What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Saint-Saens: 1st Symphony.

Exuberance of youth with a pastoral flavoured Adagio which I liked a lot. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Hat tip to Jeffrey.

Modest Mussorgsky.

Pictures of a Exhibition, orch. Henry Wood.

BBC National orchestra of Wales, Francois Xavier Roth.

A refreshing alternative, and therefore worthwhile. Would have liked the tempi a little faster,but that's a minor quibble.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Georg Philipp Telemann.
Wind Concertos Volume III.

La Stagione Frankfurt & Camerata Koln, Michael Schneider.
Recordings 2005-2006.

The performances leaves nothing to be desired, this is a pure approach of Telemann's music.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on September 20, 2021, 11:54:08 PM
Hat tip to Jeffrey.

Modest Mussorgsky.

Pictures of a Exhibition, orch. Henry Wood.

BBC National orchestra of Wales, Francois Xavier Roth.

A refreshing alternative, and therefore worthwhile. Would have liked the tempi a little faster,but that's a minor quibble.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

I've been embarking on an Elgar Odyssey.

Du Pré's Cello Concerto was followed by Nigel Kennedy's second rcording of the Violin Concerto with Simon Rattle. It was his frst recording that put him on the map and his second seems to have divided opinion. He and Rattle adopt quite expansive tempi, but I like this recording and the Vaughan-Williams is wonderfully rapt.

Barbirolli is often my guide in Elgar (as he was in Du Pré's Cello Concerto), as also in Vaughan-Williams, and this disc is an absolute classic, which has rarely been out of the catalogue For this issue, EMI added Elgar's Elegy and Sospiri, one of the most heartbreaking five minutes in all of music. A wonderful disc.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Que

vandermolen

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 21, 2021, 12:37:38 AM
I've been embarking on an Elgar Odyssey.

Du Pré's Cello Concerto was followed by Nigel Kennedy's second rcording of the Violin Concerto with Simon Rattle. It was his frst recording that put him on the map and his second seems to have divided opinion. He and Rattle adopt quite expansive tempi, but I like this recording and the Vaughan-Williams is wonderfully rapt.

Barbirolli is often my guide in Elgar (as he was in Du Pré's Cello Concerto), as also in Vaughan-Williams, and this disc is an absolute classic, which has rarely been out of the catalogue For this issue, EMI added Elgar's Elegy and Sospiri, one of the most heartbreaking five minutes in all of music. A wonderful disc.

In my opinion the performance of the heart-breaking 'Sospiri' is incomparably better than the much-hyped, recent DGG 'The British Project' recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

On a par with the Men.

New acquisition.

Ethel Smyth, Sonata for Violin and Piano, opus 7.
Louise Farrenc, Deuxieme sonata pour Piano et Violin, opus 39.
Pauline Viardot-Garcia, Six morceaux.
Lili Boulanger, Nocturne.

Thomas Irnberger, Violin.
Barbara Moser, Piano.
SACD recording.

Sheer perfection. I was impressed by the short piece by Lili Boulanger. An immense talent cut short in her tracks when she dies only 24. The CD is filled with fine works. I am a huge fan of this duo. I met Barbare Moser some years ago, and found her a captivating personality and an excellent pianist.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2021, 10:19:15 AM

Heck yeah. En Saga that really feels saga-like. Absolutely terrifying, take-no-prisoners Pohjola. Thrill rides. Ormandy + Sibelius = dream team.
Sounds wonderful!  I'll have to hunt this album out.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2021, 01:14:40 AM
In my opinion the performance of the heart-breaking 'Sospiri' is incomparably better than the much-hyped, recent DGG 'The British Project' recording.

The hype hadn't got to me yet, so I looked the record up and now I remember reading a negative response from a contrubutor to another forum, but that's all I've seen. Barbirolli's version is absolutely hear-wrenching, as if exposing some deep, private inner grief. What he concentrates into that five minutes is extraordirnary.

Harry

Joseph Lauber.

Symphony No 3 & 6.
Die Alpen, Symphonic Suite.

Sinfonie Orchester Biel Solothurn, Kaspar Zehnder.

A Swiss composer which should be heard. His music holds a lot of interest.

Tsaraslondon

Conyinuing my Elgar journey with some of his lighter works.

vandermolen

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 21, 2021, 02:11:41 AM
The hype hadn't got to me yet, so I looked the record up and now I remember reading a negative response from a contrubutor to another forum, but that's all I've seen. Barbirolli's version is absolutely hear-wrenching, as if exposing some deep, private inner grief. What he concentrates into that five minutes is extraordirnary.
Totally agree.

Now playing (2nd listen)
Penderecki Symphony No.3
Increasingly impressed by this work:

Traverso

Traverso

Quote from: Que on September 21, 2021, 12:45:43 AM
Morning listening:

I will listen to this recording later this day  :)

ritter

First listen to the Hindemith SQs, with CD 1 (SQ No. 2 and SQ No. 3) of the Amar Quartet's complete traversal on Naxos:

Que

Harry

Richard Flury.
Orchestral Music. Volume II.
Liepaja SO, Paul Mann.
Alexandre Dubach, Violin

One of my great discoveries this year, this unknown, but fine composer. His music gives me so much joy. Certainly in the present performances.

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

JS Bach - Various Flute Sonatas (Musica Antiqua Köln)

Olivier

foxandpeng

Walter Piston
Symphony #6 'Gettysburg'
Alexsander Gauk
Moscow RSO

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy