What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: Iota on September 17, 2021, 04:27:21 AM
I wouldn't be ashamed, a phobia's a powerful thing. I learnt early on the intensity of feeling associated with such things, as in my early twenties I was working in London and going out with a girl who was temporarily living with my mother in the Home Counties. One night I decided to surprise her and drove down at about 4 in the morning expecting to find her fast asleep, but instead found her standing on a chair in the middle of the dining room looking terrified. She'd been standing there for hours unable to move as there was a spider (out of sight) in the corner of the room, and she hadn't wanted to wake my mother to remove it.
I had no idea at that point she had a phobia of spiders, but it really hit home that night, as she was otherwise absolutely fearless, high-kicked her way through Oxford, went on to edit a national magazine etc, but with a spider anywhere in her vicinity, she became more or less immobilised with fear.

I always liked the Milton quote - "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.." as it seems to perfectly express the raw power of the mind involved in such instances

What a lovely reply, Iota, thank you. I particularly like the Milton quote.

Thread duty:

Alla Pavlova
Symphony #6
Patrick Baton
Tchaikovsky SO
Naxos
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

SonicMan46

Telemann, GP (1681-1767) - Violin Concertos, Vs. 3 & 5 w/ Elizabeth Wallfisch and her period instrument band and:

George Onslow (1784-1853) - String Quintets, Op. 19 & 51 - Cherubini, Luigi (1760-1842) - String Quintet w/ the Diogenes Quartett; amazed that I did not already have the Onslow works (he wrote about 3 dozen in this string genre; only one for Cherubini vs. 6 String Quartets) - all bought for just $8 at JPC's CPO sale - Dave :)

Papy Oli

JS Bach - Cantata BWV 138 (Gardiner)

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2021, 03:15:13 AM
Thank you for those images and info Irons.  I'll add them onto my phone for when I go out record browsing.  ;D  Hope that you enjoy the concert.  I'll be interested in hearing to about how you find the sound to be vs. on the LP that you had just listened to.  Of course, listening via a computer isn't ideal to begin with!

PD

I think some issues with tape speed on the Brahms YT. As for Bartok, sound is irrelevant. The intensity of the performance is mind-blowing, that first movement is akin to free-jazz! What is sonically lost is more then made up by actually seeing musical giants performing, and yes, DSCH liked it too. ;) 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 17, 2021, 08:05:10 AM
JS Bach - Cantata BWV 138 (Gardiner)

Now you're going down the incorrect rabbit hole.  :D ;)

vandermolen

Elgar: Sospiri

Beautifully played and recorded but oddly, IMO, unidiomatic and uninvolved. Barbirolli is much better. The recording is also too spot-lit for my taste. I hope that the rest of the CD is better. There has been much hype about this release:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Elgar

Minuet (From "Brummel"
Dream Children, Two Pieces For Small Orchestra, Op. 43
Salut D'Amour, Op. 12
Conductor – Lawrance Collingwood
Orchestra – The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Minuet, Op. 21
May Song
Rosemary ("That's For Remembrance")
Romance, For Bassoon And Orchestra, Op. 62
Bassoon – Michael Chapman (4)
Sevillana, Op. 7
Sérénade Lyrique
Three Characteristic Pieces, Op. 10
Carissima
Mina
Conductor – Sir Neville Marriner
Orchestra – The Northern Sinfonia Orchestra

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 17, 2021, 06:18:46 AM
Thanks,  PD. Yes, indeed. De Meij's Symphony #5 is his Return to Middle Earth. I like his symphonies, probably #2, 1, 3, 5 and 4. Pleasant works which may not be earth-shattering, but are certainly decent enough. His #1 may not have the sweeping strokes of Shore's account, but despite its smaller reach, has much to commend it.
Actually I'm not that keen on Shore's LOTR scores, despite some great moments (The Mines/White Tree etc). I recall a review describing the score as barely adequate and didn't entirely disagree (although this didn't stop me collecting everything  ::)). In a way I preferred Stephen Oliver's score for the fine BBC Radio adaptation.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Right now, mezzo-soprano Tuuri Dede is astonishing in Wo bist du Licht? (1981), a haunting piece by Claude Vivier for orchestra and electronics, including recorded texts from Martin Luther King and Robert F. Kennedy's assassination. Barbara Hannigan is conducting the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, magnificently. Live now:

https://www.gso.se/en/gsoplay/video/hannigans-surprise/

--Bruce

vandermolen

Sinfonia da Requiem (Britten).
Another unidiomatic performances with the tempos pulled all over the place (either too slow or too fast). I think that it's supposed to sound original but I think that it just sounds weird (Britten's own Decca recording is much better). On the strength of this I won't be rushing out to buy her Weinberg CD.

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 17, 2021, 08:11:32 AM
Now you're going down the incorrect rabbit hole.  :D ;)

:P

Bach is a warren in itself...  :blank:
Olivier

Que

Tsaraslondon

After a concentrated spell of listening to a lot of Donizetti operas, I've moved to something rather differnt in the consort music of Dowland and Byrd. Though my Donizetti listening involved the three Tudor operas, the sound world here is completely different.

Michael Chance provided vocals on Disc 1 and Elizabeth Liddle plays viol on Disc 2.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2021, 08:36:01 AM
Sinfonia da Requiem (Britten).
Another unidiomatic performances with the tempos pulled all over the place (either too slow or too fast). I think that it's supposed to sound original but I think that it just sounds weird (Britten's own Decca recording is much better). On the strength of this I won't be rushing out to buy her Weinberg CD.

Totally agree. I listened to this a few weeks ago and found it disappointingly uninvolving, and its momentum hobbled by odd conductorial decisions. Don't think I even made it all the way through. Shame.

(p.s found your frog tale in #49603 very funny!)

Spinning here:

Palmgren: Sol och skyar (Sun and Clouds), Op. 102

Jouni Somero (piano)

Twelve short pieces evoking a series of uncomplicated moods, one associated with each month of the year. The textures are nicely transparent and although the music doesn't aspire to any depths, it has some affecting moments, and I find it easy to warm to.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2021, 10:27:41 PM
This is the CD Cesar:

Very helpful, Jeffrey. Lately, many recordings of Nielsen's 5th are not enough to me. Thank you!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2021, 03:09:34 AM
Hello SA

I can't see the image that you posted.  Is this the album that you were playing?  See link:  http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/nov00/eller.htm

PD

Hi, PD!

Yes, that is. For me it's the best CD devoted to the Estonian Heino Eller's music, who was Tubin's teacher, another favorite composer of mine.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on September 17, 2021, 06:10:35 AM
Agreed. I can't say Silvestrov's music appeals to me at all....

There are some works I can tolerate, but overall I do need to be in the right mood when I listen to his music.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on September 17, 2021, 06:13:06 AM
+1 for the Carwithen, but you missed out on what is by far the best movement of the Foulds Keltic Suite, the 2nd movement Lament. It has an unforgettably beautiful main theme!

Good to know, Kyle. To be honest, I wasn't in the mood for Foulds that day, but with your encouragement I'm trying it in its entirely later. Thank you.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2021, 08:15:33 AM
Elgar: Sospiri

Beautifully played and recorded but oddly, IMO, unidiomatic and uninvolved. Barbirolli is much better. The recording is also too spot-lit for my taste. I hope that the rest of the CD is better. There has been much hype about this release:

I only heard the Walton and I thought it was pretty nice, Jeffrey. On the strength of your impressions, I think I'll pass with the rest of the CD.

Noam Chomsky