aligreto

Josquin: Ars Musica [Dufay Ensemble]

Stabat Mater
Domine Exaudi Orationem Meam
Pater Noster

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 18, 2021, 05:06:23 PM
It appears on the CD info:

Young woman at the beach, Walberswick (Suffolk) c. 1886/88 by Philip Wilson Steer (1860–1942)

Thank you, also.

aligreto

Buxtehude: Scandinavian Cantatas [Hillier]

Praeludium in E minor
Pange lingua gloriosi
Herren var Gud
Ecce nunc benedicto Domino
Att du, Jesu, vill mig hora

Que

Quote from: aligreto on September 19, 2021, 01:50:41 AM
Josquin: Ars Musica [Dufay Ensemble]

Stabat Mater
Domine Exaudi Orationem Meam
Pater Noster

I should start looking for a copy again...

André

Disc 2.

K428, 458. Coupled with Haydn's op 74#3.

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 [Schmidt-Isserstedt]

Some regard this symphony as looking back towards the Classical tradition. I do not agree with that view. To me it is more a pause for breath and contemplation between what went before and what was yet to come. Yes, there are certainly nods back in that direction but there are too many elements of the musical language of the fourth that have their origin in the third for me to see it any other way. This is another wonderfully powerful work; different, as they all were, but very alluring and attractive.

The Symphony starts with a Haydnesque slow introduction. This prolonged slow, dark, brooding introduction belies what is to come. With a series of chords the orchestra ultimately breaks free and launches into a light and sunny theme. The writing for the woodwinds is particularly wonderful in this movement. There is also great dynamic range in this movement coupled with great energy and drive.

The Adagio contains really lovely music. The first theme on the flutes with that typical Mozartian throbbing accompaniment on the violins is very beautiful as is that second haunting theme played on the clarinet. The violins ultimately take up the melancholy running. Those woodwinds return and we gradually make our way towards a graceful conclusion.

The third movement is designated "Menuetto" but for all intents and purposes it is  Scherzo. This is indeed a "Minuet" that is far removed from the elegant and graceful examples by both Haydn and Mozart. The other unusual aspect here is the somewhat lengthy Trio section.

The final movement expresses the vital force of Beethoven. It is restless and energetic, bursting with vitality and forward drive.

aligreto

Quote from: Que on September 19, 2021, 03:39:31 AM

I have it as a download. I have listened to only half of it so far but I have found it to be very good indeed.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry

Marin Marais.

Troisieme livre de pieces de Viole (1711)

CD I.

Suite VII en sol majeur & IX en do mineur.

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass viol.
L'Acheron.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2021, 10:35:02 PM
A great performance John. Many years ago I attended a fine performance of the work conducted by Haitink at the Proms - it remains one of my favourite versions. I also like the recordings by Mravinsky, Previn (EMI not DGG) and Slatkin.

Out of curiosity I just looked up the concert - it was in 1983.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e6xc8g

Very nice, Jeffrey. Yes, I think Haitink does incredibly well in Shostakovich in general. Quite possibly along with Kondrashin, one of the more consistent cycles out there, although the newer Sladkovsky with the Tatarstan Symphony Orchestra has proven to be excellent so far and remarkably consistent. I agree with you about Previn on EMI. A fine performance without a doubt. I'm less keen on Slatkin and Mravinsky I feel I've heard before, but I'll have to dig around in my collection and see if I have his recording, which I'm sure I do as I own all of his Shostakovich I believe.

Traverso

Traverso

Quote from: Que on September 19, 2021, 03:39:31 AM

I did send you a tranfer..... ::)

Papy Oli

J.E. Gardiner and the Monteverdi choir in cantata BWV 4 at the Proms this year, a concert video available on the BBC I-player.
Olivier

SonicMan46

A Scottish Lady Mass w/ Red Byrd & Yorvox - St. Andrews, 12th century or so - same group w/ a couple recordings on Leonin from the same period but in Paris; reviews attached along w/ the booklet notes, for those interested.  Dave :)

ritter

Some Debussy this afternoon: Théodore Paraskivesco plays the Deux arabesques, La plus que lente, Le petit nègre, L'isle joyeuse, and the Douze études.

Even if it has never enjoyed wide circulation (it was originally released on the Calliope label, and then reissued by Indesens!—both rather niche operations), this is one of the great traversals of Debussy's complete(ish) piano music I know, with Paraskivesco achieving the perfect balance between, on one hand, a rhythmically alert and "percussive" attack, and, on the other, a full, warm, and enveloping sound, and he let's the music flow naturally (despite the rather fast tempos). His was the first recording of the two books of Images I ever heard, and it's still among my favourites.

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 19, 2021, 07:38:01 AM
A Scottish Lady Mass w/ Red Byrd & Yorvox - St. Andrews, 12th century or so - same group w/ a couple recordings on Leonin from the same period but in Paris; reviews attached along w/ the booklet notes, for those interested.  Dave :)

Yes for me all the Potter/Wistreich recordings are a real high point of early music on record, I've been listening quite recently to the Leonin, and thinking how much I prefer two part organum to Perotin's more complicated music.  I hope you've had a chance to try the Naxos Tomkins recording.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Messiaen

Wonderful music....

Trois Mélodies   

Vocalise Étude   
   Poèmes Pour Mi : Premier Livre   

Poèmes Pour Mi : Deuxième Livre   

Chants De Terre Et De Ciel

Ingrid Kappelle / Håkon Austbø   

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2021, 08:00:01 AM
Yes for me all the Potter/Wistreich recordings are a real high point of early music on record, I've been listening quite recently to the Leonin, and thinking how much I prefer two part organum to Perotin's more complicated music.

I love the timbre of his voice

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 18, 2021, 05:31:51 PM
They're more than conservative IMO. There are some fine moments in each of them. The 2nd features a lovely Barcarolla-like slow movement with a great tune IIRC.

Okay, maybe I was being too harsh on Freitas Branco. ;) I enjoyed the 1st Symphony, which has a rather beautiful slow movement and a good tune in the finale, however I thought the performance on Naxos was a bit lacking in energy and "punch". Regarding the 2nd Symphony, I found the first movement quite uninspiring to be honest, so I haven't made it to the slow movement yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen