Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1918323 times)

vers la flamme (+ 1 Hidden) and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49780 on: September 19, 2021, 07:00:06 AM »
Messiaen

Wonderful music....

Trois Mélodies   

Vocalise Étude   
   Poèmes Pour Mi : Premier Livre   

Poèmes Pour Mi : Deuxième Livre   

Chants De Terre Et De Ciel

Ingrid Kappelle / Håkon Austbø   

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49781 on: September 19, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
Yes for me all the Potter/Wistreich recordings are a real high point of early music on record, I’ve been listening quite recently to the Leonin, and thinking how much I prefer two part organum to Perotin’s more complicated music.

I love the timbre of his voice

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #49782 on: September 19, 2021, 07:03:40 AM »
They're more than conservative IMO. There are some fine moments in each of them. The 2nd features a lovely Barcarolla-like slow movement with a great tune IIRC.

Okay, maybe I was being too harsh on Freitas Branco. ;) I enjoyed the 1st Symphony, which has a rather beautiful slow movement and a good tune in the finale, however I thought the performance on Naxos was a bit lacking in energy and “punch”. Regarding the 2nd Symphony, I found the first movement quite uninspiring to be honest, so I haven’t made it to the slow movement yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #49783 on: September 19, 2021, 07:09:50 AM »
I love the timbre of his voice

I think he’s a Geordie.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49784 on: September 19, 2021, 07:11:51 AM »
I did send you a tranfer..... ::)

Yes, and thank you again.  :) But I still want it on disc.

Bachtoven

« Reply #49785 on: September 19, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
Superb playing and sound. (One can always count on Reference Recordings in that regard.)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #49786 on: September 19, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
Messiaen

Wonderful music....

Trois Mélodies   

Vocalise Étude   
   Poèmes Pour Mi : Premier Livre   

Poèmes Pour Mi : Deuxième Livre   

Chants De Terre Et De Ciel

Ingrid Kappelle / Håkon Austbø   

Good idea, Jan (and good evening to you).

Some of the same works —Poèmes pour Mi and Chants de Terre et de Ciel— with other performers —María Orán and Yvonne Loriod— .

CD 3 of this set (the older, shorter —18 vs. 25 CDs— Warner Messiaen Edition)

ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« …tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #49787 on: September 19, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
Felix Mendelssohn
Symphony 2 in B-flat Major 'Lobgesang', op. 52

Barbara Bonney, Edith Wiens, Peter Schreier
Leipzig Radio Choir
Gewandhaus - Kurt Masur
(rec. 1989)

I actually like Mendelssohn's Choral Symphony very much, although its proportions are unusual and a bit bulky. I love Masur in Mendelssohn too, and it helps in this particular symphony that he doesn't beat around the bush, coming in under 60 minutes. The singing is particularly well done here as well.

This Gutenberg Bible cover has always been rather eye-catching to me.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:20:54 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #49788 on: September 19, 2021, 08:07:12 AM »
Yes for me all the Potter/Wistreich recordings are a real high point of early music on record, I’ve been listening quite recently to the Leonin, and thinking how much I prefer two part organum to Perotin’s more complicated music.  I hope you’ve had a chance to try the Naxos Tomkins recording.

Well, I was on a Leonin/Perotin kick earlier this year (must have been reading a book?) - now, on 'T' in my early music collection w/ a lot of English composers coming up, such as Thomas Tallis, John Taverner, Thomas Tomkins (do have a Naxos CD w/ Red Byrd), and Christopher Tye (must be more but those are the ones I own?). At the moment:

Taverner, John (c.1490-1545) - Masses & Others w/ the performers on the discs below; from the link below, his output was not large, mainly about 8 masses and two dozen motets (plus a few other works).  Dave :)

P.S. not to be confused w/ John Tavener (1944-2013), a much later English composer of choral works.

