What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Another new arrival, another maiden listen: Carlos Chávez' Sinfonía de Antígona (LSO, Eduardo Mata). From this set:

I did not know this work is derived from incidental music Chávez had composed for a Mexican production of Jean Cocteau's Antigone. Interesting.

foxandpeng

Walter Piston
Symphonies 2 and 6
Gerald Schwarz
Seattle Symphony Orchestra

Piston's #2 is rightly lauded as being the raison d'être of this disc, but I have to confess that today it is #6 that really grabs me here. I much prefer the more modern recording over the Gauk with the Moscow RSO.

This is fine music.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Joachim Raff.

Symphony No. 2, opus 140.
Overtures.

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Neeme Jarvi.

Excellent performances and recording. It does not wholly surpass Stadlmair on Tudor, but it has its own qualities. Love both interpretations. Stadlmair is complete, Jarvi never will meet completion.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on September 21, 2021, 05:32:55 AM
Another new arrival, another maiden listen: Carlos Chávez' Sinfonía de Antígona (LSO, Eduardo Mata). From this set:

I did not know this work is derived from incidental music Chávez had composed for a Mexican production of Jean Cocteau's Antigone. Interesting.
I really like that set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Spotted Horses

Returned to the Weinberg Chamber Symphony No 3 in this recording, by the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin

A world of difference from the Naxos recording, which I found extremely unsatisfying. The final movement, in particular, came to life in this recording. It alternates between a jaunty andantino melody and what sound like a slightly off-kilter hymn tune.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

kyjo

Quote from: Madiel on September 20, 2021, 04:05:33 AM
Not looking at this thread for nearly a week was dangerous. I had to skip about 30 pages worth...

Sibelius early chamber music.

Is the music any good, though? Be honest! ;) The early chamber works of Sibelius that I've heard were disappointingly dull and unmemorable to my ears.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2021, 07:21:51 AM
Since I skipped a live concert of Converse's Mystic Trumpeter this weekend, streaming it now.

How could you possibly afford to miss out on that? Shame!! :D

P.S. I don't know the piece (yet) so I'm merely being facetious.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: ritter on September 21, 2021, 04:07:20 AM
First listen to the Hindemith SQs, with CD 1 (SQ No. 2 and SQ No. 3) of the Amar Quartet's complete traversal on Naxos:

Pounds the table!!

Irons

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 21, 2021, 06:30:20 AM
Returned to the Weinberg Chamber Symphony No 3 in this recording, by the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin

A world of difference from the Naxos recording, which I found extremely unsatisfying. The final movement, in particular, came to life in this recording. It alternates between a jaunty andantino melody and what sound like a slightly off-kilter hymn tune.

Sorry to hear that. Ordered the Naxos yesterday. :(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2021, 10:19:27 PM
This just arrived here as well John - I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I'll have to re-listen, Jeffrey. Last night, I wasn't really in the mood for the music. In fact, today I'll be taking a break from classical to listen to some other musical interests.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Irons on September 21, 2021, 06:47:18 AM
Sorry to hear that. Ordered the Naxos yesterday. :(

Well, you may like it more than I did.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

The new erato

The cello concerto to end all cello concertos. No 2 from this 2 CD set:

No 1 is a very fine concerto as well, though less gloomy and noisy.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Samuel Jones: Symphony No.3 (Palo Duro Canyon)
This is my favourite work on this enjoyable and imaginative CD (I also have a recording of the Symphony No.3 on Naxos):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2021, 06:20:23 PM
NP:

Debussy
Préludes, Books I & II
Jacobs

Desert island music for me and Jacobs performance is still the one to best.

Lately when I've listened to the Préludes, it has been the excellent recording by my old friend Haydée Schvarz.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 21, 2021, 06:30:20 AM

Good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on September 21, 2021, 07:05:57 AM
The cello concerto to end all cello concertos. No 2 from this 2 CD set:

No 1 is a very fine concerto as well, though less gloomy and noisy.

Great album!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA