What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Quote from: Traverso on September 19, 2021, 07:16:14 AM
I did send you a tranfer..... ::)

Yes, and thank you again.  :) But I still want it on disc.

Bachtoven

Superb playing and sound. (One can always count on Reference Recordings in that regard.)

ritter

Quote from: Traverso on September 19, 2021, 08:00:06 AM
Messiaen

Wonderful music....

Trois Mélodies   

Vocalise Étude   
   Poèmes Pour Mi : Premier Livre   

Poèmes Pour Mi : Deuxième Livre   

Chants De Terre Et De Ciel

Ingrid Kappelle / Håkon Austbø   

Good idea, Jan (and good evening to you).

Some of the same works —Poèmes pour Mi and Chants de Terre et de Ciel— with other performers —María Orán and Yvonne Loriod— .

CD 3 of this set (the older, shorter —18 vs. 25 CDs— Warner Messiaen Edition)

VonStupp

Felix Mendelssohn
Symphony 2 in B-flat Major 'Lobgesang', op. 52

Barbara Bonney, Edith Wiens, Peter Schreier
Leipzig Radio Choir
Gewandhaus - Kurt Masur
(rec. 1989)

I actually like Mendelssohn's Choral Symphony very much, although its proportions are unusual and a bit bulky. I love Masur in Mendelssohn too, and it helps in this particular symphony that he doesn't beat around the bush, coming in under 60 minutes. The singing is particularly well done here as well.

This Gutenberg Bible cover has always been rather eye-catching to me.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2021, 08:00:01 AM
Yes for me all the Potter/Wistreich recordings are a real high point of early music on record, I've been listening quite recently to the Leonin, and thinking how much I prefer two part organum to Perotin's more complicated music.  I hope you've had a chance to try the Naxos Tomkins recording.

Well, I was on a Leonin/Perotin kick earlier this year (must have been reading a book?) - now, on 'T' in my early music collection w/ a lot of English composers coming up, such as Thomas Tallis, John Taverner, Thomas Tomkins (do have a Naxos CD w/ Red Byrd), and Christopher Tye (must be more but those are the ones I own?). At the moment:

Taverner, John (c.1490-1545) - Masses & Others w/ the performers on the discs below; from the link below, his output was not large, mainly about 8 masses and two dozen motets (plus a few other works).  Dave :)

P.S. not to be confused w/ John Tavener (1944-2013), a much later English composer of choral works.

QuoteJohn Taverner was an English composer and organist, regarded as one of the most important English composers of his era. He is best-known for Missa Gloria tibi Trinitas and The Western Wynde Mass, and Missa Corona Spinea is also often viewed as a masterwork. Most of Taverner's music is vocal, and includes masses, Magnificats and motets. The bulk of his output is thought to date from the 1520s. His best-known motet is Dum Transisset Sabbatum. One of his best-known masses is based on a popular song called The Western Wynde (John Sheppard and Christopher Tye later also wrote masses based on this same song). (Source)

aligreto

Berlioz: Requiem [Inbal]

This is a big, powerful and magnificent work by any standard. The orchestral writing is extremely fine but, for me, the strength of this work lies in the choral writing which is wonderful, glorious, radiant and magnificently powerful. However, the orchestral scoring never falls below a very high standard that is requisite to the achievement of a unifying whole in terms of the overall work. It is certainly sensitive to and helps to propel the choral voices forward. This is a work that is also laden with drama, tension, power, atmosphere and emotion as befits a major work in this genre. The third movement is almost overwhelming in its portrayal of powerful emotion! Such magnificence! It is given superb treatment here. This is both a magnificent and glorious work and presentation.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on September 19, 2021, 08:11:51 AM
Yes, and thank you again.  :) But I still want it on disc.

I wish you the best of luck but you will see that it is not easy to find  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on September 19, 2021, 09:27:09 AM
It is Fergus.. :)

That set was my introduction to the artistry of Rousset, Jan.

