What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato, Harry, AnotherSpin and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 20, 2021, 08:19:02 AM
Bartok 3 from this:

I feel that this early set really highlights how groundbreaking and difficult these quartets were. And how  many really excellent quartets who can play these quartets superbly and seemingly easily we have these days.

Yes, the technical proficiency of classical musicians in general has come a long way. Given all the music the Juilliard String Quartet could perform by the 1980s, it does make their earlier achievements sound a bit "rough and ready" so to speak, but what I admire about many of these older recordings is the freshness of them when things were still new and being worked through.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2021, 08:22:36 AM
Yes, the technical proficiency of classical musicians in general has come a long way. Given all the music the Juilliard String Quartet could perform by the 1980s, it does make their earlier achievements sound a bit "rough and ready" so to speak, but what I admire about many of these older recordings is the freshness of them when things were still new and being worked through.

and a sense of adventure I suppose....?  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on September 20, 2021, 08:30:02 AM
and a sense of adventure I suppose....?  :)

Sure. Exploring the unknown and all of that.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2021, 08:22:36 AM

Yes, that is why they are very worth listening to. Perspective and context and all that stuff.  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 20, 2021, 08:37:16 AM
Yes, that is why they are very worth listening to. Perspective and context and all that stuff.  ;)

Indeed. :)

Traverso

Schönberg

Verklärte Nacht
Variations for Orchestra Op.31

Berliner Philharmoniker

Karl Henning

CD 25:

Gesualdo Madrigals conducted by Robt Craft

Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa ad CD annum & Illumina nos from Tres Sacræ Cantiones, for which Stravinsky supplied the missing sextus and bassus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

CD 29:

"Wolferl"

Divertimento in D, K. 251
Divertimento in Bb, K. 270
Serenade № 6 in D Serenata notturna, K. 239

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Karl, are you still going in order? You're making great progress. Bouncing around out of order, I think I've listened to all of 18 discs and parts of 3-4 more. Got plans to get to the halfway mark this week.

Mirror Image

NP:

Martinů
String Quartet No. 3, H. 268
Pražák Quartet

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 20, 2021, 08:05:12 AM
Tchaikovsky - String Quartets No.2 & 3

Oh I really love these performances, particularly of the Souvenirs de Florence.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: The new erato on September 20, 2021, 08:19:02 AM
Bartok 3 from this:

I feel that this early set really highlights how groundbreaking and difficult these quartets were. And how  many really excellent quartets who can play these quartets superbly and seemingly easily we have these days.

I hadn't realized how interesting the repertoire is on that collection. A huge temptation.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

The new erato

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 20, 2021, 09:29:32 AM
I hadn't realized how interesting the repertoire is on that collection. A huge temptation.

It's worthwhile even if you're only interested in the handful of discs of US repertoire.

The new erato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 20, 2021, 09:19:19 AM
Oh I really love these performances, particularly of the Souvenirs de Florence.
A seriously underappreciated work. It always charms the socks off me.

Brian

Heck yeah. En Saga that really feels saga-like. Absolutely terrifying, take-no-prisoners Pohjola. Thrill rides. Ormandy + Sibelius = dream team.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2021, 09:17:49 AM
Karl, are you still going in order? You're making great progress. Bouncing around out of order, I think I've listened to all of 18 discs and parts of 3-4 more. Got plans to get to the halfway mark this week.

In order, Brian.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

NP:

Prokofiev
String Quartet No. 2 in F Major, Op. 92
Pavel Haas Quartet

71 dB

Salvatore Di Vittorio (b. 1967). Volume II of his orchestral works on Naxos (8.579033).

I'm a lot into this Italian composer who "follows the footsteps of Respighi." I like the first volume a lot and this second volume sounds great too. The opening work "Ode Corelliana" was impressive. This music is very easy to listen to, but it isn't dumb. Under the surface it is interesting, at least to my ears...  :P

These are quite fresh compositions. The oldest composition on this disc is from 2011 and the newest, Sinfonia No. 4 was completed in 2019.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bachtoven

Today Symphony No.7 and the Violin Concerto. Both are excellent. Heifetz has always been my gold standard, but Ferras does a fine job—perhaps a little less white hot at times than Heifetz.