LPs - there maybe more.

The Bartok/Prokofiev does not include dates but published by EMI in 1974, so that fits. The Franck/Brahms 3 was from same venue on 28th December 1968. The Shostakovich is again the Grand Hall from May 1969.
Thank you for those images and info Irons.  I'll add them onto my phone for when I go out record browsing.  ;D  Hope that you enjoy the concert.  I'll be interested in hearing to about how you find the sound to be vs. on the LP that you had just listened to.  Of course, listening via a computer isn't ideal to begin with!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

On Spotify:

PS Such nice performances!
But recorded live and the included applause after each piece ruins the experience.... >:(

Que

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2021, 03:05:58 AM
How clever!  This is considered one of "the classics" re "Ma Vlast".  It truly is wonderful.  :)

PD

It has that reputation, after with do many accolades I couldn't resist to get it when crossed my path.

A very nice recording, but I'm afraid that in claiming this to be the ultimate performance the special historical circumstances of the performance got the better of most reviewers.

It is an old man's performance: slower and less energetic than I would prefer. it is also not perfectly balanced and with some untidiness - but allowances have to be made for a live recording.

Haven't heard all options, not by a long shot, but personally found Talich's 1954 recording very satifying.
Would be in for a modern Czech performance, so the Belohlavek recommendation is welcome!   :)

Que

This is more like it, with improved recording and more focused programming.
Recommended.

Traverso

Sweelinck

The Complete Keyboard Works

Bernard Winsemius
Leo van Doeselaar
Harald Vogel

Papy Oli

Olivier

Iota

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 16, 2021, 09:18:29 AM
I'm also hearing Symphony #5 again now. We have a fortnight off work to prep for putting our house on the market, so my listening is somewhat reduced atm, but this symphony is now likely to be forever known as The Spider Symphony. I played it in the car earlier when making a trip to the tip, and the largest spider in the entire universe appeared on the dashboard from the garden rubbish, causing me to react like a teenage girl, screaming like a man possessed. I had to stop the car to let my wife bravely evict it while I stood on the other side of the road. Putting it on again now, led her to exclaim that 'this is that spider symphony, isn't it?'.

I am ashamed.

I wouldn't be ashamed, a phobia's a powerful thing. I learnt early on the intensity of feeling associated with such things, as in my early twenties I was working in London and going out with a girl who was temporarily living with my mother in the Home Counties. One night I decided to surprise her and drove down at about 4 in the morning expecting to find her fast asleep, but instead found her standing on a chair in the middle of the dining room looking terrified. She'd been standing there for hours unable to move as there was a spider (out of sight) in the corner of the room, and she hadn't wanted to wake my mother to remove it.
I had no idea at that point she had a phobia of spiders, but it really hit home that night, as she was otherwise absolutely fearless, high-kicked her way through Oxford, went on to edit a national magazine etc, but with a spider anywhere in her vicinity, she became more or less immobilised with fear.

I always liked the Milton quote - "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.." as it seems to perfectly express the raw power of the mind involved in such instances (as well as many others).

On topic:

Dutilleux: 3 Préludes

This alternates between interesting and just okay, the just okay stuff being largely in the third prelude. Not sure if he's written more stuff in the interesting non-tonal harmonic language of the first two, I certainly find it appealing. I guess a search is due.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 17, 2021, 04:22:24 AM
Brahms - Violin Sonatas

Very nice. You are on a major Brahms binge!  :)

Any particular pieces that have stood out for you so far?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on September 17, 2021, 03:43:18 AM
It has that reputation, after with do many accolades I couldn't resist to get it when crossed my path.

A very nice recording, but I'm afraid that in claiming this to be the ultimate performance the special historical circumstances of the performance got the better of most reviewers.

It is an old man's performance: slower and less energetic than I would prefer. it is also not perfectly balanced and with some untidiness - but allowances have to be made for a live recording.

Haven't heard all options, not by a long shot, but personally found Talich's 1954 recording very satifying.
Would be in for a modern Czech performance, so the Belohlavek recommendation is welcome!   :)

Haven't heard Talich's recording of it (I do have a handful from that Special Edition), but will keep an eye out for it.  Interesting your comments regarding "ultimate performance"...and possibly a good idea for a different thread:  I don't think that there is really such a thing as an ultimate recording though I do think that regarding the Kubelik one that it is one of those up there for a number of reasons--including the special historic significance.  In any event, I've quite enjoyed listening to it in the past.