Traverso

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 19, 2021, 09:07:12 AM
Well, I was on a Leonin/Perotin kick earlier this year (must have been reading a book?) - now, on 'T' in my early music collection w/ a lot of English composers coming up, such as Thomas Tallis, John Taverner, Thomas Tomkins (do have a Naxos CD w/ Red Byrd), and Christopher Tye (must be more but those are the ones I own?). At the moment:

Taverner, John (c.1490-1545) - Masses & Others w/ the performers on the discs below; from the link below, his output was not large, mainly about 8 masses and two dozen motets (plus a few other works).  Dave :)

P.S. not to be confused w/ John Tavener (1944-2013), a much later English composer of choral works.

You're like that autodidact guy in Sartre's Nausée who's working his way through all the books in the National Library of France alphabetically
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: ritter on September 19, 2021, 08:54:52 AM
Good idea, Jan (and good evening to you).

Some of the same works —Poèmes pour Mi and Chants de Terre et de Ciel— with other performers —María Orán and Yvonne Loriod— .

CD 3 of this set (the older, shorter —18 vs. 25 CDs— Warner Messiaen Edition)

Be assured Rafael,I have it in this edition  :)  And a good evening to you too.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on September 19, 2021, 09:09:50 AM
Berlioz: Requiem [Inbal]

This is a big, powerful and magnificent work by any standard. The orchestral writing is extremely fine but, for me, the strength of this work lies in the choral writing which is wonderful, glorious, radiant and magnificently powerful. However, the orchestral scoring never falls below a very high standard that is requisite to the achievement of a unifying whole in terms of the overall work. It is certainly sensitive to and helps to propel the choral voices forward. This is a work that is also laden with drama, tension, power, atmosphere and emotion as befits a major work in this genre. The third movement is almost overwhelming in its portrayal of powerful emotion! Such magnificence! It is given superb treatment here. This is both a magnificent and glorious work and presentation.

My favourite of all Requiems of all composers. By a country mile! 🙂

aligreto

Gorecki- Symphony No. 3 [Swoboda]

I have always liked this work. This is a big, powerful presentation of this work. The opening movement is near perfect. Those double basses are wonderful throughout. The playing throughout is superb and emotional. The direction is very taut without impinging on the integrity of the music; it is all very well held together. The dynamics in this movement are also very well controlled. The second movement is wonderfully powerful,  atmospheric and enchanting. The soprano, Kilanowicz, is quite haunting in places and she carries off her part exquisitely. The final movement is very well balanced in terms of the delivery of the emotions and the dynamics. Once again, Kilanowicz excels in her delivery. A supreme performance! The expansive recording is also really wonderful throughout.

I really should, after hearing this, do an A/B comparison session of Kilanowicz/Swoboda vs. Kilanowicz/Wit.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 19, 2021, 10:18:53 AM

My favourite of all Requiems of all composers. By a country mile! 🙂

I can readily understand that, Ray.

aligreto

Quote from: ultralinear on September 19, 2021, 10:28:17 AM
Janáček Taras Bulba (Horenstein / Vienna Pro Musica aka Wiener Symphoniker)

Wow.

Horenstein was a great and one of my personal favourite conductors.

bhodges

Quote from: ultralinear on September 19, 2021, 10:28:17 AM
Janáček Taras Bulba (Horenstein / Vienna Pro Musica aka Wiener Symphoniker)

Wow.

What an exciting recording (as a fan of both pieces). How is the sound? I know not to expect miracles, just hoping it's "not bad."

Quote from: aligreto on September 19, 2021, 10:52:27 AM
Horenstein was a great and one of my personal favourite conductors.

His Nielsen 5 was my introduction, and an incredible one.

--Bruce

VonStupp

Felix Mendelssohn
Die Erste Walpurgisnacht, op. 60

Soloists
Cleveland Orch. & Chorus - Christoph von Dohnányi
(rec. 1988)

Mendelssohn's cantata about Druids pulling a nighttime prank on the overbearing Christians is a hoot. At the very least, the overture should stand as an equal to his other more famous ones.

As usual from this time, Cleveland sounds great under Dohnányi.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."