John Taverner was an English composer and organist, regarded as one of the most important English composers of his era. He is best-known for Missa Gloria tibi Trinitas and The Western Wynde Mass, and Missa Corona Spinea is also often viewed as a masterwork. Most of Taverner's music is vocal, and includes masses, Magnificats and motets. The bulk of his output is thought to date from the 1520s. His best-known motet is Dum Transisset Sabbatum. One of his best-known masses is based on a popular song called The Western Wynde (John Sheppard and Christopher Tye later also wrote masses based on this same song). (Source)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #49789 on: September 19, 2021, 08:09:50 AM »
Berlioz: Requiem [Inbal]

This is a big, powerful and magnificent work by any standard. The orchestral writing is extremely fine but, for me, the strength of this work lies in the choral writing which is wonderful, glorious, radiant and magnificently powerful. However, the orchestral scoring never falls below a very high standard that is requisite to the achievement of a unifying whole in terms of the overall work. It is certainly sensitive to and helps to propel the choral voices forward. This is a work that is also laden with drama, tension, power, atmosphere and emotion as befits a major work in this genre. The third movement is almost overwhelming in its portrayal of powerful emotion! Such magnificence! It is given superb treatment here. This is both a magnificent and glorious work and presentation.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #49790 on: September 19, 2021, 08:10:27 AM »
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49791 on: September 19, 2021, 08:26:01 AM »
Yes, and thank you again.  :) But I still want it on disc.

I wish you the best of luck but you will see that it is not easy to find  :)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49792 on: September 19, 2021, 08:27:09 AM »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #49793 on: September 19, 2021, 08:31:06 AM »
It is Fergus.. :)

That set was my introduction to the artistry of Rousset, Jan.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49794 on: September 19, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »
The Pilgrimage to Santiago

CD 1

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #49795 on: September 19, 2021, 08:32:31 AM »
Well, I was on a Leonin/Perotin kick earlier this year (must have been reading a book?) - now, on 'T' in my early music collection w/ a lot of English composers coming up, such as Thomas Tallis, John Taverner, Thomas Tomkins (do have a Naxos CD w/ Red Byrd), and Christopher Tye (must be more but those are the ones I own?). At the moment:

Taverner, John (c.1490-1545) - Masses & Others w/ the performers on the discs below; from the link below, his output was not large, mainly about 8 masses and two dozen motets (plus a few other works).  Dave :)

P.S. not to be confused w/ John Tavener (1944-2013), a much later English composer of choral works.

You’re like that autodidact guy in Sartre’s Nausée who’s working his way through all the books in the National Library of France alphabetically
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:52:30 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49796 on: September 19, 2021, 08:42:24 AM »
Good idea, Jan (and good evening to you).

Some of the same works —Poèmes pour Mi and Chants de Terre et de Ciel— with other performers —María Orán and Yvonne Loriod— .

CD 3 of this set (the older, shorter —18 vs. 25 CDs— Warner Messiaen Edition)

Be assured Rafael,I have it in this edition  :)  And a good evening to you too.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #49797 on: September 19, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »

Op 74.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #49798 on: September 19, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
Berlioz: Requiem [Inbal]

This is a big, powerful and magnificent work by any standard. The orchestral writing is extremely fine but, for me, the strength of this work lies in the choral writing which is wonderful, glorious, radiant and magnificently powerful. However, the orchestral scoring never falls below a very high standard that is requisite to the achievement of a unifying whole in terms of the overall work. It is certainly sensitive to and helps to propel the choral voices forward. This is a work that is also laden with drama, tension, power, atmosphere and emotion as befits a major work in this genre. The third movement is almost overwhelming in its portrayal of powerful emotion! Such magnificence! It is given superb treatment here. This is both a magnificent and glorious work and presentation.

My favourite of all Requiems of all composers. By a country mile! 🙂

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #49799 on: September 19, 2021, 09:49:22 AM »
Gorecki- Symphony No. 3 [Swoboda]

I have always liked this work. This is a big, powerful presentation of this work. The opening movement is near perfect. Those double basses are wonderful throughout. The playing throughout is superb and emotional. The direction is very taut without impinging on the integrity of the music; it is all very well held together. The dynamics in this movement are also very well controlled. The second movement is wonderfully powerful,  atmospheric and enchanting. The soprano, Kilanowicz, is quite haunting in places and she carries off her part exquisitely. The final movement is very well balanced in terms of the delivery of the emotions and the dynamics. Once again, Kilanowicz excels in her delivery. A supreme performance! The expansive recording is also really wonderful throughout.

I really should, after hearing this, do an A/B comparison session of Kilanowicz/Swoboda vs. Kilanowicz/Wit.