And, yes, it is good too to hear modern/contemporary recordings of classic works.  Will try to find the Belohlavek to sample on youtube.  And, if you do purchase it, please share with us how you find it to be.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 17, 2021, 04:32:26 AM
Very nice. You are on a major Brahms binge!  :)

Any particular pieces that have stood out for you so far?

Quite ! It is an other key unlocking or evolution of my tastes, this one, Ray.

I always used to find Brahms depressing or boring, or both, with some exceptions when listening to his symphonies and some piano music. His chamber music always left me cold in previous attempts. No idea why. Now, it's just gorgeous throughout.

Schickalslied, the Clarinet Quintet, the Clarinet sonatas, the first String Sextet really stood out so far but the rest isn't too shabby either  ;D

I have some more first listens still ahead: Piano quintet, the Lieder, the String quintets, the Hungarian Dances at least

And some works to revisit: Piano Trios, String Quartets, Symphonies and overtures/variations, Requiem, Piano music, Violin Concerto.
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 17, 2021, 05:31:51 AM
Quite ! It is an other key unlocking or evolution of my tastes, this one, Ray.

I always used to find Brahms depressing or boring, or both, with some exceptions when listening to his symphonies and some piano music. His chamber music always left me cold in previous attempts. No idea why. Now, it's just gorgeous throughout.

Schickalslied, the Clarinet Quintet, the Clarinet sonatas, the first String Sextet really stood out so far but the rest isn't too shabby either  ;D

I have some more first listens still ahead: Piano quintet, the Lieder, the String quintets, the Hungarian Dances at least

And some works to revisit: Piano Trios, String Quartets, Symphonies and overtures/variations, Requiem, Piano music, Violin Concerto.

Brahms is a composer I constantly struggle with and I've taken long breaks with his music only to come back and end up at square one again.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 17, 2021, 05:31:51 AM

Those are some of my favourites, Olivier!

Add to that the 1st and 3rd piano quartets.

And love the viola version of the clarinet sonatas equally.  :)

Brahmsian

Maybe after I've completed my Penderecki binge, I'll palate cleanse with a Brahms binge.  :D

As it has been awhile.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 17, 2021, 05:54:18 AM
Brahms is a composer I constantly struggle with and I've taken long breaks with his music only to come back and end up at square one again.

Hopefully one day, John   :)

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 17, 2021, 05:56:06 AM
Those are some of my favourites, Olivier!
Add to that the 1st and 3rd piano quartets.

And love the viola version of the clarinet sonatas equally.  :)

ok noted thank you, I have the 1st with Argerich and the 2nd with Richter in their boxset. I'll seek a 3rd as well as the viola versions.

TD:

A Berlioz assortment from the Fremaux box :

- Le Carnaval romain, Overture
- Tristia III. Marche funèbre pour la dernière scène d'Hamlet
- La Damnation de Faust I. Marche hongroise
- La Damnation de Faust II. Danse des sylphes
- La Damnation de Faust III. Menuet des follets
Olivier

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 15, 2021, 04:10:56 PM
Curious. I heard it the other day. I can't say it has hooked me yet. I think it's rather languid and meandering. The good parts are scarce IMO. Silvestrov's style has huge profoundness, his symphonies are featured by being very human and psychological, but I just need more bite and action.

Agreed. I can't say Silvestrov's music appeals to me at all....
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 15, 2021, 04:19:50 PM
Carwithen: Concerto for Piano and Strings

Unquestionably enchanting! A hidden gem IMO.

Foulds: Keltic Suite

I just played the first movement The Clans. Eminently cheerful, frolicsome, and also rather forgettable at the end. A shame.

+1 for the Carwithen, but you missed out on what is by far the best movement of the Foulds Keltic Suite, the 2nd movement Lament. It has an unforgettably beautiful main theme!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2021, 03:02:11 AM
Good luck with all of that!

Sounds like an interesting CD.  I'm guessing that "The Lord of the Rings" was inspired by the novels?  Or something completely different?

PD

Thanks,  PD. Yes, indeed. De Meij's Symphony #5 is his Return to Middle Earth. I like his symphonies, probably #2, 1, 3, 5 and 4. Pleasant works which may not be earth-shattering, but are certainly decent enough. His #1 may not have the sweeping strokes of Shore's account, but despite its smaller reach, has much to commend it.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy